PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Premium

As interesting as the history of 00 and its so called standards are does it relate to Peco's new product. Do any of Peco's points and crossings comply with the  B M R S B standards of many moons ago, more importantly what are the dimensions of the new Peco point. No need to guess at them from their advert photos but wait until someone has one in the left hand and a vernier in the other. I think they will be close but not that close. Will my Tri-ang Class 37 on its Lima chassis go through them?

In my opinion, OO has to pass the 3 foot rule.  How does it look from 3 foot.  If it passes that test, how does it run.

I have memories of looking at the Tri-ang Catalogue at the M7 and drooling...

post-2484-0-08827800-1507397885.jpg

I actually got the loco as a present from my parents..

post-2484-0-10846600-1507397886_thumb.jpg

Oh the disappointment...  Yes it had a firebox glow...  yes I think I could open the smokebox door...   BUT....  the driving wheels were far too big...  what a let down...

However I think the Peco OO bullhead points will get my two ticks of approval, especially if the have proper point blades...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In my opinion, OO has to pass the 3 foot rule.  How does it look from 3 foot.  If it passes that test, how does it run.

Surely it has to pass the 4 feet 1.5inch rule...........?

:locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up; duly ordered some. 

~~~~

Am I the first to say that?  In, what, 129 pages of general waffle about how OO modellers are somehow not following the One True Faith?

I do recall at the last Census, putting "Hattons" as my religion, mainly because the Jedi had let me down - my planet was blown up some years ago.

I know that there are people doing live steam with radio control for garden railways, but are there any radio-controlled clockwork locomotives around?

If only Tag-Heuer made model railways?

:snapback.png

Hattons now have the bullhead points for preorder at £26.

Hello has no one noticed this post .........everyone's been speculating and if that's the price I reckon it's a fair price......

It seems to be about double Hatton's price for a large radius point in code 75 FB. Given the amount of hand assembly probably required to produce it I'd agree that this is a fair price. The bullhead plain track is £4.50 against £3.00 and again that looks fair.

On Hattons website Peco's 83 line turnouts which have metal guard rails (check rails) are between £16-19 so the pricing does seem to reflect the complexity of the product and it's likely production volume rather than "premium" pricing.

Edited by Pacific231G

Hello has no one noticed this post .........everyone's been speculating and if that's the price I reckon it's a fair price......

I noticed it, and I think it is a very fair price - It is a pretty niche market and for something that looks OK and will work (PECO track does work) its good to me

Four for under a ton would be nice incentive to buy.

Who says Peco plan anything else at this stage, before sales success for the first examples is known?

Peco - according to their man at Guildex, but no specifics: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107569-peco-announces-bullhead-track-for-oo/page-114&do=findComment&comment=2840937

Edited by Pint of Adnams

I'm relatively new to the hobby, and have spent a long time planning a steam era layout whilst I slowly convert the loft.

I knew absolutely nothing about the different types of track before reading about it on rmweb. I would have probably been happy using set track. However now I know the difference I decided to opt for the new peco bullhead for my layout. I bought a box of flexi track the other month and have ordered 6 points.

I will be taking my time with my layout and see it as a long-term project to last many years, so I'm hoping Peco do expand the range and I'm happy to wait for them to do so. I'd quite like some crossovers next.

I won't have the skill or free time for building points and would prefer to focus my attention on other aspects of the hobby.

I've read comments describing Peco's bullhead range as niche, but if they can offer a full range I'd hope there are others in a similar situation to myself that it would appeal to.

Edited by 31B
  • Like 8

In a few years time the BH range, and I don't think there will not be a range, will be the normal first choice for many discerning OO modellers. The history will be forgotten or not even learned, and it will be as though it has always been there......

• Like 4

I would love to see a three-way point and a Y (wye?) point next- they would make laying out my centre release road easier- but I would wager that curved LH and RH points would probably sell better.  (Peco must know what pointwork they sell the most of and it would make economic sense to roll out bullhead versions of the best sellers first, and then... well what happens afterward happens, doesn't it?)

Let's hope these first points sell well enough to encourage further development!