PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

This is good news, But what will the point work be like?,......Will the blades be 4 feet away from the stock rail when open, this i have never understood why you need such a large gap for the wheel flanges to pass through.

so i hope they do something about that with these new points, also sleeper spacings of British track work, will they do this, Or keep it like it is for code 75/100?.

Mind you if the flexitrack turns out to be right i can see this selling well, save a lot of time laying track, (i know) and it will be cheaper than C+L track, I think this is a good move by them.

As a sceptic, another question now crosses my mind. Is Peco willingly offering this new plain track with genuine willingness to also produce points if it sells well? Suppose instead they have had this design in reserve for some time, and have now seen the threat from the rumoured DCC Concepts ready made pointwork range, possibly from the admittedly pricey C & L items, and from the announced intentions of one of our fellows on this forum. Might the current move simply be aimed at spoiling the market for rivals, so as to ensure that genuine competitors to the existing Peco points never appear, or at least that their manufacturers don't survive for long enough to make any real impression, leaving Peco free to simply continue to offer the existing code 75 points?

Perhaps my hypothesis is simply too fanciful and no more than another unfounded conspiracy theory?

There might be something in this - I did suggest on 'that' other thread that Peco might have artwork etc ready to go if a competitor appeared.....

in over 70 posts I can't find anyone picking a single fault or creating any heat.

What exactly is your point?

Martin.

Long may it remain free of fault-picking and heat (and free of further claims that anything other than standard gauge track is being modelled by Peco) , then I won't have a point. 

They should really have released a couple of medium radius points to match  at the same time.This would enable many a small layout to hit the ground running .Now we must wait .I assume that any points will match  the readily available code 75 at least to start with .As it will  never satisfy the bottom feeders anyway  they may well please the other 99.9 % of potential customers.

As has been suggested in a roundabout way, this seems to be the shot across the bows of potential competitors!  The last full range to be introduced was the US Code 83 - was this just plain track first then a gap to the first turnouts?

Also I think the relatively large gap between point blades and stock rails is because, on some points at least, the polarity of the point blade is opposite to the adjacent stock rail - presumably the large gap was to accommodate the steam-roller wheel flanges of 60's RTR stock without shorting!

Edited by Jeff Smith

• RMweb Gold

then I won't have a point. 

It would have been better to wait until you did have one before attempting to foment trouble in yet another topic.

Everyone here has welcomed this announcement from Peco. You are the only one looking for discord.

Martin.

As a sceptic, another question now crosses my mind. Is Peco willingly offering this new plain track with genuine willingness to also produce points if it sells well? Suppose instead they have had this design in reserve for some time, and have now seen the threat from the rumoured DCC Concepts ready made pointwork range, possibly from the admittedly pricey C & L items, and from the announced intentions of one of our fellows on this forum. Might the current move simply be aimed at spoiling the market for rivals, so as to ensure that genuine competitors to the existing Peco points never appear, or at least that their manufacturers don't survive for long enough to make any real impression, leaving Peco free to simply continue to offer the existing code 75 points?

Perhaps my hypothesis is simply too fanciful and no more than another unfounded conspiracy theory?

I also wondered whether Peco might release plain track in the expectation that it won't sell in an effort to quash any further grumbling about track which represents a British prototype.

But then I am just a cynical old git.

I will, of course, jump on the Peco band wagon when it arrives.

Bob 

Give it a rest, for crying out loud!

Why does every single thread even remotely connected with "trackwork" bring out the worst in folk. Live and let live and get  a grip.

They should really have released a couple of medium radius points to match  at the same time.This would enable many a small layout to hit the ground running .Now we must wait .I assume that any points will match  the readily available code 75 at least to start with .As it will  never satisfy the bottom feeders anyway  they may well please the other 99.9 % of potential customers.

No!

Large radius points please. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a sceptic, another question now crosses my mind. Is Peco willingly offering this new plain track with genuine willingness to also produce points if it sells well? Suppose instead they have had this design in reserve for some time, and have now seen the threat from the rumoured DCC Concepts ready made pointwork range, possibly from the admittedly pricey C & L items, and from the announced intentions of one of our fellows on this forum. Might the current move simply be aimed at spoiling the market for rivals, so as to ensure that genuine competitors to the existing Peco points never appear, or at least that their manufacturers don't survive for long enough to make any real impression, leaving Peco free to simply continue to offer the existing code 75 points?

Peco products are undergoing other changes with the existing Insulfrog and Electrofrog points being replaced by Unifrog equivalents. These will behave like Electrofrogs as bought but, with the snip of a couple of wires, will behave like Insulfrogs for those who still haven't got their heads round the idea.

Unifrogs already feature in the new HOn3 range and I understand that the OO/HO programme will be implemented gradually as the existing tools come up for renewal. In time, it will lead to a significant (almost 50%) reduction in the number of tools required to produce the flat bottom ranges.

My guess is that the toolroom capacity thus freed up will enable Peco to launch a range of bullhead points using their existing resources. 

The launch of the plain track ahead of any such announcement is, I suggest, a "toe-in-the-water" to verify that "we" will actually put our money where our mouths are. :triniti:

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Guest 40-something

I welcome this news and will use it on my next UK layout.

Points wise I make my own to Peco's geometry (my choice!) as I dont really like the look of them

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great news from the Beer Heights team, I shall certainly be buying a lot of it. I wonder if PECO will offer the new track as 'pre-weathered' as Tillig have done with their track; that would make it even more attractive to me, I am one of those who hate weathering track.

Godfrey

Pete/ Blackrat

Interesting alternatives there. Maybe you might be right. Maybe you might not.

Maybe Peco will produce turnouts in the future, but I would have thought that if that was the case they would release it at the same time- after all what good is bullhead track punctuated by flat bottom turnouts?

Richard,

yes you might well be right. After all C&L will be able to build/ supply parts for a B 9.75 on a left hand 10 chain curve, whereas Peco won't. It is a valid point and I respect that. However, the announcement is for bullhead track, not for turnouts. Experience has shown that you should judge based upon what is, not what might or might not be in the future, but I thank you for your suggestion. I must admit to some great loyalty to C&L as I think they have done an awful lot- not just for model layouts but I also respect Pete as a businessman.

• Like 1

When's it being released, how much will it cost and can I pre-order a couple of boxes please?

(PS Peco, I get paid tomorrow so if you could release it anytime now-ish I'll make sure I get my order in before my student loans, car insurance, tax and other such frivolities come out the pay packet...)

• Like 1

My memory may be foggy but I think Peco launched the USA line code 83 turnouts first.  The US LHS (Local Hobby Store) I am familiar with didn't stock the flex track for a long time. And then only when other sources were having supply problems. Peco code 83 flex was more expensive than Model Engineering works track (US made) or Atlas code 83 (made in China.)

Edited by autocoach

Of course these threads usually polarise between those for whom nothing suits, who, perhaps, should best hold their peace, and those who become incredibly defensive of a product or manufacturer, and who also, therefore, miss the point (or who don't miss the points in this instance).

I like to be broadly positive about announcements.  I am pleased with this one.  It is, as I say, a step in the right direction. 

It is, I think, fair to note the context of this announcement, that Peco have been palming people off with HO track for decades, so "about time too" would seem a fair opening remark.  However late in the day, we should acknowledge that this is the right decision.  I think the market has been mature and discerning enough for such track for some years, but late is better than never.  It is naiveto say that Peco must wait to be sure the product is wanted.  Of course it is.  People only buy HO track because it is the only widely available and reasonably priced ready to lay range there is.  If Peco had offered OO track sooner, of course people would have bought it in preference to HO track.

My concern, and where I think Peco is erring, is to expect people to buy a lot ofplain track with no points to go with them.  Perhaps people will.  If so, "good" I say, because it will hasten the day when points are introduced.

I won't invest in this track unless and until there are ready-to-lay points to go with it.  Let us hope for one of 2 things, then, either Peco change their minds and start producing points anyway, or, significant numbers of people won't think like me and will build vast layouts with no points!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Despite the odd conspiracy theory it proves Peco do listen and they don't generally compete against others but prefer to augment others ranges. That said with the increasingly vocal demand for scale looking track they would be foolish to ignore it and lose business long term so probably as moulds come up for renewal is the logical time to jump in when it minimises the overall investment. I'm a little surprised they don't initially offer at least a med or large rad point alongside it but this may be to gauge the reaction and jump up the queue. I've built with SMP and C&L and they look great but are delicate in comparison and the thin sleepers mean sparse ballast is time consuming packing up every sleeper!

As the others can offer custom built points from their components I doubt Peco will hit them hard on the points but the flex track is very welcome as it is increasingly difficult to get the others in small amounts.

One of the reasons I support my three local model shops is so I can just pop down and get small bits as I need them. I only popped in yesterday for a decoder and it was cheaper than one by mail order ;)

• Like 1