Peco Turntable Motor

sp1

Yes, looks interesting with, if I read it correctly, 8 exit positions.  It could be very useful under some of the nicer etched tables, London Road for instance, or even with the venerable Airfix/Dapol offering. 

Yes, looks interesting with, if I read it correctly, 8 exit positions. It could be very useful under some of the nicer etched tables, London Road for instance, or even with the venerable Airfix/Dapol offering.

Not only that, but they mention retooling their own turntable slightly so that this is a clip fit - I know that the purists might want a different turntable, but at least Pecos is based on a British prototype, unlike, say Fleishmann - I think Pecos is based on an SR one?? - but, a simple to fit together indexed turntable: no contest, I'm having one!

Hopefully there will be some way of securing to an existing turntable, maybe by drilling holes and bolting. That would enable it to compete with the existing motorising kits. I use the ancient motor and transparent plastic gear box advertised for decades in RM - very noisy and reliant on sight for alignment. I'm wondering if the 8 exit positions are fixed or adjustable, and is this in addition to a complete (reverse) turn? Otherwise just 4 positions might count as 8 exits! 

• Like 1

A simple non motored alternative might have been nice, and probably cheaper. The assumption that everything has to be electrically driven is short sighted, unless you are targeting mainly DCC supporters.

On a similar idea, how about re-introducing the r2p signals that Ration did for a while. The simple mechanism did not suffer from motor burn out. They also needed less depth under board than the Dapol ones.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully, this might lead on to an expanded range of turntable kits. e.g. a 60' version which would look more at home on a small/medium sized layout.

Then I can stop hunting for one of the smaller (70' in HO) Heljan ones........

John

• Agree 1

I welcome this announcement. I am toying with the idea of a turntable on my next layout. If Peco do a british-outline one that is easily motorised, that could just swing it for me.

I know there are after-market solutions for the existing Peco TT but an all-in-one solution would be welcome.

• 1 year later...

I welcome this announcement. I am toying with the idea of a turntable on my next layout. If Peco do a british-outline one that is easily motorised, that could just swing it for me.

I know there are after-market solutions for the existing Peco TT but an all-in-one solution would be welcome.

Has there been any update on when this motor will be released? I purchased the peco turntable for my new build layout hoping it would be available fairly shortly

• 7 months later...

Hopefully, this might lead on to an expanded range of turntable kits. e.g. a 60' version which would look more at home on a small/medium sized layout.

Then I can stop hunting for one of the smaller (70' in HO) Heljan ones........

John

Alternatively you might wish to consider the following:

http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/ho-65ft-turntable/

Regards.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did this item ever see the light of day?  it is variously listed as "TBA" and "discontinued" on various websites?

regards

I have one and it is a very nice kit, as far as I am aware, still available.  Information about motors, noise and fitting them, is discussed here  https://www.dccconceptsforum.com/post/mister-rustys-workbench-dcc-peco-turntable-control-9914890?&trail=30 

These are not the only options, of course, but if you turn the sound on with the video comparisons of the motors, you can get a good idea of what might suit you.

One of the important topics mentioned is the turntable sagging with locos placed on the turntable.  I found a small amount of flash along the floor joins [it needed a magnifying glass to spot it] which left the walls and the top lip with 3 small gaps.  The gaps prevent the continuity of the circle formed by the wall and top lip, removing the structural integrity and strength of the intended circle.  Any appreciable weight on the Turntable would allow these gaps to close together, which, in turn allows the walls to partially collapsed inwards, hence the floor of the turntable sagging.  With the flash removed, the sides fit together and form a strong structure, which will take the weight of a loco with ease.

Hope this is of assistance.

Julian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My dad spoke to Peco at Model Rail Scotland last weekend, he got the impression that it'll be released fairly soon. Seems they had some trouble developing the control to stop it in the right place, but that they may have removed that feature from the final product. (It was originally meant to have several preset stopping points.)

Mark

• Like 1

As a sort of aside, I do rather wonder about the desire for Indexed control for a turntable.  We do all sorts of things to make our train sets look, sound and operate like the full size versions {apparently made as prototypes for our 1:76 inadequates}.  Where turntables are modelled, there seems to be a wish to control them with a system which wasn't anywhere like typical of the full size ones.  Turntables were variously powered by human muscle, Loco vacuum, Loco steam, external electric / IC {?} motor etc.  The decision about where the turntable stopped was, in all these cases, a decision made by the operator.

Also, Indexing sets the Bridge rotating at a set speed, until the expected destination, at which point it stops just as abruptly as it started.  That would hardly have been how a large Bridge, containing an even heavier Loco, might have commenced or completed it's traverse.  Indexing seems an expensive way to replicate operations that were not typical of how they were achieved on full size versions.

Regards

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:43, jcredfer said:

Also, Indexing sets the Bridge rotating at a set speed, until the expected destination, at which point it stops just as abruptly as it started.  That would hardly have been how a large Bridge, containing an even heavier Loco, might have commenced or completed it's traverse.  Indexing seems an expensive way to replicate operations that were not typical of how they were achieved on full size versions.

A sufficiently clever controller could have realistic-looking acceleration and deceleration, if the developers decided that it was a feature worth incorporating. Any decent motor controller does it anyway, simply because for all but the least demanding applications starting full speed and then stopping abruptly is a good way to destroy the gears!

4 hours ago, RLBH said:

A sufficiently clever controller could have realistic-looking acceleration and deceleration, if the developers decided that it was a feature worth incorporating. Any decent motor controller does it anyway, simply because for all but the least demanding applications starting full speed and then stopping abruptly is a good way to destroy the gears!

Indeed so, I'm well aware of means to introduce acceleration and deceleration, after a single accessory selection and have a full set of DCC Concepts details on how, thanks to Richard.

However, the bridge will still go at a set speed, regardless of load.  All of which has nothing to do with the point that Indexing was not like the methods the full size turntables used.

On 25/02/2019 at 20:43, jcredfer said:

We do all sorts of things to make our train sets look, sound and operate like the full size versions

Just to be clear, Indexing doesn't replicate how the full size ones were and still are operated, but if you want to spend time and money Indexing, rule No. 1 applies, enjoy.

Regards

Julian

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's here! Long awaited, the Peco turntable motor has now been released to the public and will be arriving on the shop shelves very soon!

Here's all of the info and some pictures. Plenty of shops are already taking advance orders for this item. :)

From Peco themselves:

"At last, we are very happy to be able to offer a complementary motor for our popular turntable kits. Although these were never designed to be motorised it was clear for a long time that modellers have been looking for ways to be able to avoid the use of their hands to turn the deck on their layouts!  Now we can offer our very smooth, silent motor, an easy-to-use and simple arrangement that will be perfect for most situations. This new motor is suitable for all PECO turntables, so that includes the N, OO/HO, O-16.5 (On30), SM-32 and the HOm scale versions.

f232b52b-ff77-4750-92a0-2777e3034096.jpg.cb3d8776754be6eccb80eb0ef058e362.jpg91941a8d-dec7-4057-b4c8-44cd0e2abda1.jpg.be721279f38dd986f769f0271dcb43dd.jpg

This non-indexing motor (which means that there are no pre-set or programmable settings) means that the modeller can simply line up the deck against the exit or entrance road by eye, and the controls allow for small adjustments should things not align perfectly. This gives the modeller ultimate flexibility and control, and means that existing turntables on layouts can easily accommodate the new motor without any major track re-laying exercise! Power has to be provided from an independent 12vDC 2 amp supply, but other than that everything needed is included. Operating the motor is straightforward: you press and hold either of the clockwise or anti-clockwise buttons to rotate the deck and release the button when you wish to stop. Operation is extremely smooth.

5d1ceb78-6f69-45ec-b10a-1f712396e1db.jpg.077197ea8a8b65ab13b3a08917d4ed10.jpg

Retro-fitting the motor to an existing turntable in-situ is easy. The kit is supplied with three mounting fixtures that, when assembled, are glued to the underside of the turntable deck. There is also a special joining collar that links the motor to the central shaft of the turntable deck. Although this is a tight interference fit it is best that this is also glued into place. Full instructions are included in the kit."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting.  I've got one of these turntables to build and was thinking of making my own mechanism for it using Meccano.  But I was under the impression that the new Peco motor was going to incorporate[orate indexing (and it seems earlier posters in this thread thought that too), but this doesn't appear to be the case now.