• Administrators

Hi all,

Here’s a run-down on what’s inside the March 2016 issue of BRM. This issue is available to download as a Digital Edition from 12pm today (January 29th) and will be on-sale in shops from February 4th. As always, every issue comes with a free DVD (streamed for Digital Edition readers) complete with Building Kit download (Parts 1, 2 & 3) in OO, O and N gauges.

We hope you enjoy the magazine.

Steve & the BRM Team

post-14186-0-78966800-1454063244.jpg

FREE 30-minute DVD for every reader

The World’s End – a slice of Yorkshire in OO gauge

Phil Parker on adding interior to your free card kit

Tried & Tested: the Deluxe Materials range of glues

We visit a live model railway auction

FREE CARD KIT DOWNLOADS (Parts 1, 2 & 3) IN OO, N and O gauge

The March 2016 issue is packed with great layouts, modelling ideas and projects to inspire you over the winter months. Here's what you'll find in this 156-page magazine:

THREE great layouts:

Bath (Green Park) (OO gauge, BR S&DJR 1950s)

Burnham-on-Sea (N gauge, LMS 1930s)

Blandford Forum (OO gauge, BR 1948-66)

NEW! BRM Trackplan Archive!

Our new monthly series, offering a range of Trackplans for you to cut-out-and-keep. This month they follow a Somerset & Dorset theme:

Lyncombe Vale (OO)

Florinstone (OO)

Highbury Colliery (2mmFS)

PRACTICAL BRM

Add interior to your free card kit

Make a station canopy

Install accessory decoder adaptors

Decoding DCC – fitting a speaker

Build an LNER 13t ‘High’ kit in 3mm scale

Create a frosty scene

GOODS INWARDS – PRODUCT NEWS/REVIEWS        

Who topped the British Model Railway Awards, the latest product announcements plus reviews of:

Heljan Gresley O2 2-8-0

Poppy’s Woodtech Chassis Jig

Graham Farish BR ‘Pipe’ wagon

Shapeways Class 128 DPU

SLW BR Class 24/0

PLUS

Somerset & Dorset: A journey by layouts

Interview: Jerry Clifford

Service History: LNER O2

Diary Dates

Tail Lamp

Hope you all enjoy it!

Steve

I've just watched the DVD content and Pete Goss' architectural work on World's End is simply stunning. The DVD footage gives a chance to see all manner of detail you may not have taken in when seeing this excellent model at shows.

• RMweb Gold

The kit download page only has parts 1 and 2.

Can you give part 3 a call and get him on there!

No internal walls without him.

Also I can't click on full screen for the DVD, just says full screen not available.

If I click on the You-tube symbol and go to the You-tube page I can open up full screen with no problem.

Could be me, but when reading through the pages, sometimes it will jump loads.

So say I'm reading page 85, I can then go to 86, 87, 88 etc,but then if I go back later, and go to page 85, if I go to the next page it will jump to say page 90 and I can't see the other 5pages.

Might be be something to do with Pipelight as I use Linux Mint, but it could be PocketMags as well.

Cheers

Ian

Erratum

P54 - Jerry Clifford Interview

The opening paragraph states that Jerry has been the Chairman of the 2mm Finescale Association. He never has been and he claims he's not responsible enough to be so. :)

Apologies to all concerned.

• RMweb Gold

Erratum

P54 - Jerry Clifford Interview

The opening paragraph states that Jerry has been the Chairman of the 2mm Finescale Association. He never has been and he claims he's not responsible enough to be so. :)

Apologies to all concerned.

Absolutely correct, I'm hopeless at admin and have never been on any Committee - I'd be a liability and a hopeless Chair! I know my limitations!!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Part 3 of the kit download is now on the link for OO; N and O available from FEB 1st.

It's only a backscene picture and some fencing.

Thanks

On the video's shown so far Phil has built some internal walls, that have some detailing on and doors.

Are these part of the standard kit or from the extra detailing packs that will be available.

If in the standard kit when will we be getting the internal walls?

I did think we would be getting the internal walls at some point, not too sure why though, probably because of seeing them in the video's.

BRM is a good magazine, but I feel this free kit although a great idea and a nice kit, its been very poorly thought out.

I have to compare it with Hornby Magazine as I've bought that magazine with the free kits in it so its an easy direct comparison to make!

They get John Wiffen (Scalescenes) to design a kit for them, they then print it out and include ALL printed sheets in the magazine to cut out, glue to cardboard to build that complete model.

The magazine will include the build instructions that you follow to assemble the model.

Hornby Magazine not so long ago did the boiler house, goods shed, work shop and water tower these were included in 4 issues of Hornby magazine.

post-6745-0-55067400-1454194967_thumb.jpg

Each one of the issues had one of these COMPLETE kits inside printed on to paper, that you could cut out, glue to card and build.

You buy all 4 issues you could build all  4 of the above kits.

The main thing to note here is that one issue had a complete kit, not parts of a complete kit, like this BRM one.

BRM's attempt, not only does it have parts of a complete kit, but the parts included should really have been able to build a complete shell at least, not wait another month for the roof?

This whole series to build one kit in BRM has been quite frankly very poor IMHO, the model is OK (not in the same league as the Scalescenes kits), but the way parts have been included has been a bit of a shocker

Depending on where/when you buy the magazine also effects what you actually get.

Digital editions:- click on the download and print them off.

The parts supplied are in a really strange order with important bits missing until the following month, OK I understand you want us to buy the following month, but to make us wait for the parts to build the roof is just too weird.

Shop Bought:- Some shop bought ones or subscribers issues have the download link, some you buy have printed card that you cut out to build the kit.

As above with the very odd way the different parts have been included.

On balance if I see I Hornby Magazine with a free kit they will get my money, sorry but at least I know it will be a full complete kit with all the pages printed out inside or with the digital edition a download link.!

This could have been so very good but has sadly been massively let down with trying to split it up and string it out over so many issues.

I'm quite sure there are many reasons and costs and judgements to be made to try and incorporate a kit in a magazine, which we are all unaware of.

The problem is when Hornby Magazine has already done this and very well to, you will be judged against them.

Hopefully you will see this as constructive criticism and as it's your first can learn from it and do it better next time.

Sorry.

Ian

have to say that this months tail lamp feature comes across as a tad aggressive. although I agree largely with what's being said, I feel as if what for many will be a sensitive issue has been written about quite unsympathetically and could easily alienate both your readership and forum users.

• Administrators

On the video's shown so far Phil has built some internal walls, that have some detailing on and doors.

Are these part of the standard kit or from the extra detailing packs that will be available.

I did think we would be getting the internal walls at some point, not too sure why though, probably because of seeing them in the video's.

The internal walls are part of the kit. As mentioned on the DVD, I have been working with a pre-production kit as the filming has to take place months ahead of the publication date.

We tried to make the content useful to people who aren't making up the kit but are just generally interested in model buildings. No one wants to watch me saying "Stick part A to part B. Now stick B to C. Next stick C to D. Now D to E etc..." so I tried to add few more ideas to make the videos interesting.

Oh dear - preview for the next issue-

"HAWTHORNE DENE"

Please repeat the following sentence aloud several hundred times

Hawthorn Dene has NO E in Hawthorn. 

I hope it will be right in the magazine itself (And the Doncaster show guide).

Could have been worse, You could have spelled it HORNSBY......

Les

Oh dear - preview for the next issue-

"HAWTHORNE DENE"

Please repeat the following sentence aloud several hundred times

Hawthorn Dene has NO E in Hawthorn. 

I hope it will be right in the magazine itself (And the Doncaster show guide).

Could have been worse, You could have spelled it HORNSBY......

Les

Apologies Les,

That's my fault and it should have been spotted at the proof reading stage. However, I can assure you that it's 100% right on the feature itself, which is being designed at the moment.

Regards

Ben

Part three of the kit for N and O gauge was supposed to be available according to the webpage from Feb 1st but still hasn't appeared yet.  OO is there though.

Hello,

I've just checked on Model Railway Scenery's BRM page and all three parts published so far are there in all three scales, so worth looking again. 

Ben

• RMweb Gold

Apologies Les,

That's my fault and it should have been spotted at the proof reading stage. However, I can assure you that it's 100% right on the feature itself, which is being designed at the moment.

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben, as you are in confessional mode, who was it that promoted me to 'former Chairman of the 2mm Association' - I've been getting lots of stick from fellow 2mm members! :no:  :scratchhead:

Jerry

Apologies Les,

Regards

Ben

Many thanks for that.  Hope you've got to the end of the chanting.....

Personally I think the misspelling (which Nottingham and Lincoln shows have both also managed) is down to a certain deceased Fomula 1 racing driver with ancestors who couldn't spell.

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I've just checked on Model Railway Scenery's BRM page and all three parts published so far are there in all three scales, so worth looking again. 

Ben

Thanks!

The link is there now but the N Gauge link loads the OO gauge version.

• Administrators

I've talked to the designer and the internal walls are now available from the download link in all three scales.

The design has been changed to make them more flexible than the version I had - the walls are now plain strips with doors and fireplaces seperate. That allows you to put them where you want. You could also use the parts to fit out the interior of other buildings as they are nicely generic.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely correct, I'm hopeless at admin and have never been on any Committee - I'd be a liability and a hopeless Chair! I know my limitations!!

Jerry

I would have thought you could make quite nice chairs Jerry :-)

Don

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoying this one. Themed issues can be hit or miss but I do like the S&D . Green Park is , of course,stunning , as are the other layouts, but I did like the Model Journey feature incorporating maps of the locations. Still working my way through it and haven't got to the DVD yet.

Not sure I agree with Tail Lamp though. To me models need to be designed to run on rails that are other than perfectly flat. There needs to be a reasonable tolerance built in .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived