LokSound in Roco DB class 185 electric

dave ottney

I'm hoping this is the correct place to ask this question.  I have a Roco DB class 185 electric locomotive with a Digitrax non sound decoder in it right now (8 pin connection).  I'm considering putting a sound decoder, ESU Loksound v4.0 micro, into it but I can figure out where to put the speaker.  Right now the Digitrax decoder is in the fuel tank on the bottom of the loco with wires running up a channel in the frame (already there by the manufacturer) to plug into the board on the top of the frame.  It was really an easy job installing it.

My problem is I can't quite puzzle out where I should put a speaker.  If I put it in the fuel tank then I have to figure out where to put the decoder.  There very little room on the top of frame and the driver's cabs at each end seem to preclude placing a speaker at the ends.

I'm going to a major train show (exhibition) tomorrow here in the US (http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/) where there will be many vendors from whom I can purchase a decoder and a variety of speakers.  But being that its a Roco locomotive and a German prototype there's little chance that any of the vendors will be familiar with it. 

If anyone has done this or has a suggestion for the placement of the decoder and its speaker I appreciate the advice.  By the way if you are are ever in the States and have a chance to go to this show I'd highly recommend it as its huge (4 buildings). 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Dave

Sorry I'm not familiar with the E-Lok but if there is a sound equipped model available and have you looked at the Roco service sheet as a crib maybe ?

It turns out the speaker & it's baffle fit into the box on the bottom of the loco. I mistakenly called it a fuel tank, Duh it's an electric loco! Whatever it is the speaker fits. The Loksound Micro sits on top of the frame just aft of the gear tower. I did buy a mini sugar cube speaker & baffle but I didn't have to use it. I'm sure I'll find a place for it or I'll sell it.

Hope this helps anyone looking to put sound into this or other locos.

Dave

Archived