PECO announces OHLE

MikeTrice

I think part of the problem has been how big the market would be. I suggested to one rep from another company that they should introduce their range of Spanish gear into UK, but was told too many would complain it did not look right, when in fact most people would be happy to have something rather than nothing. I think they might have actually done what I suggested(but not as a result of me saying it though), and now Peco have found there is even more interest in a UK type product.

Given the resurgence of electric tramways in UK, there is a need for more models suitable for UK modellers. Most available are HO scale.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

At long last, Peco has revealed its long promised ready to run catenary system.  From the photos in February’s Railway Modeller it is what 95% of 4mm modellers have been waiting for.  So all you armchair modellers, rivet counters (or should it be ‘insulator counters’), prototypical modellers & regular critics of what the major manufacturers produce please do not criticise Peco for their effort in producing catenary which the average modeller will welcome with open arms.  Is this the turning point in encouraging Bachmann (Fantastic Class 85; looking forward to the Class 91!) & Hornby to produce more AC locos, eg a decent modern Class 86, 87 or APT-P?

I have had OHLE on my 00 gauge layout ‘Crewlisle’ for 30 years & it is always a point of interest & questions at exhibitions.  I used JV single masts (still available) as they looked like BR single masts, modified their continental portal frames  to look like early WCML masts but scratchbuilt the actual catenary wire as it is unique to each layout as it depends on the radius of the curves & points.  The loco pantograph is always in contact with the contact wire.  It is all portable & is tested to a scale speed of 100 mph.   I have seen a number of layouts at exhibitions with super detailed scale catenary but only dare run their locos at just over shunting speed!  Why have an APT & not run it at its scale speed?

Looking at the Peco offering, it is sturdy enough for the pantograph to be in contact with the wire, the catenary wire appears to be a good compromise between prototypical & practical size in 4mm scale & (if required) appears to be quite easy to make both the masts & catenary wire portable like mine.  Making it portable makes it easy for track cleaning/repairs, fitting across baseboard joints & entrances to tunnels.  

However,  do not think it will be cheap!  The masts are nickel silver/steel & I believe it is made by Sommerfeldt.  However, if I was starting again I would bite the bullet & pay the price for a ready-made quality product designed for the British market.  Modellers have waited a long time for this so don’t moan at the price or what Peco have not provided!

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

https://www.facebook.com/Britishrailwaymodellingmagazine/photos/ms.c.eJxFz9kRxDAIBcGMtriP~;BNbYWy93y4GJGYW7fCubNXsHy8ECUskC8AtiMwv8E4wYCfsASNKmwnpArh5hzLgnJUOJL5JAjahFzRq4DwVMDsiMdGzg0gBmwTgSaJf8Jy~;eBEDJmE1wCQWeUE2IcAm39mi~_b57FOBMVN8rB2ap3CtFvkkCNqE~;ZYdUtA~-~-.bps.a.1112394162126956.1073741851.185729314793450/1112396602126712/?type=3&theater

is the link that will take you to the picture on the BRM facebook page rather than just the page itself.

Personal thoughts:

I've never seen a UK concrete mast base with that weird double layer thing going on.

There is, as ThaneOfFife says, too much H section above the top tube.

Where is the insulator for the return conductor that should be on the back of the mast?

Worst of all though is, as Clive says, that catenary wire going over the top tube instead of under it.

I'm guessing the big solder blob holding the registration arm in place is an emergency repair? I certainly hope so!

Andi

• 1 month later...

I actually did, and have been running pan up for some years now.

Me also.  I used JV catenary, originally advertised as Hadley JV, in the 1980s.  My catenary has been in use for over 30 years, JV masts & JV modified continental style portal frames.  Looks & works OK with many good comments at exhibitions.  See my Comment No. 9. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps there is so much variation within catenary designs that the only sensible way is 3D print. Would any of the materials regularly used by the likes of Shapeways be robust enough?

The only sensible way is to scratch build in brass, it's the only way to get a system that looks right and is strong enough to withstand tensioning the wires.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

£69 for the starter kit :swoon:

I like idea of a jig for planting the mast, just a bit confused as each mast is made for the location it is to planted in and is a one off.

I was contacted by Peco asking if the website I had on OLE was still active. They were going to use it as a reference for those modelling OLE. They are not going to give the URL's to my waffle on RMweb despite it being the same.