PECO announces OHLE

MikeTrice

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Johnson Street IEMD said:

okay and which insulators have you been using ? @97406

I have some from nBrass and some laser printed ones, but they just arent compatible size wise. 

I gather there are different size ones that nBrass do, and Sommerfeldt do some as well ...

These https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275323297928?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338723872&toolid=20006&customid=x5BF4E0WAAAA7eu74VXLXOo2uakjAAAAAA

I had to drill them out to 0.7mm or slightly over to get them to fit. 0.6mm wire for the droppers is closer but mine needed to match the original section of layout’s droppers (0.9mm) a little more.

It’s been a learning curve.

Edited by 97406
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The Crewe to Glasgow stretch was started in '74. I remember it running alongside the M6 north of Preston on trips to the Lakes when I was a kid, plus the added attraction of the Dalek Tower at Forton Services away from the railway.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2023 at 19:32, rob D2 said:

Yes and it’s not like there’s nothing  decent to run under it now either 

Yes, of course, there's never been more electric traction of a premium form, 85, 86, 87, 90, 91, 92, 350, 390 and this will likely increase with the 88, 93, 99, 88, the Drift EMUs and others

Edited by Johnson Street IEMD

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2023 at 19:33, 97406 said:

The Crewe to Glasgow stretch was started in '74. I remember it running alongside the M6 north of Preston on trips to the Lakes when I was a kid, plus the added attraction of the Dalek Tower at Forton Services away from the railway.

My only sighting of 89001 was alongside the M6 up there.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

didnt get to warley this year.   did they announce anything new on this front or any updates?  just seems to have died a death yet weve got so many leccies available now for the british modeller.....

ill wizz over to the Dapol section too see if theyve got any news on their catenary.     

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

didnt get to warley this year.   did they announce anything new on this front or any updates?  just seems to have died a death yet weve got so many leccies available now for the british modeller.....

ill wizz over to the Dapol section too see if theyve got any news on their catenary.     

Still WIP, no date for releases given.

• 3 months later...

only replying here as I couldnt find a west hill wagon works section but its OHLE....

apparently they are now producing OHLE kits which is news to me.  first heard about this last night on a Dean Park you tube video.......doesnt anybody know what has been announced as all I can see is the double track single mast stanchions.  they look great but hoping for other types.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

only replying here as I couldnt find a west hill wagon works section but its OHLE....

apparently they are now producing OHLE kits which is news to me.  first heard about this last night on a Dean Park you tube video.......doesnt anybody know what has been announced as all I can see is the double track single mast stanchions.  they look great but hoping for other types.

When I heard of this it was that they were going to be producing the heavy type stuff used on the GW main line. 

Andi

5 hours ago, Dagworth said:

When I heard of this it was that they were going to be producing the heavy type stuff used on the GW main line. 

Andi

Hi Andi,

Yes, they are doing the double track single mast gantries and they appear to be doing them in the GWML style but also possibly may be adaptable to the similar ones seen on the WCML as one of the pictures i have seen has vertical boom at the end of the horizontal, its hard exactly to describe, but i plan to adapt these, as soon as i get my hands on them ...

Kat :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Johnson Street IEMD said:

Hi Andi,

Yes, they are doing the double track single mast gantries and they appear to be doing them in the GWML style but also possibly may be adaptable to the similar ones seen on the WCML as one of the pictures i have seen has vertical boom at the end of the horizontal, its hard exactly to describe, but i plan to adapt these, as soon as i get my hands on them ...

Kat :-)

I'm glad that Ipswich is all Mark3 and headspans so reasonably easy to scratchbuild. Ravensclyffe is Mk1 and portals, fortunately I've got just about everything I need for that layout with the winding down of N-brass making the etched portals no longer available. Hopefully someone will bring out a new range of Mk1 to take over from Nick's work, I am not convinced that laser cut or 3d printed will be strong enough for tensioned wire systems. I have no use for the new GWML type equipment but it's good that it may be becoming available to make modelling OLE of different styles possible, I wouldn't want to try to scratch build the GWML stuff!

As for the Peco portals, will we ever see them?

Andi

• Like 1

Like you say, the key thing is the variety of structures, it isnt all the same, no matter which network we are talking of, yes, some are more consistent in appearance, but even those like the ECML there's variation, these new gantries - hopefully give us hope, and more importantly, the cantilevers need to be PECO compliant I would say

In the video Dave says they are doing a full range of masts seen on the network, the MK3 mast that he showed had 2 types of registration arms, one looks like the new style GWML registration arm and the other looks like the type fitted to masts when the WCML was upgraded in the 2000's.

Hopefully they are doing some headspans as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to one of their chaps a few weeks back and they will be doing "everything" "eventually" - believe it starts to become available from around July time, the demonstration sample they had looked superb and the magnetic bases with no baseboard penetration was good too. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/03/2024 at 13:35, ThaneofFife said:

There’s a West Hill wagon works section in smaller suppliers - 

• Like 2