New Flying Scotsman pack

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Well mine arrived and I couldn't be more disappointed. There are marks all over the gloss like something has stuck to it while it was drying, missing the smokebox dart, and white blemishes on the corridor connection on the tender. Within 12 hours of me posting this on their Facebook page, Locomotion have sent me a return postage slip to NZ, and are organising a replacement for me. Fantastic service as always from Sandra and the team. Hornby have really slipped up with this one. The KGV I have is fantastic.

Mine has arrived too and she is a lovely model. 

There are a couple of little problems:

one is there is a mark on top of the boiler,

the second is the back of the tender where the corridor window is you can see it while looking from the front of the engine whereas R3336 didn't have this problem.

But the biggest problem though is the packaging the loco is in got to be very careful in bringing it out in doing so i manage to knock off one of the cab doors. Can someone tell me what to use to fix the door back?.

But other than that i am very happy with the set. 

Thanks,

Samuel.

• RMweb Premium

Mine has arrived too and she is a lovely model.

There are a couple of little problems:

one is there is a mark on top of the boiler,

the second is the back of the tender where the corridor window is you can see it while looking from the front of the engine whereas R3336 didn't have this problem.

But the biggest problem though is the packaging the loco is in got to be very careful in bringing it out in doing so i manage to knock off one of the cab doors. Can someone tell me what to use to fix the door back?.

But other than that i am very happy with the set.

Thanks,

Samuel.

I would use the tiniest dot of Superglue to refix the door. I cut the packaging at the front where that wee bulge goes between the deflectors. Now I can lift it straight out of the packaging without having to manipulate it backwards and tilt at the same time. Much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone else feel that the tender is sitting far too high? The footplating beneath the cab and the tender looks in all photos like it should be level. There is most definitely a few mm difference in the model to a very noticeable degree. Would fitting smaller wheels fix the issue?

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as I had a week booked off work I decided to just 'quickly' pop up to Shildon. Should be a simple 2.5hour journey, took nearly 6 hours but hey ho, I came away with a FS Pack!

Sandra opened the box up for us whilst I was there to check that the bits that are likely to break, aren't broken. First pack was absolutely fine in this respect, so I paid my monies and went to a local pub upon her reccomendation; blimey if you want decent food go up; they know how to serve meals up Shildon way!!

Back on topic, agree with others on the thread that the packaging should win an award for being the worst ever, i've ended up doing as others have suggested and cut the block out to aid removal of the loco in future. For putting the loco back in it's box, I decided to use the tissue that was wrapped in the MK1 to stop my greasy paws marking the loco; certainly helped!

The only issue with mine, is on the front of the boiler where 60103 is, they have stamped this wonky. Ok, this is very small and probably only noticible if you're studying the loco when stationary. I've not had chance to mechanically test the model. I know it is DCC Ready, is this 8 or 21pin? The manual states both are available?

Overall i'm very happy with the model, just the packaging is a huge let down & I hope that if they make another model where 2 vehicles are in the same pack; that they box them individually with a sleeve to avoid damaging, even if it meant rounding the price of this model up slightly, for such a prestige client such as Locomotion I feel they could have done a lot better than the trainset type tray that they used.

Other than the full DCC sound locos, I don't think Hornby use 21 PIN do they? They seem to have their own system of things ie:- the select and also 4 pin decoders. 

I don't get why they used that packaging. They have ice block packaging for the FS and the MK1s. Just needed an outer sleeve. Surely that would have been cheaper than having to develop, design and produced that specific tray? 

Archived