New Flying Scotsman pack

Hilux5972

unnamed (3).jpg

Thanks to Brian Greenwood for sending over the pic here of the Flying Scotsman launched yesterday for the start of the "Shildon Shed Bash” and the presentation to David Horne, MD of VTEC last night at the opening event. He got 103/500 for FS and 238/500 for NRM40. The cognoscenti will understand why!! VTEC are of course headline sponsors for the Flying Scotsman season.

unnamed (4).jpg

Certainly different to the standard Hornby BR green! May take some more pictures this weekend if I get time.

The ones that are left are on sale at the event although it is already well pre-sold so not sure how long they will last! Also on sale on the website. Don’t delay is the advice!

Hi all

As with the NRM40 we managed to get loads of the Flying Scotsman wrapped and collected yesterday. Will be delivered at some point today. It is super brilliant! The gloss finish looks fantastic on the loco (the support coach has a matt finish) more wrapping to do today and tomorrow I think.

If you haven't made your mind up yet - just go for it! You are going to love this one!

Oh, take care when removing from the packaging. The smoke deflector is tucked in behind the moulded packaging. Don't be pinging one off or I'll know about it!

Enjoy!!

Cheers

Sandra

The man from UPS has just delivered mine.

As I'm meant to be working today, I've opened the box, but not extracted the loco yet, that will have to wait until later. It does look very good though...

It comes with a little certificate (351 of 500) but there is no signature by Simon Kohler, that's just blank.

Hilux5972 - the packaging is polystyrene.

Hi all

As with the NRM40 we managed to get loads of the Flying Scotsman wrapped and collected yesterday. Will be delivered at some point today. It is super brilliant! The gloss finish looks fantastic on the loco (the support coach has a matt finish) more wrapping to do today and tomorrow I think.

If you haven't made your mind up yet - just go for it! You are going to love this one!

Oh, take care when removing from the packaging. The smoke deflector is tucked in behind the moulded packaging. Don't be pinging one off or I'll know about it!

Enjoy!!

Cheers

Sandra

Hopefully there will be some left by the 15th for me to order one for myself.

Watched a Youtube video of it and it does look very nice. Not a fan of glossy locos though to be honest. The packaging desperately needs an update (the have the block of ice for the Scotsman and the MK1 so I don't see why a new tray was designed. There is a bit of polystyrene that is part of the tray that is between the smoke deflectors so be careful when extracting the loco from it's packaging. 

Afternoon all,

I've just received mine through the post at 2pm today. The packaging was... interesting. I've cut the little block out that would cause an issue with the deflectors so that I can use the box for transport. The detailing, especially the paint on the coach is just exquisite and the gloss finish on the loco is perfect; no hairs, no blemises, no loss of detail on the printing. No mechanical faults out of the box either, which is a good standard that Hornby seem to have picked up on since the Star / Duke fiasco. I'm very happy with this model bar one thing. It would appear that my 60103 decided to have a particularly rough night out in Durham before it made it's way here as the smoke deflectors are on the p*ss  :blackeye:  :drinks: Both of them pointed about 6* to starboard. Comparing this to my 60043, those are dead straight and level. Hornby continues with this weird tradition of getting things wrong that they previously have got right before. The deflectors have already been chopped off and the port one is currently setting in the correct position. A further knock on my confidence with Hornby QC, diminishing the fact that the recent S15 and Q6 have been absoloutely perfect. Sorry to go slightly  :offtopic: as it is indeed a brilliant model and a commendable one at that in Locomotion's long list of model successes, it just so happened that I got a model which, although being built and painted on a Thursday, had it's defectors fitted at 3pm on a Friday. I'll post a few pics of it on the layout later for those who are interested

Cheers,

As promised, photos of 60103;

My camera is currently out of action, so i'm afraid it's low light phone shots, but it's enough to give people a general idea of the pack. Please bear in mind that I have painted the tyres, bearings, motion bracket and reversing rod, and I have also modified the cylinder cock pipes to prototypical length. Everything else is as standard. 

As mentioned earlier on opening the box, the smoke deflectors had been on a night out in Durham  :drinks: This was quickly resolved with the help of a sharp knife and a bit of superglue. I then painted the reversing rod, wheel tyres, rod bearings and the motion bracket. The right hand motion bracket was a little bit bent but was easily pushed back into place with the body removed. The steps come fitted as standard which is a nice touch. The gloss finish, as previously mentioned is exquisite;

post-16674-0-84319800-1470343110_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-87601200-1470343112_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-23634500-1470343115_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-27116600-1470343117_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-44696200-1470343119_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-21485000-1470343124_thumb.jpg

post-16674-0-56142300-1470343126_thumb.jpg

All hunky dory? Well, not quite. Whilst lining up from the smokebox to take a photo, I noticed that something was off. The boiler didn't look right, it didn't line up properly. As the next photo will illustrate, the dome was twisted and way off centre; 

post-16674-0-61102400-1470343121_thumb.jpg

I didn't know what to do, because my modelling experience told me 'you've never seen anyone manage to remove a dome cleanly'. It also told me that if I took my time, was gentle, used the right tools and persevered that I'd get the job done

post-16674-0-71553400-1470343386_thumb.jpg   :bad:

post-16674-0-19362100-1470343389_thumb.jpg

Et voila, a straight dome and, for the first time since I took it out of the box, everything actually lines up. In all honesty though, despite my problems this is very likely a one off. All of the other photos of these that I have seen have been right from the get-go and the problems are nothing that a competent modeller can't fix if they are careful. I'm looking forward to running this around the new layout when that gets built and I'm very much looking forward to what Locomotion models empty my bank account with next  :lol:

Cheers,

Hi Bon Accord,

It lifts up the tiniest of amounts, but you can only see that if your looking for it. If you compare it with the skateboarding half pipe that we got with the Star, it's absolutely nothing at all (the footplate didn't even touch the chassis block on mine) Certainly, even compared to the recent B1's it's fine.

60103 had it's test runs last night and is bedding in niceley, I'll be able to get photos in decent light on the layout this afternoon

Cheers,

I only just recently bought the Apple Green NRM Scotsman. After seeing this on the You tube video mentioned above and the photos. I really wish I'd hung back and got this one :(

I'm sure I'll get over it - I'll have to because I can't really Justify another.

Heres the link to the You Tube review that Britfarmer mentioned if anyone's interested. If You've ordered one, take special attention at about the 3.45 mark before you try and get yours out the box. Might save you a few tears :cry:

https://youtu.be/PGXStPm0HhE

Archived