Modellers from Kent, Sussex, Surrey and South of the Thames

So where do we go from here?

Hi all

Following this discussion, where I questioned whether there was any life left in the modular system, the general opinion seemed to be that, apart from those few us (and temporary guests) down in the SECAG area that had successfully met, the idea generated little interest in the rest of the country and the idea was more or less dead in the water.

deadparrot1308_468x333.jpg

So, that leaves me pondering what we, as a group, do going forward - if anything.

I can think of four possible options.

1. We slog on with the modular stuff, having an occasional meetup.
  2. We attempt an annual "members day" like those in the South West Area Group do - which may involve a modular layout, bringing our own layouts, a combination of both, followed by a social event (a curry or something similar).
  3. We just meet up occasionally at organised events, galas and shows that we post about.
  4. We give up.

There may be more options but those are the obvious ones at present.

As I've said right from the start, this isn't my group, I'm just the one that organised the first modular meeting - but in the absence of any volunteers I have kinda taken on ownership of the group.  But I'm very, very happy for others to organise things under the SECAG banner.

At present there are questions over the future of the venue that we used last time so I'm not in a position to consider arranging anything for 2016 there at the moment, although I know there are many other venues of a similar size and cost in the general area, as well as many others that you'll all know in other places, if we thought a meet-up of some kind was viable..

So, over to you all - what are your thoughts?

What with work and other non-work based activities taking my time up I'd overlooked SECAG but I'd hate to see it killed off much like the Norwegian Blue sen above.

With permission from the Guvnor I could do another Pendeford yard open day, which has greatly improved in looks and reliability since the last meet up 2 years ago.

Simon

If my work schedule permits it I'd be more than happy to take a trip down - presume OO, do you run DCC?  I have a few things that although possibly off-region could do with a nice run...

Yep it's certainly OO and runs DCC, what I will do is make an approach to the Guvnor and sound out when we could have a meet up. It would be nice to meet some faces from RMweb and exchange ideas. I seem to remember you know work for GTR like myself so I'll try and pick some dates that coincide with your Rest days.

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any of the active ideas seems good. Seems a waste to give up!

Although I must admit not being very clever at the active bit as I have been hard at work locally with Henley. I also can't remember the last time I went to an exhibition....

But definitely don't disband.

Archived