Over the weekend I managed to finish the next two cottages on Bailey Street, though I have not yet modelled the shop interior; I still have not decided what it is that Mr Ahern purveys.  I need to make window displays, and fill the shop's de-mountable interior module.

The group is designed to be view obliquely, as the scale at the left hand of the street frontage is around HO whereas the right-hand end of the shop is up to about 94% of 4mm scale. Building a shop front going up-hill and in slight perspective was not at all easy, I found!  Hopefully it will all work when it's in situ.

post-25673-0-18936500-1455007429_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-90109200-1455007250_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-55892200-1455007187_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-46259900-1455007208.jpg

post-25673-0-55892200-1455007187_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-46259900-1455007208.jpg

post-25673-0-90109200-1455007250_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-18936500-1455007429_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 13

I forgot to include a shot of the buildings these were inspired by, in this case in Burnham Market.  This is very much an adaptation to suit the scene I am working on, not a straight copy.  When I saw the white-painted flint building (a holiday let called Ulph Cottage, I believe) I thought it would suit the site perfectly.  I thought it would work best as a shop, indeed, the ground floor looks as if it could have had a shop front at some stage.  I was going to position another flint and brick cottage to the right, but now I am thinking I might try yellow brick, as this will introduce another colour and texture to the scene.

post-25673-0-94329900-1455014603.jpg

post-25673-0-94329900-1455014603.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

How about an Edwardian poultry shop? I'd love to see that modelled.

Great photo.

Thanks, Dave.  Well, I'm game, but my efforts are more likely to result in a paltry shop.

Langley do a detailing kit.  (Although you'd need more than one to match Dave's photo!)

See: http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO_Scale_Accessories_F1_to_F76_inc_Canal_Boats_etc_10.html

- ref. 75c towards the bottom of the page

• Like 1

That was, indeed, an epic photograph, Dave of Heeley Bridge, and a great suggestion.  While Castle Aching demands more modest premises, a poulterers or game merchant would be thus festooned.

Rob Teaky, thanks for that link.  I note that the Langley item description claims that this is a fishmonger's (!), but they look like birds to me!  I know that some, at least, of Langley's figures are not of the best, and I realise that cameos are not fashionable in finescale circles, but it would be difficult to resist the female shopper pointing with her parasol!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work. When I started doing my buildings a few years ago I built a house which had five brick quoins. I was quite pleased with the model until the next day when I noticed that all the flint buildings I saw between Holt and Norwich station had three brick ones. I just put it down to experience until I went to Burnham market all of the quoins there were the same as mine. I have no idea why this should be

• Like 1

That was, indeed, an epic photograph, Dave of Heeley Bridge, and a great suggestion.  While Castle Aching demands more modest premises, a poulterers or game merchant would be thus festooned.

Rob Teaky, thanks for that link.  I note that the Langley item description claims that this is a fishmonger's (!), but they look like birds to me!  I know that some, at least, of Langley's figures are not of the best, and I realise that cameos are not fashionable in finescale circles, but it would be difficult to resist the female shopper pointing with her parasol!

The description states that it comes with poultry and fish, personally I think a general store may be better if it to be a one off shop? or are you adding more to the row? 

In France and Ireland, I've been into some good "combination shops": bicycle repairs and components and bar (Ireland), tractor and agricultural implements dealership and bar/tabac (France), bakery, cheese monger's, and ironing and clothes alterations (France), outdoor clothing, work boots, and a huge array of sentimental religious pictures and lighting-up statues of the Virgin (Ireland) etc.

My Grandmother used to talk about "tin tack and elephant shops", which (unless there was a steady demand for pachyderms in deepest Hampshire) must have been the same sort of thing.

K

PS: stunningly good model making!

• Like 3

My Grandmother used to talk about "tin tack and elephant shops", which (unless there was a steady demand for pachyderms in deepest Hampshire) must have been the same sort of thing.

Up here they are called 'Jenny a' things'.

Jim

Simon, thank you.  Playing with bits of card and paper is not, I fear, in the same league as point construction, etched brass kit construction, or, airbrushing and bow-pen lining.  I would love to have a go at these things, of course, but aside from the fact that I have no budget for expensive kits and equipment at present, these are, relative to what I can do, hard-won skills requiring an amount of time that I feel I really do not have at present.  After all, I am a beginner, and I would like to think that I could develop as a modeller and acquire new skills.  At the moment I am simply trying to do my inadequate best in the circumstances!  Further, as I have not yet attempted any locomotives or coaching stock, you may wish to reserve judgment on the bashing and bodging appellation!

Britfarmer, thank you - I am in danger of adding too many structures for the space available - the row I am working on will have a Post Office and general store. On the opposite side of the street, where you see the tentatively placed Bilteezi stand-in Tudor building a few posts back, is room for a pair of shops. If Mr Ahern becomes a book seller or photographer, I think have room for a couple of traditional shops such as butcher, poulterer, greengrocer etc.

"In fact, the 10-year date range is 1925-1935. I find this surprising.  The photographer, Leonard Titshall, was not born until the turn of the century and started the photography business with his brother only in 1924.

This collection of photographs is, for me, sound evidence of the longevity of clothing styles among rural folk.  It demonstrated that my sense of period was up to 10 years off, so a valuable education!"

In fact many 'early photos' turn out to be much later than modern eyes suppose them to be, but........... the rural poor, which was what most of these were, bought mostly clothes which were durable, and, in essence, timeless.  I remember high turnback collar waistcoats, and hobnailed undyed leather boots on sale in Hereford in 1985!   Even the vernacular architecture was often up to 35-50 years behind London.  My first house in Hereford, in the small village of Lyonshall, had its origins in 3 cottages built about 1490, rebuilt as a farmhouse in 1561, and then modified in 1891...........

Whilst I have to agree that clothing styles might linger in the backwoods, isn't it also likely that the photographer may have been deliberately selective in the choice of subject matter.  Just like I tended to ignore the more modern stuff when touring south England in the eighties photographing relics of the LBSCR, so might the photographer have been seeking out the quaint and photogenic specimens, and perhaps ignoring the more up to date dressed folk.  The era suggested was just before Roye England was capturing the Vale of the White Horse, and he was unusual in not just concentrating on either the latest or the oldest idioms but the whole range, to get the complete picture.  Most of us are guilty of thinking that the latest things are going to last, and then realising ten years later that much has been and gone without record, witness all those people bemoaning that they didn't take pictures of their favourite modelling period when they had the opportunity.  

• RMweb Premium

No, tempted as I was momentarily, and not even for the sake of honesty or accuracy, am I renaming the layout "Norfolk & Goode"!

A friend of mine served as chaplain on HMS Norfolk. Some of the crew had t-shirts printed that read:

'We don't drink

We don't smoke

Norfolk'