A, probably withdrawn and non-working, 1850s loco stud is a massive distraction that I really don't need!

But it would be great fun!

So far I like the EB Wilsons; not too big or too small and just about the right 'look' for the archetypal 1850s engines, I should have thought:

post-25673-0-96440400-1463727415.gif

post-25673-0-01983300-1463727425.gif

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

To try to bring this thread back on track (!), recent reading of 'The Cambrian Railways a new history' reveals that in the early 1860s there was a switch from 70lb flat bottomed rail to 70lb double headed (not the same as bullhead) but both were in 21 or 24 ft lengths. Sleepers were 9ft by about 10 x 5 inches or thereabouts (one batch half round) at 3ft spacings - all this from the Inspecting Officers' reports which usually included such things.

There was also a.lot in the reports about point indicators, presumably an early form of non-independent ground signal. And for signalling, why not go for what the Festiniog used in its early preservation days - a pivoted board with a red circle on one side and a green one on the other; or like the S&M station signals, again a revolving board which passengers used to show they wanted the train to stop?

But back to suitable locos, I cannot help feeling that 'The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding' should be compulsory reading, though Mike Sharman's book on Crampton locos is as much fun, even if some of them are way over the top.

Jonathan

• Like 1

Beautiful engines; perfect for Nos. 1-4.

For No.0, the former contractor's engine, I nominate the one below, fitted with a saddle-tank and back bunker in the 1850s, then fitted with a rudimentary cab during the 1860s, and finally withdrawn from traffic, "pending completion of an overhaul" in the early 1880s. It is, naturally, still extant in 1905.

K

post-26817-0-94010600-1463730838_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

To try to bring this thread back on track (!), recent reading of 'The Cambrian Railways a new history' reveals that in the early 1860s there was a switch from 70lb flat bottomed rail to 70lb double headed (not the same as bullhead) but both were in 21 or 24 ft lengths. Sleepers were 9ft by about 10 x 5 inches or thereabouts (one batch half round) at 3ft spacings - all this from the Inspecting Officers' reports which usually included such things.

There was also a.lot in the reports about point indicators, presumably an early form of non-independent ground signal. And for signalling, why not go for what the Festiniog used in its early preservation days - a pivoted board with a red circle on one side and a green one on the other; or like the S&M station signals, again a revolving board which passengers used to show they wanted the train to stop?

But back to suitable locos, I cannot help feeling that 'The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding' should be compulsory reading, though Mike Sharman's book on Crampton locos is as much fun, even if some of them are way over the top.

Jonathan

"To try to bring this thread back on track (!)"  Ambitious.

Useful info on the track, thanks.  I like the idea of short pre-Grouping rail-lengths (clickety-clack) and was assuming 30'.  24' sounds better!

Re signals, I had thought of a slot in post starter and something of the disc variety for the level crossing.  Some Victorian ground signals would be great.  See the great little one on the Hunstanton picture.  However, I have no idea how to signal this station as I have not got so far as to begin considering the issue, having only just had a track-plan more or less forced out of me by you lot!  

Boulton's Siding seems a must, but must buy track components rather than new books.

Beautiful engines; perfect for Nos. 1-4.

For No.0, the former contractor's engine, I nominate the one below, fitted with a saddle-tank and back bunker in the 1850s, then fitted with a rudimentary cab during the 1860s, and finally withdrawn from traffic, "pending completion of an overhaul" in the early 1880s. It is, naturally, still extant in 1905.

K

That would be fun. 

If a future extension of the WNR includes a representation of that company's own version of Melton Constable, we can have some fun with first generation locos.

• Like 3

After much clanging and banging in the workshops, accompanied by not a little profane language .......

Note the use of a wide, heavy-section footplate-valance to add much-needed rigidity to the frames.

(Amazing what can be accomplished during a train journey these days!)

K

post-26817-0-45760100-1463740425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

Not quite. To clarify, the history of the locomotive, so far as I can discover, is as follows:

1841 or 1842 Entered traffic with the Eastern & Northern Railway (what is now West Anglia Line).

1844 (Sept or Oct) Converted from 5ft to Standard Gauge.

Here truth ends, and fiction begins:

1853 Sold to the contractor building the WNR, who dispensed with the tender, and fitted an exceedingly basic saddle tank.

1856 Inherited by the WNR, as part of a grand reckoning in which the contractor received shares in part-payment for his work.

1857-8 Rebuilt properly, as 2-2-4ST, by the WNR (the form illustrated), numbered and named.

c1870 heavy overhaul, during which it received an enclosed cab, "new" (actually secondhand) boiler, and various other improvements.

c1882 Set-aside, pending another overhaul, which never actually happened. Initially at least, and with the boiler operating at greatly reduced pressure, it was "up on blocks", being used to drive line-shafting in the workshop.

1912 Transferred to a plinth, under an awning on Castle Aching station.

1924 Transferred to secure storage, and disappeared from the public eye until it was rediscovered in an isolated farm building by the Revs Awdry and Boston during a country walk in 1953.

1957 Cosmetically restored and displayed for the centenary of the WNR, since when it has been kept at Aching Hall c/o National Trust.

All good engines are either green or yellow.

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

Not quite. To clarify, the history of the locomotive, so far as I can discover, is as follows:

1841 or 1842 Entered traffic with the Eastern & Northern Railway (what is now West Anglia Line).

1844 (Sept or Oct) Converted from 5ft to Standard Gauge.

Here truth ends, and fiction begins:

1853 Sold to the contractor building the WNR, who dispensed with the tender, and fitted an exceedingly basic saddle tank.

1856 Inherited by the WNR, as part of a grand reckoning in which the contractor received shares in part-payment for his work.

1857-8 Rebuilt properly, as 2-2-4ST, by the WNR (the form illustrated), numbered and named.

c1870 heavy overhaul, during which it received an enclosed cab, "new" (actually secondhand) boiler, and various other improvements.

c1882 Set-aside, pending another overhaul, which never actually happened. Initially at least, and with the boiler operating at greatly reduced pressure, it was "up on blocks", being used to drive line-shafting in the workshop.

1912 Transferred to a plinth, under an awning on Castle Aching station.

1924 Transferred to secure storage, and disappeared from the public eye until it was rediscovered in an isolated farm building by the Revs Awdry and Boston during a country walk in 1953.

1957 Cosmetically restored and displayed for the centenary of the WNR, since when it has been kept at Aching Hall c/o National Trust.

All good engines are either green or yellow.

K

Brilliant.

So, a static engine during the time the layout is set.

Though Eohippus was not known to science and named until 1876.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So you want to be modern with your signalling and have semaphores. Whatever next? Block working and continuous brakes?

Something  little different I intend to include on Sarn is an extremely ancient raised point indicator which survived at Kerry until at least 1947 and is illustrated in the book on the branch. Essentially a semaphore arm which moved in an arc about the vertical.

Re Boulton's Sidings, join the local library and request it - usually free.

The Cambrian also had some delightful 0-4-0 tanks. Google Cambrian Railways Plasfynnon. The photos are late ones as it has a cab in them. The carriage is nice too. ChrisN probably knows more about it. I particularly like the upturned end of the outer panels. Believe it or not Plasfynnon lasted in revenue service until early in the 20th century.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With your signalling, you could copy the Bishops Castle Railway's grasp of fundamental signalling. As youve got a terminus plant a drooping semaphore on a lattice post close by the buffer stop, and leave it at that.

• Like 2

Edwardian

The locomotive wasn't named after the animal, it was named in reference to its role as an iron horse that had survived from the very dawn of railways in the district, that idea having, apparently, been suggested, during a visit to the workshops, by Dionysus Lardner, who fancied himself as a bit of a classical scholar, as well as fancying himself as a scientist.

K

PS: Maybe it actually ought to be something like "Eosiderohippus". Any opinions?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Edwardian

The locomotive wasn't named after the animal, it was named in reference to its role as an iron horse that had survived from the very dawn of railways in the district, that idea having, apparently, been suggested, during a visit to the workshops, by Dionysus Lardner, who fancied himself as a bit of a classical scholar, as well as fancying himself as a scientist.

K

Dawn-Iron-Horse; that explains it!

Boulton's Siding seems a must, but must buy track components rather than new books.

A curse upon whoever first mentioned Boulton's sidings, I've wasted a lot of a Friday evening trying to find (without success) what I am convinced I remember as a facsimile digitised somewhere on the web.

But one of the side tracks I was lured down did have these  entertaining one cylinder locos . Although my own avatar, Brunton's original  Crich Traveller was not mentioned, I enjoyed Claud Kinder's improvised Chinese loco, apparently taken off dead centre by swinging on the flywheel.

dh

post-21705-0-13716900-1463778310.jpg

PS

the inside leg measurement of the fireman's britches suggest that it was sometimes perhaps over-exciting to work this engine.

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 5

The difference between Great Eastern and Great Western is only a small change in spelling... ;)

I would call that an 'improved' GWR loco!   :jester: (It's a long story if you have the time one day)

Jim

Looking at those photos, some of them have a snapshot feel, as if taken on a Kodak box, and others have a more dated glass plate camera look. Our family photos looked the same, and if tied down to a ten year spread, I would say the First World War must have been in the middle of it, so 1910 to 1920. Some look really Victorian, and others very strong twenties feel.

One of the men appears to be smoking a cigarette, which were greatly popularised by the First World War. So I'll go with the 1910-20 decade

The Cambrian also had some delightful 0-4-0 tanks. Google Cambrian Railways Plasfynnon. The photos are late ones as it has a cab in them. The carriage is nice too. ChrisN probably knows more about it. I particularly like the upturned end of the outer panels. Believe it or not Plasfynnon lasted in revenue service until early in the 20th century.

Jonathan

What a lovely little engine.  Hard to resist an attempt to model it. Thanks.

• Like 1

The difference between Great Eastern and Great Western is only a small change in spelling... ;)

Well....

...spelling aside, according to the the gurus who make the running on this thread, Prussian blue lined out in red is no colour at all for a 'goodengine' compared to green & yalla - interspersed with little bits of diced carrot ? Euuwe.

But looking forward to that racy looking pince nez spectacle plate, post-Churchward GW forward vision always looks a bit serious and bloodhound droopy-eyed like.

dh

• Like 1

Well....

...spelling aside, according to the the gurus who make the running on this thread, Prussian blue lined out in red is no colour at all for a 'goodengine' compared to green & yalla - interspersed with little bits of diced carrot ? Euuwe.

Colonel Stephens was rather partial to Prussian blue, and this lifelong GWR enthusiast happens to have a liking for his locos too, which is why two O gauge K&ESR Terriers are waiting for a layout to be built for them!

Edited by BG John
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One of the men appears to be smoking a cigarette, which were greatly popularised by the First World War. So I'll go with the 1910-20 decade

The tobacco companies started to promote cigarettes in the mid-late 1880s and by the mid 1890s sales promotion, in various forms, was well established among all brands although it grew to even greater proportions in the first decade of the 20th century but (perhaps not surprisingly) shrank considerably during the Great War to grow again in the 1920s.  There was almost certainly a  'class element' in the smoking of cigarettes in the earlier years and it was definitely seen in some circles as effeminate.  From relatively early on promotion was very clearly aimed at males and by the late 1890s was equally clearly also being aimed at working class men as much as any others of the male gender and this was perhaps very much the case from c.1897 -1903.

Edited by The Stationmaster