Well, it's certainly starting to look as if that 2-4-2T should be added to the planned roster, which is, so far:

0-4-2T T7 variant

0-6-0ST Fox Walker

0-6-0T Sharp Stewart

0-6-0 - Beyer Peacock Ilfracombe Goods type and/or 0-6-0 Sharp Stewart as per anticipated Furness wagon kit

2-4-0   Sharp Stewart as per anticipated Furness wagon kit

2-4-2T Sharp Stewart as per NSR

I could add a small SS 2-4-0T using the Mainly Trains Chassis and the Quarryscapes body (these were earmarked for the Eldernell project) or a larger SS 2-4-0T like the Met D/Barry types discussed earlier.

It is quite coincidental that SS types are predominating - suggesting a definite preference for this manufacturer's product on the part of the WNR's Board.

• Like 4

With that in mind, and because they are simply gorgeous, I suggest the SS option for your 0-6-0.

If Kitson first came up with the classic, clean lines that were to define British steam locomotive engine design, Sharp, Stewart took it to another level.

Simon, thank you, and I agree, on both counts.

Thanks to you all for the comments and ideas, and an especially big thanks to Quarryscapes and Northroader for the NSR 2-4-2T drawings, Anotheran for his plans to use the L&Y Radial, Kevin for introducing the large 5'3" 2040Ts to the mix, and to Jonathan for pointing out that the MT chassis for the small 2-4-0T is still available.  

Originally I had envisaged a BP Ilfracombe Goods type as an 'intermediate' type, but the infusion of SS options suggests the logic is to go for the SS 0-6-0.  There is also the practical consideration that, it is to be hoped, in due course and by the time I am ready, Furness Wagon will have produced a mixed-media 4mm Scale kit (which I will itching to try once I have 2-3 RTR conversions under my belt).

I also need to think about the sequence and whether I am depicting the WNR's full locomotive roster or only part thereof.

The two tender designs, SS 2-4-0 and 0-6-0, are also products of the 1860s.  If I included a small (Cambrian-Gem variety) SS 2-4-0T, that is also 1860s.  This SS pair, or trio, for the WNR, would, presumably, represent the WNR's second generation engines, and would probably be the oldest types in service by 1905. .  The tender engines will retain their 4-wheel tenders due to the short TTs, but would probably have acquired half cabs at some stage. 

The 1870s see the GER-sponsored T7 type and the Fox Walker.  Both are chosen to be representative of motive power on minor E. Anglian lines and, so, are important locos for me. Yet SS keeps in there with the 0-6-0T, a goods tank where the T7 is clearly adapted to passenger work.

The 1880s onward see a determined return to SS, with, the 2-4-2T, which presumably represents a more modern approach to running more and heavier passenger services efficiently, and, possibly, the 5'3" 2-4-0T.

I would not foresee the need for the WNR to have any more modern types than this.

Obviously, it will be sometime working through this list, so there is plenty of time to amend it.   It does seem to have the making of an attractive freelance stud, however.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

That layout is really nice. One problem from your perspective though would be the pure Great Eastern nature of the stock.

There were a few other inspirational tramway-type operations in the UK, like the Alford & Sutton Tramway and the Wantage Tramway. Also, let's not forget the Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramway.

There were a few other inspirational tramway-type operations in the UK, like the Alford & Sutton Tramway and the Wantage Tramway. Also, let's not forget the Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramway.

The Mumbles tram, in it's steam form, is also quite an idiosyncratic line worth robbing for inspiration. I rather like the way some of these lines fitted skirts (and extra cabs in the case of the Dublin and Blessington) on standard steam locos, and called them trams.

There's even such a loco preserved in Scotland, which used to pull wagons down the public highway to Aberdeen gasworks: http://www.srpsmuseum.org.uk/10002.htm. Just the thing for those who don't like modelling valve gear. 

• Like 3

That layout is really nice. One problem from your perspective though would be the pure Great Eastern nature of the stock.

No problems there; the line is part-owned and backed by the GE, who donate old stock, but, the Bishop's Lynn tramway is a GE line that feeds into the WNR system so it's W&U with a dash of K&T!

This weekend I resumed building, using Shadow Dave's pictures of the Ostrich, Castle Acre.

post-25673-0-96316500-1469996543_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I hope you don't mind me asking here, seeing but seeing as Sharp Stewart et al have been in conversation, here goes. Coming at this from a GNR point of view, and already having the RCTS GN Locos vol 1, and Bird, are there other books around on Sharp Stewart, Hawthorn, etc to be found?

I hope you don't mind me asking here, seeing but seeing as Sharp Stewart et al have been in conversation, here goes. Coming at this from a GNR point of view, and already having the RCTS GN Locos vol 1, and Bird, are there other books around on Sharp Stewart, Hawthorn, etc to be found?

Well I don't have any books specifically on Sharp Stewart.  I have simply picked up stuff on the interweb and from books on other railways.  Quite a few companies had SS deigned locos, as well as contracting out the building of their own designs.  The Metropolitan, Barry, Cambrian, LBSC and GER, not to mention the Jersey Railway, and some Light Railways, all had 2-4-0Ts, for example. 

I just love these little fellas.

post-25673-0-17149000-1470086836_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-94331000-1470086864_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

JCL

There are books on several of the major, and a lot of the minor, loco builders, although they aren't all in print. There are also quite a few reproduction catalogues to be had. I don't recall one about Sharp Stewart, but the man who will know for sure is Andrew Neale, bookseller, who has a website - he keeps a vasty stock of new and secondhand books of this sort.

Edwardian

Two excellent engines there, but intimidatingly small in 4mm scale. I know there are some here present who can achieve beautiful working models of such things in this scale, and I can only admire there work.

Kevin

• Like 2

Edwardian

Two excellent engines there, but intimidatingly small in 4mm scale. I know there are some here present who can achieve beautiful working models of such things in this scale, and I can only admire there work.

Kevin

Not sure I need a 2-4-0T quite this small - they're even smaller than the Cambrian Gem/Quarryscapes type (if I may use such a shorthand) - but that sounds like a challenge!

• Like 2

Ah, but superb as his model is, it only shows one end of the line.

You could build other end, with overall train-shed roof (emphasis on the work 'shed').

As to watching PK's model of the R&E, I thought it was like sipping a very rare and expensive wine (not that I ever have); something to be savoured very slowly, and in great detail.

You could animate the grass, I suppose, so that people could watch that grow.

K

• Like 3

Edwardian,

You are very tolerant; most people would have been offended by the sudden arrival of a completely irrelevant railway in their thread.

By way of explanation, I followed a train of thought, which started with Sharp Stewart 2-4-0T, went briefly to Southwold, and then veered-off to the other end of the country.

Anyway, The Southwold Railway, with a distinct air of the voie metrique about it, in this brilliant painting, which seems to have been made by William Bunner.

[Edit: it is by William Roger BENNER 1884-1964, who also painted a picture of Blythburgh Station. Both paintings are in the collection of Southwold Museum. BENNER was from Nottingham, and retired to Blythburgh in the 1950s, and these two painting seem to date from then]

Kevin

post-26817-0-90244100-1470206709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

Well I don't have any books specifically on Sharp Stewart.  I have simply picked up stuff on the interweb and from books on other railways.  Quite a few companies had SS deigned locos, as well as contracting out the building of their own designs.  The Metropolitan, Barry, Cambrian, LBSC and GER, not to mention the Jersey Railway, and some Light Railways, all had 2-4-0Ts, for example. 

I just love these little fellas.

I think we have two distinct Sharp Stewart types pictured here. 

Surveying the examples of which I am aware, thus far I believe that I can identify 4 distinct types of Sharp Stewart standard gauge 2-4-0Ts. 

For my ease of reference I have categorised them based upon the size of the driving wheels, thus:

Small 4' Class - This I believe should include Works No. 1924 of 1869 (LB&SCR Hayling Island/Inspector), and 2 locomotives supplied to the Jersey Railway, works nos. 2047 and 2048.  I have yet to confirm the dimensions of the Jersey twins, but firmly believe that they will turn out to be the same as those of Hayling Island.    The right-hand picture in Post 1452 is one of the Jersey locomotives, in later life in Suffolk. If Kevin is throwing down the gauntlet, this is the smallest of the standard gauge Sharp Stewart 2-4-0Ts of which I am aware.

Large 4' Class - Same wheel sizes but longer w/b for a larger locomotive with wider boiler barrel.  A quartet was ordered, for some reason, by Craven of the LB&SCR on behalf of a Tunisian railway!  Only two made it sandy-side; the Brighton kept one (2242 of 1873, Bishopstone/Fratton, pictured above) and Jersey got the other (2241 of 1872).

However, I believe that Works No. 2578 of 1876 was also of this 'class'.  This is Watlington & Princes Risborough Railway No.2/GWR No. 1384/Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway Hesperus.

4'6" Class - Of this type are the 5 locomotives delivered to Cambrian Railways between 1864 and 1866.  This is the familiar type for which GEM makes the body for the 3 that survived to be Swindonised.  Mainly Trains does the chassis and Quarryscapes does 3D printed bodies for the 'as-built' and Cambrian re-built versions. 

There is also a locomotive of 1875 owned by the GER that appears to be identical to the original appearance of the Cambrian 5, save for a rather GE looking stove-pipe chimney and her GE number plate. 

5'3" Class - These were the 4 supplied to the Barry Railway in 1889-1890, 2 of which went to the Port Talbot Railway and 3 of which were rebuilt as 2-4-2T.  Also of this type is the similar locomotive supplied to the Neath and Brecon in 1893.  See post 1410 on page 57.

The Metropolitan Railway D Class was a group of six 2-4-0Ts built 1894-1895.  Kevin posted a picture on Works no. 4077 at Post 1408 on page 57.  To my mind the boiler looks fatter than on the Welsh 5,3".  I don't have dimensions for the D Class, so I don't know whether they are of the same types as the Welsh 5'3" class or whether we have a fifth, distinct, type.

EDIT:  Wonderful painting of the Southwold, Kevin.  You have to love a town with a brewery and a light-house stuck in the middle of it.  Wish my in-laws still lived in Suffolk.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Off topic, but does anyone know of someone interested in a bit of casual labour?

We need to address several things in order to get our house back onto the market.  The property is near Peterborough (we are not!). If anyone knows anyone who is prepared to take on the work, we would be most grateful.

• Manual dressing on thatch roof.  In parts there is moss.  This needs to be pulled and scraped off, and then  treated with a ph neutral moss killer.  This will be several boring days' work for someone.

• A man with a van?  We have a Luton's worth of boxes (including an old ex-exhibition layout and back copies of the RM!) to shift from Peterborough to Darlington.  It will take a day of loading, driving and unloading.

• Laying carpet tiles in 2 rooms, each approx. 10' x 10'

• Replacing a plaster ceiling in a room approx. 10' x 10'..

• Making good and decorating a boiler and laundry room.  Where an internal block wall has been taken down, we need to make good the floor, walls and ceiling.  A new block wall needs at least painting.  The boiler room needs repainting.

Thanks

James