Shadow - that is all beautiful. Highest Victoriana!

I was so excited by it all that I nearly decided to go on a day out to look at it, but, even by the fastest train, it takes nearly six hours in each direction, and the light would be fading within an hour of arrival.

Kevin

PS: and Stubby's is six hours in the opposite direction!

Edited by Nearholmer

Shadow - that is all beautiful. Highest Victoriana!

I was so excited by it all that I nearly decided to go on a day out to look at it, but, even by the fastest train, it takes nearly six hours in each direction, and the light would be fading within an hour of arrival.

Kevin

PS: and Stubby's is six hours in the opposite direction!

To help with the disappointment of not being able to visit today, here's a couple more, plus another Victorian masterpiece.

post-3744-0-80034900-1475315606_thumb.jpg

post-3744-0-25123700-1475315617_thumb.jpg

The Wallace Monument

post-3744-0-43101700-1475315628_thumb.jpg

Link here

Hope it helps!

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

To return briefly to Saltburn, there have been posted on Flikr a couple of pictures recently:

29940763471_12e82e68c0_z.jpgSaltburn Station by robmcrorie, on Flickr

Although I am a staunch GWR fan, I cannot deny that the North Eastern had overall  the grandest architecture of any railway.

Now hold onto your hats and take a look at this!

29397567373_b4e9675113_z.jpg66078 at Hunt Cliff by robmcrorie, on Flickr

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Even more impressive riding along it.

A number* of years ago during the Saltburn week celebrations they set up a Pacer shuttle between Saltburn station and Loftus and back.  Very impressive scenery.

* thinking about it  - a large number of years ago  probably 1990 or thereabouts.

Have you investigated "Chronicles of Boulton's Siding"? Im am sure there are enough prototypes there to keep your works going for decades.

Cornelius Lundie (Rhymney Railway)

Not yet, but I must.

I was going through some old photo's last night and came across these.

Look's like Kevin's "Metropolitan Pyramid Company" had customers further afield than East Anglia.

I had forgotten about this one I saw in Stirling!

attachicon.gifDSC00966_s.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00972_s.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00969_s.JPG

Built by a William Drummond.

Stirling Star Pyramid

Clearly, there will have to be at least one pyramid.

I suppose the owner of Aching Hall has a 'thing' about them. More traffic ex-Paltry Circus.

Stubby's isn't at all stubby, is it?  Rather aggressively pointy, in fact.

To help with the disappointment of not being able to visit today, here's a couple more, plus another Victorian masterpiece.

attachicon.gifDSC00971_s.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00973_s.JPG

The Wallace Monument

attachicon.gifDSC00975_s.JPG

Link here

Hope it helps!

Dave

I can see why they cast Mel Gibson; they're both colossal knobs.

To return briefly to Saltburn, there have been posted on Flikr a couple of pictures recently:

29940763471_12e82e68c0_z.jpgSaltburn Station by robmcrorie, on Flickr

Although I am a staunch GWR fan, I cannot deny that the North Eastern had overall  the grandest architecture of any railway.

Now hold onto your hats and take a look at this!

29397567373_b4e9675113_z.jpg66078 at Hunt Cliff by robmcrorie, on Flickr

Saltburn is a relatively recent acquaintance, but made a very favourable impression.  Even the Memsahib was impressed.

I must do some GW modelling - my first and most enduring enthusiasm - but I really should model something up here.

About 3 stops down from Barnard Castle, when there was a railway here, was this:

post-25673-0-00043500-1475322649_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

Nice station that, Edwardian.

I have to record that I think this Edwardian time warp is coming to life.

Ten minutes ago, I was idly staring out of the kitchen window as I washed-up, and a chap with mutton-chop whiskers, wearing what looked like Edwardian "undress" cavalry uniform, including boots, but not wearing headgear, strolled down the footpath outside.

I quickly whipped round to the other side of the house, to look at him again, and, no, my eyes didn't receive me, and he ambled off, down the path towards the pub.

If I spot any other passing Edwardians, I shall report further!

K

• Like 5

Nice station that, Edwardian.

I have to record that I think this Edwardian time warp is coming to life.

Ten minutes ago, I was idly staring out of the kitchen window as I washed-up, and a chap with mutton-chop whiskers, wearing what looked like Edwardian "undress" cavalry uniform, including boots, but not wearing headgear, strolled down the footpath outside.

I quickly whipped round to the other side of the house, to look at him again, and, no, my eyes didn't receive me, and he ambled off, down the path towards the pub.

If I spot any other passing Edwardians, I shall report further!

K

Perhaps that should be a future project.  The line is single here, on the Darlington to Barnard Castle route.  The goods yard is modest.  to the west, the line goes under the main road and then straight across the Tees on a short stone viaduct.

I would choose c. 1900-1905 and have all the locomotives NE green.   I fear, though, that the neglected NE will be one of the harder companies to tackle as a relative beginner, so I shall keep this in my pocket for later.                          

Kevin, I cannot account for your visitation.  One possibility is that across the gulf of space intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic slowly and surely drew their plans against us, and decided to land advance parties disguised as human beings, but, encountering "the wrong kind of asteroids" en route were severely delayed and arrived a century or so too late.

Another possibility is that they have somehow strayed across from a parallel universe, the one in which the real Castle Aching exists, and are simply too polite to ask the way back.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Another possibility is that they have somehow strayed across from a parallel universe, the one in which the real Castle Aching exists, and are simply too polite to ask the way back.

It's also possible that he was doing the washing up as penance, after recently staggering back along the footpath to the pub the apparition was walking along, and his perception of reality was somewhat distorted by the substances imbibed there!

• Like 2

I have been trying to hack some rather recalcitrant Triang bodies into a pair of Great Western Clerestory Van Thirds.

What has this to do with Norfolk? I hear you cry.

About as much as half the posts here (including mine), I answer.

Anyway.  There are some Bits Left Over.

And I thought, they could all be stuck together to make a nice 6-wheel Brake Third for the West Norfolk's 'Mainline' stock.

post-25673-0-61340700-1475348899_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-75436500-1475348985_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, both the van thirds and the 6-wheeler! Will the latter have a clerestory roof? There is something delightfully ancient about a clerestory 6-wheeler.

• Like 1

Very nice, both the van thirds and the 6-wheeler! Will the latter have a clerestory roof? There is something delightfully ancient about a clerestory 6-wheeler.

Except they were quite modern at the time Edwardian is portraying Castle Aching, so unlikely to be to have been sold by whatever big company it was built for, for some years.

• Like 3

Well, now.

Unlike its progenitor, the West Norfolk isn't broke.  It had bought a lot of its stock new, but is not above thrift, and has supplemented these purchases with hand-me-downs from the GE, which backs the line. 

The GE sold off a number of old (1860s) 4-wheelers around the turn of the Century, and I think some 1860s GE open wagons should also be found in WNR service.  I rather think the ex-GER 4-wheelers, yet to be re-liveried, might do for the rather desultory passenger service to Wolfringham, reinforcing the somewhat Colonel Stephens nature of this down at heel extension.  I am sure the same coaches were still running in 1935, in case that is of any help to Kevin.

That said, if I ever master Silhouette, there will be a nice Metropolitan Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Ltd 4-coach 4-wheel set, built new for the line at the beginning of the 1870s.  These replaced the original Wright coaches of the 1850s.  The Metropolitan coaches in 1905 form the branch set, running between Castle Aching and Achingham.

More recent purchases form the 'mainline' stock, running services between Castle Aching and the coast. These I see as late 1880s to 1890s vintage.  The longer vehicles will be 6-wheeled. I was very tempted to produce the coach as a clerestory, but I fear that the West Norfolk does not run to clerestories.  The GER had 6-wheeled clerestories, so one of those is possible at some stage.   I think it would be in-period to give these coaches an arc roof profile.

• Like 7

I have been trying to hack some rather recalcitrant Triang bodies into a pair of Great Western Clerestory Van Thirds.

What has this to do with Norfolk? I hear you cry.

About as much as half the posts here (including mine), I answer.

Anyway.  There are some Bits Left Over.

And I thought, they could all be stuck together to make a nice 6-wheel Brake Third for the West Norfolk's 'Mainline' stock.

Great minds think alike, I'm currently working on some very down at heel clerestories from a similar source for Pott Row. A number survived until the 50s so as I had a couple I thought I would give it a go.

What are we going to do when all the clerestories ever made have been bashed into something else, and we need more?

No doubt Hornby will reissue them yet again in a different livery! What would we do without them?

Good to see you on Sunday and I'm pleased you enjoyed the visit.

To go back over what we discussed:

This is the link to Supplier.txt which will give you Dan Pinnock's contact details along with almost everyone else you can think of.

The book I recommended was The 4mm Coal Wagon by John Hayes. There are a number of second-hand copies here. It's not just about the coal wagon (a fascinating subject in itself) but goes into some detail about scratchbuilding methods. He was an outstanding builder of wagons and everyone considering having a go should read it.

I will find and post the article (I believe from the Modeller) about converting Ratio Midland carriages to other companies' carriages.

Was there anything else?

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2

Good to see you on Sunday and I'm pleased you enjoyed the visit.

To go back over what we discussed:

This is the link to Supplier.exe which will give you Dan Pinnock's contact details along with almost everyone else you can think of.

The book I recommended was The 4mm Coal Wagon by John Hayes. There are a number of second-hand copies here. It's not just about the coal wagon (a fascinating subject in itself) but goes into some detail about scratchbuilding methods. He was an outstanding builder of wagons and everyone considering having a go should read it.

I will find and post the article (I believe from the Modeller) about converting Ratio Midland carriages to other companies' carriages.

Was there anything else?

Jonathan,  Thanks muchly.

It was a good afternoon on Sunday, not least because I managed to fit in an hour round the house (Palladian architecture being an early enthusiasm of mine), and I was rather smitten by Corfe Castle

It was a pleasure to see you again, and thank you for the wagon building tips.  I have ordered a copy of the wagon book, made very easy and economical thanks to your link, and will drop Mr Pinnock a line.

I look forward to seeing the article on the Midland coaches.

All the best, James

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2