I remember the grounded coach at Morston quay. I also remember the inhabitant though I've forgotten his name.

BTW if you think Lewis is a bit out of date, what does that make Agricola?

Richard

A mine of information?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For those into pre steam railways, a very interesting read is "The Brecon Forest Tramroads - the archaeology of an early railway system" by Stephen Hughes (RCHMW, 1990). The government was selling off assets to balance the books during the Napoleonic Wars and The Great Forest of Brecon (open moorland type Forest) was offered for sale with promises of fantastic coal and other minerals. The chap who bought it, one John Christie, had made his money importing dyes etc. He lost it trying to make a go of the Brecon Forest estate. But he tried hard and part of it was an ambitiuous horse worked tramway from Gurnos in the Swansea valley to Sennybridge near Brecon. An excellent book. All you need to model the line is some working model horses.

Jonathan

• Like 2

And, I've been racking my brains for instances of horse-drawn railways in Norfolk, to avoid gross off-topickery. I'll admit that I couldn't think of one, so had to google, and discovered that the Wissington Railway was horse-drawn in its initial incarnation. So, going back to the post that started this diversion: The Levelling Party are surveying the route for a horse-drawn adjunct to the WNR, with a view to opening-up agricultural trade from an under-developed district.

K

• Like 4

Excellent.

Thanks goodness the RTR manufacturers haven't produced one of those, where would the fun have been?  ;)

Beautiful! 

And thanks - you've helped me decide that the brake coach on EW needs to have red ends! It looks rather good with the green and cream. 

Thank you.

Well, at least the photographs show where I need to do some touching up!

I almost posted a picture on Elsbridge to show a new coach in "our" livery, but thought that might be a bit cheeky!

I quite like the green end, too, but, yes, if you are devising your own carriage livery, why wouldn't you elect to paint the brake ends red?!?

Very posh.

Well, yes, the Line's most modern express coaches.  Hopefully the effect of 4 or 5 together will be pleasing.

post-25673-0-85386000-1476132833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thank you.

Well, at least the photographs show where I need to do some touching up!

I almost posted a picture on Elsbridge to show a new coach in "our" livery, but thought that might be a bit cheeky!

I quite like the green end, too, but, yes, if you are devising your own carriage livery, why wouldn't you elect to paint the brake ends red?!?

Well, yes, the Line's most modern express coaches. Hopefully the effect of 4 or 5 together will be pleasing.

You should have posted a photo - it is a very nice livery!

I think red for the brake end, and green for the other end is the way to go - it just looks right.

Really must get cracking and finish painting mine.

• Like 3

You should have posted a photo - it is a very nice livery!

I think red for the brake end, and green for the other end is the way to go - it just looks right.

Really must get cracking and finish painting mine.

Yes, you should.  I look forward to seeing your excellent coaches painted.  Not least the coupé.

I think when the West Norfolk opened Castle Aching station in the latter '50s, it must have had a first class coupé, though, alas, that will have been long gone by 1905!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, you should.  I look forward to seeing your excellent coaches painted.  Not least the coupé.

I think when the West Norfolk opened Castle Aching station in the latter '50s, it must have had a first class coupé, though, alas, that will have been long gone by 1905!

I will, I will...honest guv'nor!

I'm sure it would still be around then - the stationmaster will need a nice home for his chickens surely?!

• Like 3

I think not.

I'm sure that I saw it last week, right at the back of the carriage-shed, having been retained nominally as a Directors' Saloon, but in practice as the place where The General Manager partakes of intimate suppers, and discussions of poetry, which his wife doesn't understand, with Mrs Broughton, who became a widow while still very much in the prime of life.

K

This is rather more urban than Castle Aching, and the wrong area, but a fascinating look at life in 1900 that you don't get from still photos. Watch out for the bloke learning to ride a bike, and how his teacher helps to save his life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nI4oLBvYMM

Magnificent!

Saddened by the unexpected and inexplicable absence of whippets, but, otherwise, superb.

Thank you.

Mind you, I wouldn't have wanted to be a tram driver in 1900; people were practically throwing themselves in front of the thing the whole way through!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Mind you, I wouldn't have wanted to be a tram driver in 1900; people were practically throwing themselves in front of the thing the whole way through!

There's a point where the filming stops abruptly as it gets very close to some people!

Marvellous!

Both content and quality.

Is it from a set of films made by messrs X&Y (memory fails me), parts of which periodically appear in TV documentaries?

K

No idea. I discovered it through Vintage Everyday on Facebook. Lots of stuff of Victorian/Edwardian interest keeps coming up.

This is the web site http://www.vintag.es/

Edited by BG John

A box arrived today.  From Shapeways.

It contained 3 pairs of wagon underframes, a 5-plank body and a marked but unfamiliar smell. 

These are new designs from Quarryscapes of this parish.  He strode manfully into the fray when I was debating my options for creating 9'6" wheel-base wagons.  This wheel-base typified both GE and GN wagon output from the 1880s, yet I found that there were no wagon or u/f kits suitable, as 9' or 10' u/fs are the norm.

What Norm has to do with this, I am entirely unsure.  But Alan's efforts are certainly appreciated. 

These are wooden 9'6" w/b wagons - 2 of each u/f are provided:  

GER Square Grease

GER Teardrop Grease

GNR Grease

They are found here: http://www.shapeways.com/product/HUUXXNYFP/15-x-9-6-underframe-mix-set-4mm-scale?optionId=60772530

They should prove suitable for GER Diagram 16, GER un-diagrammed 4-plank and GN equivalent.

I shall attempt one of each of these and will attempt to scratch-build 2 of the bodies.

Just waiting for some Gibson open spoke wheels and top-hat bearings to arrive.

post-25673-0-93418700-1476204159_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Mitchell & Kenyon did a lot of this type of video.

The kids were surely playing to the camera.

The website confirms that it was indeed from the Mitchell  Kenyon collection though the date must have bee a bit later than 1900 as the system didn't open until 1902. Let's say 1905 as seems to be a popular date round here!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The thing that struck me on that tram ride was the state of the road surfaces, compared with riding round in a car on today's tarmac roads. Totally grotty cobbles, smothered in horse poo, dead uneven. Must think again about that when doing mine.

• Like 1

The thing that struck me on that tram ride was the state of the road surfaces, compared with riding round in a car on today's tarmac roads. Totally grotty cobbles, smothered in horse poo, dead uneven. Must think again about that when doing mine.

The Memsahib can supply you with the horse poo ..

• Like 1

A box arrived today.  From Shapeways.

It contained 3 pairs of wagon underframes, a 5-plank body and a marked but unfamiliar smell. 

These are new designs from Quarryscapes of this parish.  He strode manfully into the fray when I was debating my options for creating 9'6" wheel-base wagons.  This wheel-base typified both GE and GN wagon output from the 1880s, yet I found that there were no wagon or u/f kits suitable, as 9' or 10' u/fs are the norm.

What Norm has to do with this, I am entirely unsure.  But Alan's efforts are certainly appreciated. 

These are wooden 9'6" w/b wagons - 2 of each u/f are provided:  

GER Square Grease

GER Teardrop Grease

GNR Grease

They are found here: http://www.shapeways.com/product/HUUXXNYFP/15-x-9-6-underframe-mix-set-4mm-scale?optionId=60772530

They should prove suitable for GER Diagram 16, GER un-diagrammed 4-plank and GN equivalent.

I shall attempt one of each of these and will attempt to scratch-build 2 of the bodies.

Just waiting for some Gibson open spoke wheels and top-hat bearings to arrive.

I would be interested to know the history of these wagons, how long did they last? My research suggests a lot of pre grouping wagons were still in use at nationalisation were these?