Yes.

I shall be there, too.

Notwithstanding, I shall aim to be there.

[winking face]

It would be good to meet you

Or how about this one, presumably of East Anglian parentage. I hope the link works.

http://www.jigidi.com/solve.php?id=TOA3GXJL

Jonathan

In a way!  Ipswich .... Queensland!

She's a Bonny Scots Lassie by Neilsons of Glasgow.

No reason why they shouldn't have built one for the West Norfolk!

post-25673-0-16371200-1477488262_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Or how about this one, presumably of East Anglian parentage. I hope the link works.

http://www.jigidi.com/solve.php?id=TOA3GXJL

Jonathan

Delivered in 1866, sold to a sugar mill in 1896 and there remained in service until 1964.  Very pretty little engine but regrettably not really displayed to best advantage in the QR museum in Ipswich (QLD) - and the Westinghouse pump sort of lets things down I think

post-6859-0-05033600-1477495603_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Well, I had assumed vacuum, not air, braking on the West Norfolk, so another sale lost to O S Nock.   Then again, the sponsor of the line was the GER, so that might be thought to encouraged the adoption of the Westinghouse system.  But I feel that the pumps might visually overburden the humble little locos I have planned. 

Further, I think we could dispense with the sun shade and replace with a half-cab.  Tempted to make that a spectacle plate only, but this is 1905!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Suitably repentant. I should have looked more carefully.

This one is not of East Anglian origin either, and is a little bit too modern, but it is only a stretch of water away from Castle Aching in Hoorn.

BTW that is a preserved railway well worth a visit if you get a chance.

post-13650-0-88844900-1477572837.jpg

Jonathan

• Like 5

I begin to wonder why I am to build my own track when the Launceston line clearly uses Peco Ready-to-Lay points!

Some nice Vignoles/flat bottomed rails spiked straight on the sleepers.  Unfortunately it's being replaced by something more modern.

post-25673-0-89126500-1478000234_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-86680300-1478000266_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well, back to reality with a bump.  The people who viewed the house last week were clearly just "tourists".  The house is looking really good, too (http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62239964.html).  Just want to sell it!  BREXIT uncertainties possibly don't help.

In the meantime, work suspended on the West Norfolk for lack of funds, because I cannot justify the necessary expenditure on insulating the outbuilding before the onset of winter!

Black Dog settling in.

post-25673-0-81663500-1478017839.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Those small SS 2-4-0s are very much in my cross-hairs, though I had assumed the WNR would buy them new.  The WNR is a small line, with some second-hand stock, but not a shoe-string line (it's me, not the WNR, that's brassic). There are at least 2 kits planned in 4mm, so far as I am aware.  Knuckles of this parish has now produced a Furness Railway J1, which was a tank rebuild, so I believe the original tender version will be along at some point in 3D print.

Frankly, I'd like a Cambrian, Furness and West Norfolk version, as I love these locos, and their 0-6-0 SS sisters, all with 4-wheel tenders!

I have to own up to not having read every item in this thread, so I may have missed a reference to a delightful photo of GER Sharpie 2-4-0 114 at Thetford Junction in 1910. I spotted it in J.E.Kite's 1850 - 1925 Vintage Album. It has the requisite 4-wheeled tender.

Edited by phil_sutters

The GER Sharpies were different dimensionally to those which went to the Cambrian and Furness. This is even more the case for the one you mention, as it had been rebuilders by then with a larger boiler to standard GE dimensions. (IIRC, for a long while they had two diameters: small - buckjumpers, et al - and, well, medium really: Y14s, T19s, etc.)

I have to own up to not having read every item in this thread, so I may have missed a reference to a delightful photo of GER Sharpie 2-4-0 114 at Thetford Junction in 1910. I spotted it in J.E.Kite's 1850 - 1925 Vintage Album. It has the requisite 4-wheeled tender.

My planned GER locomotive for the GER through service is, indeed, a Little Sharpie or "No.1 Class".  They were wonderful locomotives, and very handsome in their turn of the Century condition, as Maskelyne knew and drew them.  In terms of date and place, they are a good match for visiting the West Norfolk and, of course, they were still running with 4-wheel tenders.  Marvellous! 

Once I have attempted the T7-derivative and the Fox Walker, I hope to tackle the No. 1 Class as a RTR conversion.  They are, as you say, dimensionally different from the Cambrian/Furness/(ahem)West Norfolk Sharpies, and there is, would you believe, a RTR chassis that is a very close match; the Kernow Beattie Well Tank!

Wheels/wheelbase of the Little Sharpie: (3’7” Leading) – 6’11” – (5’7” Driver) – 7’1” - (5’7” Driver)

Wheels/wheelbase of the Beattie 298 Class Well Tank:  (3’7¾” Leading) – 5’6” – (5’7” Driver) – 7’’ - (5’7” Driver)

I would plan simply(!) to remove the o/s motion and move the leading wheel forward.  The motorised coupled wheels will be close enough to the correct wheelbase for me.

The model pictured below is the Peter Kay model, from the manufacturer's website.  No complete kit is available, and I don't fancy my chances with those etches.

post-25673-0-42764100-1478025008.jpg

post-25673-0-05812600-1478025015.jpg

post-25673-0-54245700-1478025031.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12

Yes, well. Be careful with that drawing: some details are a little unclear, and the end-on view has the wheels running on what appears to be 5' gauge...!

Maskelyne was not above filling in details if he didn't have the information to hand.

Thanks!  I also have drawings in the Oakwood Portfolio volume, culled from The Engineer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shame you don't live in Norfolk, as I have some sheets of insulation that I need shot of......

Hopefully you still have the motivation to do stock and house building though?

Andy G

Shame you don't live in Norfolk, as I have some sheets of insulation that I need shot of......

Hopefully you still have the motivation to do stock and house building though?

Andy G

Thanks, Andy.  If you still have it when I can afford a van to go to Peterborough to clear out my remaining lumber, I'll let you know!

I must halt village expansion too, as there is nowhere indoors I can store it and it won't survive winter in the out-building as it currently is.  I am, however, gradually collecting tools, kits and bits with a view to a winter stock-building programme. If I can find a way to get some rails laid before the 1st anniversary of this "layout" topic in January, I will, but I have no baseboard material and nowhere to put them up, again, until I can 'civilise' the outbuilding  (a stream ran through it last winter!).

So, there are a number of minor frustrations flowing from the major one of the unsold house, but, there is certainly some interesting stock on the way, if I can keep that modelling 'mojo' alive.   

• RMweb Premium

I know that feeling, I re-awakened my railway modelling 8 years ago when I got this signalling job, lots of spare time between trains to do it, but sadly no-where to put it once I've made it.  I have a dream of the layout I am going to have one day, and that involves a lot of stock that has to be scratchbuilt. So what I fill my modelling time with at the minute is making coaches. My skills have improved no end, and I get a real buzz from the results. Maybe one day I'll get them painted and have somewhere to run them!

Andy G

if I can keep that modelling 'mojo' alive.

Good morning Edwardian.

I came across this website while surfing the interweb & thought it might be of interest.

From what I have seen of the figures on this website, they may fit in well with your layout and would something small to be going on with until the outbuilding is civilised.

Just a thought,

Pepsi

http://www.acstadden.co.uk/

Edited by ukpepsi

Good morning Edwardian.

I came across this website while surfing the interweb & thought it might be of interest.

From what I have seen of the figures on this website, they may fit in well with your layout and would something small to be going on with while the until the outbuilding is civilised.

Just a thought,

Pepsi

http://www.acstadden.co.uk/

Many thanks for the thought, and you are quite correct, they are of interest.  I think I have all the sets released to date.  To be quite frank, they are so good, I  have, so far, shied away from painting them, preferring to 'get my hand in' with Aidan Campbell and Mike Pett figures, but, yes, I should have a crack at them.

I imagine it would be a good idea to alternate tasks, in this case wagons and people.

What greatly interests me is the announcement by Stadden of 1860s figures!

• Like 1

And then there were three...

The dropside is a standard Hornby product picked up second hand at a trader's exhibition stand for just 3 of your British pounds.

I was going to use the body on the Cambrian Gloucester chassis, but then decided to spend 5 minutes with a pin chuck drill and scalpel to cut out behind the brake handles to separate them from the moulded brake gear and thin them out.  I have left the wagon braked on both sides.  

At the moment it has its original, plastic, wheels, though they seem a little lager than the Gibsons.  In due course I am sure it will be worth opening up the axle boxes for bearing cups and inserting the obligatory Gibson split spoke wheels.

post-25673-0-54304000-1478442747_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-59526200-1478442779_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-87297000-1478442826_thumb.jpg

• Like 11