I watched the BBC coverage at the Cenotaph, which was moving as ever. I am grateful to all those who endure war for our sakes, and grateful that I have never had to.

As a young yeomanry subaltern, I once led my Troop on a Remembrance Sunday parade.

There were various contingents, RAF Cadets, Scouts, police etc, and we were arranged in a circle around the town cenotaph.  This gave me limited visibility of the other participants.  As usual, I had received no briefing and was unsure of the various points at which I was supposed to salute.  Fortunately and old RAF officer leading the Cadets was in my line of sight and every time he threw one up, I did the same.

After the march past, over sherry and nibbles at the Town Hall, I fell into conversation with the RAF officer, who was charming and entertaining.  I duly confessed that I had been glad for someone on parade who had known what he was doing, for each time he had saluted, I had merely followed his lead.  "Oh" said the officer, "I had no idea what I was doing either, but there was a copper stood opposite me, and I just did what he did!"

Returning to Castle Aching, I have lettered one side of the coal wagon.  On reflection I wonder if I should have placed "No.2" "CASTLE ACHING" one plank lower and run the words "COAL MERCHANT" above.

I am not sure if or how I could remove the transfers now.

What do you reckon? Should I leave as is or re-letter?

post-25673-0-57581700-1479053182_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

A dilemma, to be sure.

Personally, I think it looks entirely plausible as it is, but if is going to nag at your mind, either whip the offending transfers off quick, or turn the wagon round, and do the other side as you prefer.

I'm still deeply impressed with this wagon, by the way, because you've achieved the look of wood and iron so effectively.

Kevin

• Like 1

I think the wagon looks great, and, personally, I'd be reluctant to do anything that might spoil it. If you do another wagon for this firm you can always use the alternative style then; that would be entirely in keeping with how these things were done in reality.

• RMweb Premium

There were so many variations and styles that I would not bother.

I assume this wagon would not be travelling to the other end of the country and if it remained local, then I am sure everyone would already know that Israel was the local coal merchant - so no need to mention it specifically.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested to see what happened to the baby if they had to brake sharply

I think I can guess ;)

Actually there were no brakes.

Since this seems to be a two penny farthing, perhaps we should call it one new pence - near as damn it.

• Like 2

I watched the BBC coverage at the Cenotaph, which was moving as ever. I am grateful to all those who endure war for our sakes, and grateful that I have never had to.

As a young yeomanry subaltern, I once led my Troop on a Remembrance Sunday parade.

There were various contingents, RAF Cadets, Scouts, police etc, and we were arranged in a circle around the town cenotaph.  This gave me limited visibility of the other participants.  As usual, I had received no briefing and was unsure of the various points at which I was supposed to salute.  Fortunately and old RAF officer leading the Cadets was in my line of sight and every time he threw one up, I did the same.

After the march past, over sherry and nibbles at the Town Hall, I fell into conversation with the RAF officer, who was charming and entertaining.  I duly confessed that I had been glad for someone on parade who had known what he was doing, for each time he had saluted, I had merely followed his lead.  "Oh" said the officer, "I had no idea what I was doing either, but there was a copper stood opposite me, and I just did what he did!"

Returning to Castle Aching, I have lettered one side of the coal wagon.  On reflection I wonder if I should have placed "No.2" "CASTLE ACHING" one plank lower and run the words "COAL MERCHANT" above.

I am not sure if or how I could remove the transfers now.

What do you reckon? Should I leave as is or re-letter?

Your inner fears are justified. The number and location really ought to be on the bottom plank... Re-wetting the transfers might help get them off (it's a long time since I used Pressfix as I prefer Methfix but usually end up trying to hand letter).

Richard

• RMweb Premium

That double penny farthing is interesting. Looking at the high-wheels, I can see that it falls to poor Father to do all the work, as I can't see any pedals on the far wheel. It also looks as though Dear Ma'ma is riding side-saddle. There also looks to be some sort of link across from the headstock which must have made it difficult to pedal, and I can't work out what that shadow is by Fathers inside foot, is it another cross brace? If it is, then pedalling must have been almost impossible!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Personally I would leave the wagon. While I agree the number and location would normally be lower the are always exceptions so this could well be one (two actually as its wagon no 2). I see no reason to add the words Coal Merchant he could well be one of those conceited enough to believe that anyone who mattered would know who he was. It might also explain why he went his own way on the lettering.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I'm also for leaving it, as is, I've just had a scout around the net for Pictures of Private Owner wagons and quite a few had no signage for the type of business.

• Like 2

That tent wagon in shadow's third link is absolutely marvellous! ( although I would suggest that it does proclaim the owner's business; just a bit!)

Has anyone got the book that it's in, because I'd love to know the colours?

I've got a French Hornby tent wagon, but it is a plain and dull thing.

Kevin

PS: maybe I could create a tent-based artwork called "All the engines I've ever shunted with".

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Henry John Gasson was a second lieutenant in the First World War.
Born 1877/8, son of a merchant.

Guessing that his Army ties may have enabled him to get WW1 tents post cessation.
Also old boys network in getting Government Contractor contracts?

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Gasson-48

http://gasson.one-name.net/getperson.php?personID=I518&tree=Gasson-1911-UK

Also looks like Dapol may have done one already.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.ebaystatic.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2F3lIAAOSwhcJWIPpR%2Fs-l225.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fsch%2FTrains-Railway-Models-%2F479%2Fi.html%3F_sop%3D1%26_nkw%3Dwessex%2Bwagon%26_frs%3D1&docid=l57w1r6sk3lLnM&tbnid=jaKNwT-0jtOwBM%3A&vet=1&w=225&h=169&itg=1&client=tablet-android-pega&bih=600&biw=960&ved=0ahUKEwj-0OS1iajQAhVDB8AKHT2pAD4QMwgcKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Dave.

Edit :- Possible that his father started the business in 1840/41 (see details in post below, and that it's pre WW1 - 1907)

Warning :- Be careful about searching for Gasson on eBay!!!

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

Better picture here.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/Dapol-limited-edition-henry-john-481975089

And box with a few details here

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/360/1113/03/Dapol-limited-edition-henry-john_360_efaea0086a4fb44b247a91a3add84470.jpg

Edit :- tried to decipher the text on the last image :-

Henry John Gasson, Government Contractor

of Rye, East Sussex. MR style vent van No.20

Established before 1840, Gassons where general merchants

and marine (?) store xxxxxx. Henry John and xxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx

business by 1841 and started advertising his trade as a

seller of tents, marquees, covers and xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx from 1907(?).

Soon afterwards he promoted the company as a

“Government Contractor”. This covered wagon was built in

1905 and much later became No. 779 with the Salt Union Limted.

Edited by Shadow

• RMweb Premium

See Turton Vol 9 page 67. A full page on the wagon including a photo taking up nearly half the space. Built by Thomas Burnett and registered by that company in 1905, which explains the GCR registration.

Keith says "The main body appears to be black with the trader's name in red with possibly blue shading on a white background. The smaller text is also shaded, possibly in red. The van ended up in the ownership of Salt Union Limited, becoming their number 779."

Jonathan

• Like 2

That tent wagon in shadow's third link is absolutely marvellous! ( although I would suggest that it does proclaim the owner's business; just a bit!)

I also like this one -

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Flightmoor.co.uk%2FBDLbooksample_pics%2FL9495_samp2.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Flightmoor.co.uk%2Fbooks%2Fprivate-owner-wagons-a-ninth-collection%2FL9495&docid=AZox77zxJzuqvM&tbnid=_v1OCuTtSZkcgM%3A&vet=1&w=600&h=385&client=tablet-android-pega&bih=600&biw=960&ved=0ahUKEwiQs6bI56fQAhVIKMAKHWK_DkUQMwgrKBAwEA&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=385&imgdii=_v1OCuTtSZkcgM%3A%3B_v1OCuTtSZkcgM%3A%3BfnHlhZpAjZuNLM%3A&vet=1&w=600 

never seen a wagon with an advert for another company on it before!  Don't fancy trying to replicate all that curvy lettering, though!

Jim

• Like 1

There were a number of such things - Shepherd Neame had several vans at one time and there's a picture in one of the LNER collections of what looks like a GNR CCT painted royal blue and lettered up for a coachbuilder from (IIRC) Bath.

One of my interests is ferry vans and some of the ROD 20T vans which were mainly sold to Belgium also went to private owners. If you use the excellent 'Britain from Above' site and look for the Coltness Cement Works (incorrectly captioned as 'Costness') you can see several among the rakes of vans parked around the site.

It's a shame this is too late for you, although what it might be doing in deepest Norfolk might be a conundrum. Secret military base? Good excuse for special traffic.

Edited by jwealleans

The LNWR had some CCTs painted in the livery of the users (usually motor dealers). Very pretty models they would make too.

Turton offers a few examples of PO wagons lettered for something other than the actual user. The billiard ball wagon (produced by POWSIDES) is one such example. Technically I understand such advertising was contrary to the 'rules' but some such definitely ran in service. Albeit, I think, as rare birds, not something one would expect to find in the 6.35 am local goods to Muddlecombe-on-Slush.

But then again, modelling the 'typical', although in my view more convincing, is not what modellers tend to do. Hence the surfeit of P2s (and in earlier times, Lords of the Isles.)

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1