If you're looking for something of that general nature and authentic then surely a Pantechnicon is called for?

penlan_9_zps1e7c4b91.jpg

This one from the now retired and lamented Penlan.

Edit - link provided to my pictures of Penlan at what I believe was its last show. Also features Horton Regis which is very nice as well.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

The LNWR had some CCTs painted in the livery of the users (usually motor dealers). Very pretty models they would make too.

Turton offers a few examples of PO wagons lettered for something other than the actual user. The billiard ball wagon (produced by POWSIDES) is one such example. Technically I understand such advertising was contrary to the 'rules' but some such definitely ran in service. Albeit, I think, as rare birds, not something one would expect to find in the 6.35 am local goods to Muddlecombe-on-Slush.

But then again, modelling the 'typical', although in my view more convincing, is not what modellers tend to do. Hence the surfeit of P2s (and in earlier times, Lords of the Isles.)

One of the LNWR D425 six wheel parcel vans was permanently allocated to Palethorpes. However, I don't know if it ran in LNWR livery (I assume so) or was pained in Palethorpes livery as the later LMS vans were.

There was an article about Palethorpes, with a photo of that van, in Backtrack, about a year ago, which I think I've kept.

IIRC, the van was in standard livery, but had a long roofboard, believed white script on blue ground, proclaiming the traffic, and it had all sorts of destination names sign-written on the panels adjacent to the doors. There was a bit of a campaign to get lithographed versions of the sides for it produced in 0 at the time of the article, because a tinplate version of the same van, in LMS Period 1 livery is on the market, but surprisingly few people seemed to like it. Everyone seems to like the later ones, with a picture of a packet of Brummy bangers on the side.

One can also get what I think are fictional tinplate PO vans for Birmingham's other great pork butcher. I love them, because of the macabre slogan, as per below.

Kevin

post-26817-0-63506300-1479143798_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

Poggy

Those LNWR CCTs were available as r-t-r models.

They've been out of stock at most shops for over a century now, though. A modern replica is available, but it is a six-wheeler, which is all wrong.

K

The S&DJR operated a CCT lettered for S & A Fuller, coachbuilders of Bath. It was n.11 in the S&D fleet and was used by them for regular traffic when not required by Fullers. In dark blue with lots of gold lettering it must have been quite a sight!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There were two LNWR vans built on standard carriage 31 ft chassis allocated to traffic from Pryce Jones in Newtown (he more or less invented mail order in order to find markets for local flannel). Apparently the LNWR Society has some information. I don't know if they were specially liveried or lettered (but would like to).

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

The S&DJR operated a CCT lettered for S & A Fuller, coachbuilders of Bath. It was n.11 in the S&D fleet and was used by them for regular traffic when not required by Fullers. In dark blue with lots of gold lettering it must have been quite a sight!

Has anyone seen this exotic beast? If so where? Was it Highbridge-built or Derby or..?

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading PO wagons book 5 by Keith Turton.

Messers Coote ( from Wisbeach) and Warren (From Ely) merged in 1908 and would be a good additional coal wagon should you need one. Mr Coote was already shipping block trains of coal to Peterbrough in 1885, for distribution all over East Anglia he delivered to KL. So Castle Aching would be a possibility for either a Coote or Coote and Warren wagon.. There was another KL connection in the book but thats at home so I'll try to remember the information when I get he chance.

I've just been reading PO wagons book 5 by Keith Turton.

Messers Coote ( from Wisbeach) and Warren (From Ely) merged in 1908 and would be a good additional coal wagon should you need one. Mr Coote was already shipping block trains of coal to Peterbrough in 1885, for distribution all over East Anglia he delivered to KL. So Castle Aching would be a possibility for either a Coote or Coote and Warren wagon.. There was another KL connection in the book but thats at home so I'll try to remember the information when I get he chance.

Thank you for this.  As CA is notionally c.1905, and given what you say of Coote's base and operations, I should think a Coote wagon would be just what CA needs.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

James,

Casting your mind back to the first few pages of this thread, you explained how the buildings are a mixture of OO and HO.

How did you rescale the Scalescenes paper and the window frames for the HO versions ?

I ask as I'd like to use a similar concept on my harbour layout, just behind the YMCA.

• Like 1

James,

Casting your mind back to the first few pages of this thread, you explained how the buildings are a mixture of OO and HO.

How did you rescale the Scalescenes paper and the window frames for the HO versions ?

I ask as I'd like to use a similar concept on my harbour layout, just behind the YMCA.

Sorry, rush at work, but you now have my full attention!

For HO specifically, I followed Scalescenes' own advice, i.e. take an 'OO' kit and print at 87% of full size (http://scalescenes.com/not-modelling-in-n-or-oo/).

However, I have printed buildings at various percentages of full size with the intention of gradually reducing size.  My printer menu allows me to insert a custom percentage when printing pdfs.

As many of Castle Aching's buildings where created from photographs of real buildings, which I scaled as best I could to 1/76 before printing out at whatever percentage of full size I chose, some of the nominal scales are a mite approximate!  

post-25673-0-28345000-1479414445_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My parents are having a clear out.  This largely involves dumping their junk on me!  The occasional item of interest turns up, such as these pictures of my first layout.

Yes, that is the young Edwardian(!)

Brilliant! It's really nice to see these sort of pictures of where the hobby came from. Did you ever manage to fit the train through the tunnel that you were trying to make with your mouth?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My parents are having a clear out.  This largely involves dumping their junk on me!  The occasional item of interest turns up, such as these pictures of my first layout.

Yes, that is the young Edwardian(!)

I like the coal mine - evidently you already knew what railways were really about!

That's a very high-class station building...

Very early 80s judging by the rolling stock and your collar?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

I built most of the kits seen on your layout plus others, what ever happened to Builder Plus kits?

30 years later I built some of them again with my daughter for her trainset. Then she discovered playing the drums, guitar etc so shouldn't complain.

• Like 2