I do like the station building.; not GWR by the look of it and I am not sure I have seen it before.

Builder Plus.  It has a distinctly Midland look to me.  I wish I still had it!

Compound, I thought beer was what your railway was all about!

Mullie - big fan of Builder Plus, which used the sort great photo-realistic textures that we now have with downloadable ranges.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do like the station building.; not GWR by the look of it and I am not sure I have seen it before.

The high class station building seems to be a model of Haworth on the K&WVR - with this early Midland influence, I do wonder how Edwardian got distracted onto 1935 GWR alongside his pre-group interests! I see that (following mullie's hint) this was a Builder Plus kit of the mid-to-late 70s.  

• RMweb Gold

The high class station building seems to be a model of Haworth on the K&WVR - with this early Midland influence, I do wonder how Edwardian got distracted onto 1935 GWR alongside his pre-group interests! I see that (following mullie's hint) this was a Builder Plus kit of the mid-to-late 70s.  

Edwardian has previously declared an interest in the GWR

Don

• RMweb Premium

Guilty as charged

Wonder no longer!

A well-spent childhood ...

Ah yes, Bridgnorth - when I was little we lived first in Shrewsbury and then Birmingham, so the SVR was our nearest steam railway; the next nearest (or so it seemed) bring the Talyllyn and Vale of Rheidol - the latter being a 'proper' railway with engines and carriages in BR blue. While on the theme of blue remembered hills...

Compound, I thought beer was what your railway was all about!

Why, if 'tis dancing you would be, 

There's brisker pipes than poetry.

Say, for what were hop-yards meant,

Or why was Burton built on Trent?

... but no, the Midland was a coal railway. Any other traffic was incidental.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn't the W&L be nearer than the Vale of Rheidol? A group of us started a Model Railway Club in Bridgnorth but decided that was too formal and just used to meet in the bar at Bridgnorth Station for a natter and a jar or two. You could also buy a ticket at Shrewsbury Station for Shrewsbury Station travelling via Chester, Llandudno Jcn, Blaenau, Porthmaddog and Machynlleth ( you could go the other way round instead).

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's a copy in my book.... "Private Owner Wagons of Somerset"  Lightmoor Press

:-)

Christmas has come early - I now today have said book. As a former inhabitant of the Somerset Coalfield*, it is a fascinating read and a mine (sorry that really was unintentional) of useful data and photos. What led me there was your description of the Fuller's CCT. I have used the drawing of a Midland 25ft CCT, from which the S&DJR/Fuller's CCT was clearly derived and produced a mock-up. When I shall get round to doing a proper job with wheels and buffers and all that sort of thing I don't know. Many thanks for the inspiration - a lot of hard work on your part. I hope the attached doesn't mean someone else doesn't need to buy your book!

* My Scottish geography teacher, at my school in Kent, refused to believe that there was a Somerset Coalfield. I ended up writing to the NCB and getting a leaflet on it, to prove I was right.

Best wishes - Phil

P.S. as I looked at the uploaded photo - I wondered/panicked that I had omitted a full-stop after the S in S&A. FULLER - but it was their painter not me that left it out! I have noticed that BATH should be a bit further right and (ONLY ADDRESS) should consequently be smaller.

post-14351-0-34031500-1480120709_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 10

I have lettered one side of the coal wagon.  On reflection I wonder if I should have placed "No.2" "CASTLE ACHING" one plank lower and run the words "COAL MERCHANT" above.

I am not sure if or how I could remove the transfers now.

What do you reckon? Should I leave as is or re-letter?

Better?

I am happier with this arrangement.  Just need to do the other side now!

post-25673-0-65533000-1480242996_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 18

Well, while everyone else has been at Warley, I have finished lettering Castle Aching's first two private owners.

Pictured are the brake side of Israel Turner's wagon and my Nearholmer tribute wagon!  (I hope he doesn't mind)

post-25673-0-67754500-1480274821_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

But, until now, he had no idea himself!

So astonished is he, that he has come downstairs from his room at the Shepherd's Port Grand Hotel, to the otherwise deserted lounge bar, in order to avail himself of a restorative brandy.

In fact, since there are no other guests, a situation that has pertained for nearly a decade now, and the staff (Mr and Mrs Shingle) have retired to their quarters for the evening, he has availed himself of the entire bottle, which probably means that he will still be restorative tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Mr O'Doolight may be in his cups, but he has formed a theory: that the names on the two PO wagons are, in point of fact, linked, and form a vital clue in the mysteries that he is consuming his retirement in attempting to unravel.

He recommends that Edwardian should take a short day trip to Sharow, near Ripon, where he will find the tomb of the late Astronomer Royal of Scotland, Charles Piazzi Smyth, a Champion of the British Israelites. The form of the tomb can, no doubt, be guessed.

Mr O'Doolight will now spend much of the night in obscure calculations, relating to the ratio 4/7, The Golden Mean, and the distance between Giza and the junction of Great Queen Street and Wild Street in London.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

Well, while everyone else has been at Warley, I have finished lettering Castle Aching's first two private owners.

Pictured are the brake side of Israel Turner's wagon and my Nearholmer tribute wagon!  (I hope he doesn't mind)

Wagons look excellent. I wasn't at Warley either so that makes two of us.

Edited by mullie

When I lived in Essex, Warley was the local mental hospital so the name conjures up different things to me.

What, large, grim, ugly, decaying brutalist concrete institutional architecture?

Oh, no, sorry, that is Birmingham.

Hat, coat ....

Mr O'Doolight may be in his cups, but he has formed a theory: that the names on the two PO wagons are, in point of fact, linked, and form a vital clue in the mysteries that he is consuming his retirement in attempting to unravel.

He recommends that Edwardian should take a short day trip to Sharow, near Ripon, where he will find the tomb of the late Astronomer Royal of Scotland, Charles Piazzi Smyth, a Champion of the British Israelites. The form of the tomb can, no doubt, be guessed.

Mr O'Doolight will now spend much of the night in obscure calculations, relating to the ratio 4/7, The Golden Mean, and the distance between Giza and the junction of Great Queen Street and Wild Street in London.

Methinks someone has been reading too much Dan Brown. Some say one page is too much...

• Like 2