If you do decide to install gas street lighting at Castle Aching, remember that gas lighting was much yellower than electricity.

Or come and pay a visit to Nottingham when it's dark. The Park estate (next to the Castle) is still gas lit, although the lamps seems to be a modern automated design that come on automatically without the need for a man with a taper.

The effect is much dimmer than modern electric street lighting (although that's partly because of the height and spacing of the lamps), and as mentioned it's very yellow. Walking or driving at night when it's foggy is an interesting experience. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or come and pay a visit to Nottingham when it's dark. The Park estate (next to the Castle) is still gas lit, although the lamps seems to be a modern automated design that come on automatically without the need for a man with a taper.

The effect is much dimmer than modern electric street lighting (although that's partly because of the height and spacing of the lamps), and as mentioned it's very yellow. Walking or driving at night when it's foggy is an interesting experience. 

I had no trouble with it as a boythe footpath which ran between our house and the river was gaslit and prone to mist and fog off the river. By the time I could drive the only bits left Gas lit were some footpaths the lamp lighter still doing his rounds on a bike. Mind you the house lighting was much dimmer than we are used to today. The electric lighting tended to be dimmer too.

Don

• Like 2

Colonel Stephens used acetylene generators quite extensively for lighting both carriages and stations.  Even the South Eastern & Chatham experimented with acetylene lighting at Robertsbridge station, provided by the local firm, The Cottage Lighting Co. Ltd. (prop: Jesse Piper, who had patents granted in this field).

• Like 1

And, not far away, at Heathfield station, natural gas was extracted, held in a little reservoir, then bottled, and sent away for laboratory use. I've got a share certificate from the company that exploited the gas.

What I'm not sure is whether or not it was used to light the station - I have a feeling that it was too valuable for that, being of exceptional purity.

http://jgslegacy.lyellcollection.org/content/54/1-4/572.abstract

Kevin

Edit: well, according to these, from local history sites, it was used for lighting and power:

"The last remnant of Heathfield’s natural gas industry – an old stand pipe, can be seen among the trees, near the bridge in Ghyll Road, north-west from Sandy Cross on the B2203. The gas was discovered in 1895 when engineers were actually looking for water. At its height, Heathfield produced some 15 million cubic feet of natural gas a day, and provided the railway station (which sadly no longer exists) with lighting until the 1930’s. Ultimately the operation never proved to be commercially viable. A medallion was struck to commemorate the Coronation of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra – one side portrayed the Royal heads, and the other an inscription ‘Heathfield, Sussex, 1902. Natural gas first used for light and power’."

"Heathfield Station continued to be lit by local gas until 1930, when the then Ministry of Mines stepped in. Due to its purity the gas was compressed into cylinders and sent to laboratories researching ways of improving safety in the pits. By 1963 it was evident that the gas reservoir was rapidly dwindling and it was decided to seal off the shaft. The station was closed two years later."

Edited by Nearholmer

Would that be the Natural Gas Fields of England, Limited?  If so, its engineer rejoiced in the name of Mr Inverness Watts, according to press reports at the time.  Apparently at one time the gas was used for station lighting, pumping water for locomotives and for 200 houses in Heathfield itself (lighting and cooking).

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Strange recommendation coming up: readers of this thread would enjoy the Harry Potter studio tour.

We went today, and I'm no great HP fan, and didn't get a huge buzz from seeing a red Hall class loco, but the key point is that the whole thing is about model-making!

There are models in all scales from 1:1 downwards, and the quality is, naturally, superb. The high point is a c1:20 scale representation of Hogwarts, which is 8m tall, and employed 68 model makers, but there is a great deal more besides, and the whole inspiration, design and creation process is laid out superbly.

Herewith a couple of things that can easily be seen to relate to what Edwardian is up to. A roughly 00 scale model of a village, at the white card stage, and a street at roughly 0 scale, all card and foam board.

So, it's a model making exhibition, not a HP experience!

post-26817-0-23226000-1482010463_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-49597800-1482010475_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Strange recommendation coming up: readers of this thread would enjoy the Harry Potter studio tour.

We went today, and I'm no great HP fan, and didn't get a huge buzz from seeing a red Hall class loco, but the key point is that the whole thing is about model-making!

There are models in all scales from 1:1 downwards, and the quality is, naturally, superb. The high point is a c1:20 scale representation of Hogwarts, which is 8m tall, and employed 68 model makers, but there is a great deal more besides, and the whole inspiration, design and creation process is laid out superbly.

Herewith a couple of things that can easily be seen to relate to what Edwardian is up to. A roughly 00 scale model of a village, at the white card stage, and a street at roughly 0 scale, all card and foam board.

So, it's a model making exhibition, not a HP experience!

Brilliant stuff.  I do have a fascination for this type of model making.

I'd happily give up lawyering to do that for a living!

In the meantime, I have been happily sawing up Triangs (about a dozen by now).  At some point I'm going to have to stick all the pieces back together.

It's a bit Eric Morecombe at the moment; I've got all the right compartments, but not necessarily in the right order.

• Like 5

"I'd happily give up lawyering to do that for a living!"

I voiced a very similar thought/emotion, but we did get to wondering whether the process might suffer from too much division of labour in the commercial world, with "the art department" handling all the inspiration, research and design, and model-makers dealing only with the actual construction.

Good luck with the carriages!

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is ever in Henley.  I the River and Rowing museum there is a Toad Hall exhibition which takes you through the story.  The models are of the larger sizes but fascinating to see how it was done.  It came from a film or TV set.  We have often taken the grandchildren there, and may well be there next Friday.

I'd happily give up lawyering to do that for a living!

One of our neighbours is a recently retired professional model maker who has not only built models for architects and planning, but also of Trident submarines (with an armed marine standing outside the door! - He can't tell you where he built it as he's signed the Official Secrets Act), and Piper Alpha. One of his last jobs was making the models of iron age and Roman Forts etc. for the local museum.

Jim

Edited for typos

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I agree that the HP models are impressive, we did the tour in the summer, and for me the models in white were the best bits. Sadly something tells me that spending 100 hours on one item in that application might not be looked on well.

SWMBO was dead chuffed that we went on her birthday, so she got to open the doors into the hall. Me? I quite liked the wonky bridge thing. I think it would fit into CA quite well.....

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The village in white card looks like a snow scene. You can see some things such as the height of the chimneys have been exaggerated for effect. It would worry me that an enjoyable hobby could become a chore if it was work. The best option is early retirement an income with no work! Ideal as long as you are young and fit enough to enjoy it.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

Although I don't comment often I do follow you thread with great interest and I just wanted to pop-in and say Merry Christmas and keep up the inspirational modelling! One day I might be able to match the amazing quality of your buildings!

Gary

• Like 2

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has followed, rated and posted on this topic since it began in January.

It has been quite a journey for me, but with such excellent company, time and the miles have flown by.

My New Year's resolution is to manage some baseboards and track.  My inspiration is still very much there, and in a large measure that is due to you all.

Happy festive modelling and a very Merry Christmas one and all!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I would like to say thank you to everyone who has followed, rated and posted on this topic since it began in January.

It has been quite a journey for me, but with such excellent company, time and the miles have flown by.

My New Year's resolution is to manage some baseboards and track.  My inspiration is still very much there, and in a large measure that is due to you all.

Happy festive modelling and a very Merry Christmas one and all!

It has been a pleasure to follow this thread my only complaint is it keeps tempting me with a different layout possibly Something inspired by the Potteries Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway later the Shropshire and Montgomery Light Railway instead of Dolgelley

Don

• Like 4

Not that much modelling, so far, what with no time off save the public holidays and the festivities taking up what time remained, but I did manage to finish a long-unfinished cottage.  This continues Bailey Street and is the last sub-4mm scale building, but only just, at 98%.  Next to it is the first full-sized building, the red-brick cottage.  

Still need to fix that sink hole in the road!

I obtained some Stadden HO figures, and I thought it might be interesting to compare them with their 4mm Scale counterparts.

Staying with smaller figures, sometime ago I obtained some cheap, really cheap, 1/100 scale figures from China.  They are approximately 3mm : 1 foot scale and should be the right size for the back of the layout.  See the picture below of some of them in their raw state.

Turning again to the technique employed on Ravenscar Pier, I Edwardianised a few of them with masking tape and bits and bobs and they are seen in primer next to the Stadden HO figures, to give an idea of how much smaller they are.

post-25673-0-79436200-1483038137_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-63474900-1483038177_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-95451700-1483038307_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-64520000-1483038335_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-27285500-1483038355_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Painted the 1/87 (HO) and 1/100 scale figures for the rear of the village scene.

The idea is to have them a little more bleached than the full size figures nearer the front, and, indeed, for the 1/100 figures to be a little more so than the HO.  We shall see how they look in situ in due course.

post-25673-0-54136700-1483264045_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Painted the 1/87 (HO) and 1/100 scale figures for the rear of the village scene.

The idea is to have them a little more bleached than the full size figures nearer the front, and, indeed, for the 1/100 figures to be a little more so than the HO.  We shall see how they look in situ in due course.

They turned out well.  Very subtle.

Where are you going to put them?

Happy New Year to you all!

(may have forgotten to mention it earlier).

Among the factors that limited modelling time over the festive season, was the invasion of the work bench by an Imperial legion.  Son & Heir's response to the excellent Rogue One film has been a commission ...  

Stormtroopers, in Castle Aching!?!

post-25673-0-98635100-1483274471_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

With the varnish dry, I thought I'd let the Wee Folk move in.  I must say that, after a year of empty streets, it is cheering to see the beginnings of a modest population out and about.  Glad I paused to turn out these people.

Of course, with Chris N's inspirational example, I can do no less than seek to discover the names and particulars of the members of Castle Aching's fledgling populace. 

post-25673-0-18704600-1483279048_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-72944500-1483279072_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-31112400-1483279188_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-55757100-1483279210_thumb.jpg

• Like 15