• RMweb Gold

If anyone is ever in Henley.  I the River and Rowing museum there is a Toad Hall exhibition which takes you through the story.  The models are of the larger sizes but fascinating to see how it was done.  It came from a film or TV set.  We have often taken the grandchildren there, and may well be there next Friday.

There is even a steam loco in one diorama - as Toad tries to elude the police dressed in women's clothes.

post-14351-0-51157500-1483281645_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Castle Aching looks all the better for some populace.  You only need a few to set the place off nicely. I would expect to see a few labouring class ones about the town but not perhaps at the station.

Don

With the varnish dry, I thought I'd let the Wee Folk move in.  I must say that, after a year of empty streets, it is cheering to see the beginnings of a modest population out and about.  Glad I paused to turn out these people.

Of course, with Chris N's inspirational example, I can do no less than seek to discover the names and particulars of the members of Castle Aching's fledgling populace.

Good place to start :- http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/historic-names/

I like Primus, maybe his surname was Stowve?

• Like 3

The state of play - the road menders have begun work on filling the vast sink hole in Bailey Street - they just need to work out  were they left their cobbles - and the shop/cottage group down has its full plot marked out.

post-25673-0-79223700-1483462307_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Some history, I'm afraid.

Visitors to Castle Aching will surely have taken the opportunity to wet their whistles at the renowned old Inn The Dodo, so named in honour of the Erstwhile family of nearby Aching Hall, whose symbol the extinct bird is. 

The present Lord Erstwhile has also carried on the tradition, or possibly obsession, of his forebears of adorning Aching Park with various pyramids, but that's another story ... (and Kevin's fault, entirely)

Lord Erstwhile is also an early Railway Enthusiast, and is keen to build a short estate railway to link the Hall with the West Norfolk line at Castle Aching.  To this end, long suffering Lady Erstwhile indulged him with a belated Christmas present in the form of a Peckett locomotive, which, inevitably, is also named for the Erstwhile's heraldic beast, the Dodo.  

Eventually, I find, everything does make sense.

I am impressed by the weight of this diminutive locomotive, which is pictured with one of Mr Turner's wagons, which now looks rather large, despite being a rather small pre-Great War mineral type.  

post-25673-0-31711900-1483463294_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-32879600-1483463313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 16

Lady Erstwhile must indeed be very gracious.

Are we permitted to learn more about the private tramway?

Kevin

She would be, if she knew anything about it.

Inspired by Lord Willoughby's Edenham Railway, I thought that a short private standard gauge branch, not a tramway, to convey estate produce, timber, and incoming coal and, of course, pyramids, might be in order.

I believe you have already designed the station ...

• Like 2

I do like that Dodo. I think I might have to go on an expedition in search of one before they become extinct.

However, should the lady of the property assertain my intentions, I think it will be me in the doodoo just before I become as extinct as the preverbial myself.

Regards (soon to be no more) Dave

Edited by Shadow

Those Pecketts are the sort of thing that might tempt a man to change scales.

A few years ago I got a fantastic bargain, by bidding on a huge and varied job lot, and secured a brace of modern Bassett Lowke 0 scale ones (as below), one green, one red. They were seriously nice, but I didn't really have a purpose for them, and swapped the pair for one larger tender loco ......... then regretted my decision almost straight away!

If I had a grain of sense, I would have invented a private railway for them.

Kevin

post-26817-0-07317500-1483472571.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some history, I'm afraid.

Visitors to Castle Aching will surely have taken the opportunity to wet their whistles at the renowned old Inn The Dodo, so named in honour of the Erstwhile family of nearby Aching Hall, whose symbol the extinct bird is.

The present Lord Erstwhile has also carried on the tradition, or possibly obsession, of his forebears of adorning Aching Park with various pyramids, but that's another story ... (and Kevin's fault, entirely)

Lord Erstwhile is also an early Railway Enthusiast, and is keen to build a short estate railway to link the Hall with the West Norfolk line at Castle Aching. To this end, long suffering Lady Erstwhile indulged him with a belated Christmas present in the form of a Peckett locomotive, which, inevitably, is also named for the Erstwhile's heraldic beast, the Dodo.

Eventually, I find, everything does make sense.

I am impressed by the weight of this diminutive locomotive, which is pictured with one of Mr Turner's wagons, which now looks rather large, despite being a rather small pre-Great War mineral type.

Wonderful stuff Edwardian, I shall look forward to seeing more information on the estate railway! Dodo looks like a fine specimen, and eminently suited to an estate railway :-)

Cheers,

Neil

Returning to RMweb after some months away, it was a pleasure to see the progress being made in populating Castle Aching - and a reference to detailing the groundscape in 2017.

Lord Erstwhile looks to be thoroughly up-to-date in his thinking. Might I suggest that if he can't quite get to Bodmin General shop to fetch Dodo back to North(west) Norfolk, he should make known to the world the experiments carried out on his estate culminatin in the construction of the Patiala State Monorail in 1907.

dh

• Like 3

Is this a first a train @ Castle Aching ?  :jester:

Nick

Nick, I looked in vain for a 'rueful' button to rate your post, but you're right, we might be getting dangerously close to a train over the next few weeks!

Fingers crossed.

Returning to RMweb after some months away, it was a pleasure to see the progress being made in populating Castle Aching - and a reference to detailing the groundscape in 2017.

Lord Erstwhile looks to be thoroughly up-to-date in his thinking. Might I suggest that if he can't quite get to Bodmin General shop to fetch Dodo back to North(west) Norfolk, he should make known to the world the experiments carried out on his estate culminatin in the construction of the Patiala State Monorail in 1907.

dh

Welcome back, David!  Indeed you have been sorely missed.  You will see that, on the cardboard architecture front, it is your building that is up next!

As for monorail experiments .... for these I will defer to a better man than I!

• Like 5

This contains vast amounts of inspiration, if you prefer the ground-level, rather than Lartigue, system.

The lower picture looks like a fun way to move coprolite from the mines to a transfer siding at Castle Aching.

The upper picture is, presumably, of the Directors of the Castle Aching Coprolite Company's inspection saloon.

Stop ... what am I saying?!?

This way madness lies ...

Something based on the lower picture might be a solution to the problem of moving horses, as the legs could be pretty much hidden. The body and head movements seem to be less difficult to reproduce. A side on the horse side of the passenger version would do the same thing.

I musn't add anything else to my to-do list

I musn't add anything else to my to-do list

I musn't add anything else to m......

Oh hell, why not!

• Like 5

You chaps haven't seen what's inside the book; a cornucopia of curiosities, convenient for the conveyance of coprolites. Plans for a VB steam loco, for instance ......

I don't think I want to see what's inside. Well I do actually, but think it would be very inadvisable :).

• Like 2

There are solutions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXHe8wr5GGY and I have seen a five inch gauge one where the horse was the power uniti.

Don

Already discussed that one somewhere else, which is what led me to finding out how horses really move. Apparently they don't have four feet off the ground all the time :). And their backs and heads move too.