• RMweb Premium

That Break van has a certain charm. Do you need the top lamp irons (has the WNR got any double track with goods loops)? I particularly like the ducket shape.

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Your fencing is a 'plashed' hedge. I remembered having a few sections in whitemetal, when I painted wargaming figures. The principles are outlined here http://www.iwhistory.org.uk/RM/minorforts/plash.htm . Looking to see whether I could find any r-t-r examples the wargaming fraternity (if you can have a fraternity in wargaming) consensus seemed to be for making it from stranded wire, with thicker wire uprights. If I had found r-t-r it would almost certainly have been to the wrong scale anyway.

There are oodles of other seeds in the cupboard too, so I should be able to offer 7mm/ft and 10mm/ft too.

So, looks like he's got nothing suitable for 2mm scale, so that will save me being ripped off!

Jim :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The debate on manure wagons and their cargo is an interesting one.

No doubt in 1900, the major component would have been horse manure.

In 1918 however?

Many horses had been commandeered and killed in the conflict. Mechanised transport had appeared in the shape of lorries, buses and also electric trams - a necessity probably.

By 1922 I think the balance in big cities would have moved towards human rather than animal waste.

I once worked closely with one of the Biggleswade team who were interested not only on producing a copy/replica/representation/realisation (chose your own word) but also in understanding what was there and why it was there. The relatively large yard owed in part its existence to the traffic of night soil from London. I did not do the research and cannot date the observation, but the use of the words night soil rather than manure is interesting.

One thing to remember - the normal Sewage Works digester beds are built up of layers of stone, just like a railway track ballast-bed. The construction makes an ideal home for the bugs that go "Oh yummy" when they receive the sewage and digest the nasties to leave a good clean soil / compost and clean water outfall.

Consequently the track ballast bed is a very good and under-used "Digester bed", which eats the out-fall from track discharge toilets / oil residues from vehicle bearings / conductor rail de-icing fluid / other nasties - leaving clean water to drain through into the soil and water-courses.

Of course the top of the track ballast-bed and the underside of vehicles using track discharge toilets is still hazardous to track and train maintainers. One of the benefits of working for LU rather than the main-line was not having to worry about vehicle toilet systems.

This info came from a friend who used to ork for Thames Water (?) before joining LU about 20+ years ago.

Regards

Chris H

A neighbour of mine used to be an engineer with Thames Water and swears that the canteen wall bore a notice that said "All the water used in this canteen has been passed by the Management"...

"....So, looks like he's got nothing suitable for 2mm scale, ........."

Having checked, the 'organic mixed spice' looks as if it might be suitable, but, unfortunately, Waitrose seem already to have packed that in very small, over-priced, sachets, so I'm not sure it's worth my while subdividing it further.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

Your fencing is a 'plashed' hedge. I remembered having a few sections in whitemetal, when I painted wargaming figures. The principles are outlined here http://www.iwhistory.org.uk/RM/minorforts/plash.htm . Looking to see whether I could find any r-t-r examples the wargaming fraternity (if you can have a fraternity in wargaming) consensus seemed to be for making it from stranded wire, with thicker wire uprights. If I had found r-t-r it would almost certainly have been to the wrong scale anyway.

We would have just called that laying a hedge. I have tried doing it but it is not easy. The view of an overgrown hedge is rather tame this is an overgrown hedge

post-8525-0-13811800-1387708854_thumb.jpg

There are some bits of laid hedge that are just as overgrown but I haven't a photo to hand.

Having installed Septic tanks I find the best result is to lay the dispersion field as channels of gravel or rubble under the veg plot for a fully automated watering system. The only downside is the automatic system only works when the house is occupied. But it is a good system when a flush can also water the veg.

I quite agree with your comments about the figures some more workaday figures would be good. 

Nice to see you modelling

Don
  • Like 3

In 1918 however?

Many horses had been commandeered and killed in the conflict. Mechanised transport had appeared in the shape of lorries, buses and also electric trams - a necessity probably..

True at least twice before:

My avatar, Brunton's steam horse, had been built by the Butterley Company in 1813 (along with a crop of other pioneer locomotives around the country) during the Napoleonic Wars when horses were in short supply and expensive.

In a celebration marking Wellington's victory at Waterloo the steam horse at Shilbottle colliery Sunderland exploded killing its driver and 12 bystanders - perhaps the first rail disaster. It is said that goaded on by the crowd, the galloping machine had been worked up to 30mph!

Earlier, in the French Wars culminating in Marlborough's victory at Blenheim, Newcomen's atmospheric steam pumps replaced the horse 'Gin gangs' in their characteristic circular sheds.

dh

Edited by runs as required

• RMweb Gold

In 1918 however?

Many horses had been commandeered and killed in the conflict. Mechanised transport had appeared in the shape of lorries, buses and also electric trams - a necessity probably.

By 1922 I think the balance in big cities would have moved towards human rather than animal waste.

I once worked closely with one of the Biggleswade team who were interested not only on producing a copy/replica/representation/realisation (chose your own word) but also in understanding what was there and why it was there. The relatively large yard owed in part its existence to the traffic of night soil from London. I did not do the research and cannot date the observation, but the use of the words night soil rather than manure is interesting.

Looking at photos of goods yards, in Bristol and other large cities, in the inter-war period I was surprised how many horse-drawn wagons and vans were still in use, despite the arrival of motor vehicles. By 1922 most big cities had their sewage systems well developed, I would have thought.

• RMweb Premium

My father occasionally laid a hedge on our farm and I recollect seeing it a lot along canals. I have often wondered if parts of a loofah suitably dissected might be suitable as a basis for this, at least in the smaller scales. Most people make the mistake of modelling hedges at the same level as the field they surround. If they are of any age at all, then they will be raised relative to the cultivated ground and in some parts of the country, massively so.

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a lovely morning at our son's House chapel service.  It is some years since I have belted out "I vow to thee my country ..." and "Onward Christian Soldiers ..." with gusto, loudly and flat, as I do.

This afternoon, in between entertaining the dogs, I managed some modelling whilst the rest of the family went to play with horses (they have their uses, horses).

So I have added moulding to the ends of the WNR 4-wheel Third.  I built another Airfix/Dapol Brake Van chassis and brought a First-Second Composite up to the same stage.

Pondering the bodies of the Airfix/Dapol Brake Van kit, I thought I would use them to knock up a little "Goods Break" for the WNR. I hope it will pass muster as a suitable vehicle for the WNR.  I have ordered some Comet 'W' Irons for this and some other planned wagons.

This does so take me back to the 1960s - I built three 4 wheeled GWR coaches with very basic card bodies on Airfix brake van chassis in a basement room at my boarding school. At home the place was littered with Triang clerestory bodies in various configurations. This little van was made of left-overs, but I had found a prototype in an Atthill photo, albeit at a distance and an acute angle.

post-14351-0-19907800-1485131032_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

That Break van has a certain charm. Do you need the top lamp irons (has the WNR got any double track with goods loops)? I particularly like the ducket shape.

Andy G

This you will need to explain to the likes of I

Waitrose seem already to have packed that in very small, over-priced, sachets

Surely not

This does so take me back to the 1960s - I built three 4 wheeled GWR coaches with very basic card bodies on Airfix brake van chassis in a basement room at my boarding school. At home the place was littered with Triang clerestory bodies in various configurations. This little van was made of left-overs, but I had found a prototype in an Atthill photo, albeit at a distance and an acute angle.

attachicon.gifS&DJR 4-wheeled passengers' luggage van drwg & model PJS 6 5 1972.jpg

A true modeller.  Wonderful stuff.  I'd be so proud if I'd built that as a boy, and I'd certainly still run it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The top lamp irons on brake vans are there to hang side lamps on, which indicate to drivers behind that the van (and therefore the train) is on a loop or main line. On a single line railway you wouldn't need them....

Andy G

The top lamp irons on brake vans are there to hang side lamps on, which indicate to drivers behind that the van (and therefore the train) is on a loop or main line. On a single line railway you wouldn't need them....

Andy G

Aha.

I was planning a passing loop, would that make a difference?

• RMweb Gold

My father occasionally laid a hedge on our farm and I recollect seeing it a lot along canals. I have often wondered if parts of a loofah suitably dissected might be suitable as a basis for this, at least in the smaller scales. Most people make the mistake of modelling hedges at the same level as the field they surround. If they are of any age at all, then they will be raised relative to the cultivated ground and in some parts of the country, massively so.

Tim

In the west country Hedges were often planted atop a stone and earth bank.We have such a hedge on two sides of our property. In Shropshire a Hedge alongside a ditch was common.

Don

Nope.

Ag

But, how universal was this practice, or, rather, when did it become so?

E.g. see Wisbech & Upwell Passenger Brake Van.  In the Tramway section of RMWeb there has been discussion of the placing of lamp brackets.

post-25673-0-20236900-1485159435.jpg

• RMweb Premium

But don't forget stock built by the GE would be expected to be able to travel over all the GE system, and of course differing companies have different rules for headlight and tail lights, and their positioning.

For your railway a single tail lamp (or tail board, or flag, or newspaper, or tree*) would be acceptable.

Andy G

* I have first hand accounts of newspapers and bits of bush and bog rolls** being used in BR days when there was a shortage of tail lamps.

** I didn't mention above as I presume they would be  a bit before your timescale.

• Like 2

But don't forget stock built by the GE would be expected to be able to travel over all the GE system, and of course differing companies have different rules for headlight and tail lights, and their positioning.

For your railway a single tail lamp (or tail board, or flag, or newspaper, or tree*) would be acceptable.

Andy G

* I have first hand accounts of newspapers and bits of bush and bog rolls** being used in BR days when there was a shortage of tail lamps.

** I didn't mention above as I presume they would be  a bit before your timescale.

Fair enough, and I am certainly not wedded to the side brackets.

W&U No.16 is an interesting example, however, because it was a dedicated vehicle for the line, so, presumably, would not have run over the rest of the GE system?

Anyway, I imagine the thing to do is remove them and to be consistent in having a singe central bracket on all Goods and Passenger Brakes, as, you say, this would be the appropriate choice.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

there is only one engine a gentleman should consider

kings_lynn.jpg

https://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/locomotives/gazelle

I have the good fortune to lock her safely up a few days a year

Nick

Volunteer attendent  Colonel Stephens Museum

Far too modern - I would have chosen this elegant conveyance - had I been around in Victorian times. post-14351-0-10080000-1485170438_thumb.jpg

Scanned from The Wonder Book of Railways - an edition of WW1 vintage. Aren't the splashers great.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

The requirement for side lamps on passenger trains was not abolished until the inter-war years.  So any pre-Group brakevan would have suitable lamp irons for side lamps or built in side lamps.

Whether a light railway would bother with such things is - obviously - a totally different matter.

It seems to have been not at all unusual to have offset (from the centreline) brackets for the tail lamp - a situation which has lasted to this day on passenger stock of course (although the lams are now built in rather than separate ones hung on brackets).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Radio Norfolk presenter has just mentioned a visit by HM the Queen and family to Castle Rising church,and having had a quick look at the net this has been done many times before.

I would suggest therefore, that the Castle Aching line requires a Royal carriage for Queen Victoria / Edward VII.

• Like 3

The Radio Norfolk presenter has just mentioned a visit by HM the Queen and family to Castle Rising church,and having had a quick look at the net this has been done many times before.

I would suggest therefore, that the Castle Aching line requires a Royal carriage for Queen Victoria / Edward VII.

A WN Royal carriage is tempting, but, you know, the thought had occurred that the whole GER Royal Train (behind a Royal Claud by 1905, I should think), could come off the Lynn - Hunstanton line at Wolfringham Junction and continue to Castle Aching.  Presumably to be met at the station by a Troop of Yeomanry cavalry?

The only train of bogie stock on the line, I should think, and a job extracting the Claud, which would be far too big for the WNR's little turntable and which would have to be released from the front of the train by a WN locomotive backing out of the platform road with the Royal Train and shunting it onto the loop.  The empty Royal Train is then taken back  whence it came by the Claud, tender first.  This is fine, because the empty Royal stock had to be worked back thus from Sandringham, as there was no turntable at Wolferton. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think I've started something Here.. I think you'll need a suitable royal Horse(s) and carriage, waiting at the station... or carried in on a railway wagon with horse box.. attached to the train

Edited by TheQ