• RMweb Gold

Grey suits your coaches, it adds a uniformity to them so you see what they will eventually look like.  I have half a mind to cut up clerestories to make GWR coaches but need to find the right prototypes to make, not that I do not have enough things to do.

It was suggested on my thread that I use staples to hang the footboards off, drilled into the base of the coach, as they will add strength and stop them getting knocked off.  I will definitely do this, square ones packed with a square of plasticard as the ones I have on my coaches at present are a bit fragile.  I am thinking of retro fitting staples, at least at the bottom but that may wait until I do them on the next ones.

I do like your soldiers, action frozen but not looking silly and the painting is very good, I especially like your drummer.

• RMweb Premium

Some progress on the 4-wheeled rake.

I was pretty bored with the motley appearance of the donor bodies, which was confusing when trying to gauge the finish. I decided that the best way to judge the sanding and filling that remained to be done would be to spray with primer.  As can be  seen, the primer reveals the many imperfections very clearly.

At the same time I added rudimentary brakes and gas cylinders and faded the pipes to the non-step ends.  The Hornby/Bachmann wheels now have the MJT Mansell inserts.

I suspect I should fit foot-boards level with the axle boxes.

That composite does have a world-weary third-hand shabbiness! It could almost stay in grey... though I suspect dull claret would be more the thing for well-past-their-prime carriages sold off to an impoverished minor line. I see you've arc-roof-ified the ends, disguising some of the Great Western-ishness.  

Was it on this thread we were discussing continuous brakes on cattle wagons, re troop trains? According to LNWR Wagons, 'by 1898' all new LNW cattle wagons were to be fitted with vacuum pipes (but not brakes) - for once more advanced than the Midland....

• Like 2

It was suggested on my thread that I use staples to hang the footboards off, drilled into the base of the coach, as they will add strength and stop them getting knocked off.  I will definitely do this, square ones packed with a square of plasticard as the ones I have on my coaches at present are a bit fragile.  I am thinking of retro fitting staples, at least at the bottom but that may wait until I do them on the next ones.

As I need a longer drop, I may need larger staples, but the steps on my tramway coach were done with standard size staples (see below).  Getting them to stay in position long enough for the superglue to take was a pain, so I might build little plastic card pockets for them on the 4-wheelers.

That composite does have a world-weary third-hand shabbiness! It could almost stay in grey... though I suspect dull claret would be more the thing for well-past-their-prime carriages sold off to an impoverished minor line. I see you've arc-roof-ified the ends, disguising some of the Great Western-ishness.  

Was it on this thread we were discussing continuous brakes on cattle wagons, re troop trains? According to LNWR Wagons, 'by 1898' all new LNW cattle wagons were to be fitted with vacuum pipes (but not brakes) - for once more advanced than the Midland....

That is precisely the problem.  Think 'small independent' and think '4-wheel coach' and naturally one thinks 'age and decrepitude'.

If I were going for that look, a monochrome livery and heavy weathering might hide a multitude of sins.  My problem is that these coaches are neither particularly old nor remotely decrepit. 

These are relatively modern coaches judging from the panel style, steel underframes and gas lighting from new.  I would suggest that they were likely built at some point between the late 1880s to the mid 1890s, so, by 1905 they might be circa 15 years old. 

This means that they need to be neat, crisp and only lightly weathered - if I can manage it - in the livery depicted below. 

That leaves nowhere to hide for my botched panelling.

Yes, although the Triang bodies notoriously fail to match any GW diagram, the style is very GW.  The panelling, though a good match for GW, is fairly generic.  It is interesting, though, to see the WN adopting GW-style grab handles, rather than the GE type!  You are correct to say that moving away from the GW style was a reason for choosing the arc-roof.  It is also a less modern look than the semi-elliptical profile, and I felt it suited the WNR.  Another, simple, way to use GW style panelling without suggesting that company is simply to paint the waist panels in the same colour as the upper panels.  On chocolate and cream coaches, the GW painted the waist panels chocolate. 

post-25673-0-99774800-1487058433_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-44897900-1487058576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 11

...........  I have half a mind to cut up clerestories to make GWR coaches but need to find the right prototypes to make, not that I do not have enough things to do.

Have you seen http://www.gwr.org.uk/  ?  Originated by Mikkel of this parish, There are raft of suggestions for cut-and-shut attacks on the Triang clerestories.

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Premium

That is precisely the problem.  Think 'small independent' and think '4-wheel coach' and naturally one thinks 'age and decrepitude'.

If I were going for that look, a monochrome livery and heavy weathering might hide a multitude of sins.  My problem is that these coaches are neither particularly old nor remotely decrepit. 

These are relatively modern coaches judging from the panel style, steel underframes and gas lighting from new.  I would suggest that they were likely built at some point between the late 1880s to the mid 1890s, so, by 1905 they might be circa 15 years old. 

This means that they need to be neat, crisp and only lightly weathered - if I can manage it - in the livery depicted below. 

That leaves nowhere to hide for my botched panelling.

Yes, although the Triang bodies notoriously fail to match any GW diagram, the style is very GW.  The panelling, though a good match for GW, is fairly generic.  It is interesting, though, to see the WN adopting GW-style grab handles, rather than the GE type!  You are correct to say that moving away from the GW style was a reason for choosing the arc-roof.  It is also a less modern look than the semi-elliptical profile, and I felt it suited the WNR.  Another, simple, way to use GW style panelling without suggesting that company is simply to paint the waist panels in the same colour as the upper panels.  On chocolate and cream coaches, the GW painted the waist panels chocolate. 

I realised I had this picture in mind - ex Midland coaches of c. 1880 sold to the Shopshire & Montgomeryshire when about 30 years old and probably photographed some years later. Is it supposed that the WNR coaches were bought new? For the opening of the line? (i.e. before financial reality hit?) I'm sure you've given us the dates some way back...

I agree that painting the waist panels in the upper body colour goes a long way to distracting attention from the GW origin of the Ratio sides! And I do like the green and cream livery.

I confess to a loss of motivation.  I trust it will be temporary. Apropos the wargaming diversion, the Memsahib, who does not really approve of trains, made a comment about wargaming not being as bad, in her view, as railway modelling.  It was not meant to be a comment that was to be taken particularly seriously, but it buried itself at the back of my mind and worried at me.  As a result, I found that my railway modelling pleasures turned to ashes in my mouth.

This weekend, I returned to modelling, but lacked the heart to pick up my bodged coaches and, found that the figures posted by Webbcompound and Phil Sutters, and the discovery of one of my old Napoleopnic units awoke an ancient enthusiasm. 

So, apologies to you, and to the Directors of the West Norfolk, but I have spent the weekend feverishly painting 1/72nd figures to represent the Spanish Ordenes Militares infantry regiment c.1808.   

Oh dear.

So, dragging my mind back from the Peninsular, the West Norfolk has always been moderately prosperous. It continued to buy stock new throughout the Victorian and Edwardian period, but was grateful to supplement this with second-hand purchases or with hand-me-downs from the Great Eastern.

So far, I have identified its coaching stock history as follows:

- Original late 1850s stock, largely by Wright. Now withdrawn

- 1870s stock - Metropolitan Carriage & Wagon - largely replaces the 1850s stock. Oil lit 4-wheeled stock. A 4-coach set should still exist in 1905 used as the CA branch set.

- Late 1880s - early 1890s - more modern 4-wheeled gas-lit stock introduced and in general service through the system. 

- 1890s similar 6-wheeled stock for the premier services

- Numerous second-hand acquisitions.  For instance, some late 1860s GE 4-wheelers, sold to the WN c. 1900, and, thanks to Andy G's research on the coaching history of the WNR, we now know that some Jones coaches were purchased from the Highland Railway. 

- Assorted tramway coaches for the Bishop's Lynn line.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear! I suppose I should apologize for the rekindling of your military tendencies, but it was your grand plans for royal visits and the attendant military pomp that started that aberration. As someone with more military metal (as in white-metal figures - not heavy weapons) in the garage than railway stock, I suppose at sometime I shall have to deal with that side too.

In the meantime my Somerset & Dorset riverside static scene develops. I may be prepared to take some photos soon and share progress so far. The objective is to have somewhere to park my 50-year-old stock in an appropriate context, without it looking shabby, compared with today's highly detailed r-t-r products. So far I have resisted the temptation of the 7F, 2P, 4F,and 3F - but the 1P might be too much to resist.

Well, the thread that I pointed to above may be highly relevant.

If the worst comes to the worst, you could be the very first person to replicate in model form a situation not uncommon in Edwardian England: a largely agricultural district, dotted with small towns and villages, which was the subject of innumerable proposals for the construction of railways, none of which came to fruition. Then, everyone got distracted by the Great War, after which it was too late.

K

Oh dear! I suppose I should apologize for the rekindling of your military tendencies, but it was your grand plans for royal visits and the attendant military pomp that started that aberration. As someone with more military metal (as in white-metal figures - not heavy weapons) in the garage than railway stock, I suppose at sometime I shall have to deal with that side too.

In the meantime my Somerset & Dorset riverside static scene develops. I may be prepared to take some photos soon and share progress so far. The objective is to have somewhere to park my 50-year-old stock in an appropriate context, without it looking shabby, compared with today's highly detailed r-t-r products. So far I have resisted the temptation of the 7F, 2P, 4F,and 3F - but the 1P might be too much to resist.

Phil, not your fault.  Clearly, as you say, delving into Yeomanry history left me in a weakened state, unable to resist the call of Napoleonics when it came.  I should repaint the British battalion pictured, but saw some rather nice Spanish infantry figures in the HaT industrie range.

Well, the thread that I pointed to above may be highly relevant.

If the worst comes to the worst, you could be the very first person to replicate in model form a situation not uncommon in Edwardian England: a largely agricultural district, dotted with small towns and villages, which was the subject of innumerable proposals for the construction of railways, none of which came to fruition. Then, everyone got distracted by the Great War, after which it was too late.

K

There is too much invested in CA for me to abandon the project.  I might never extend round the room to Achingham (who knows?), but must build the terminus and a cassette fiddle-yard.

I have taken too much on, so must rein it in. 

At present there are 4 WNR locos planned, none of which is at all advanced, and a minimum of 1 rake of 4 4-wheelers, and a rake of 5 6-wheelers.  Approx. 20 wagons and 2 goods breaks round things off.

That is really too much for me to do.  I need to finish the village, build the castle and church, and, of course, a passenger station, goods and engine facilities.  Having a damp-proofed room, baseboards and track still seems like a distant fantasy, over 12-months on, so, every so often, I feel over-faced.    

It happens.

I'm fortunate enough now to have the layout-space I've coveted since age seven, and a half-finished layout in it, and even with those things in place, distraction, demotivation, and other things beginning with d, frequently impede progress. How the "stick to one thing, and see it through to a conclusion" merchants do it, I shall never know.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder all over the place. I don't have room for a layout (or to store all the stock I'm building!), and struggle a lot with motivation. I model on late turn shifts in work, and have done since I started 8.5 years ago, with early turns on the weekends as a bonus. I don't model at home, as its too much faff. Therefore some things take years to get done (the MR Diner for Ben Alders Far North Line took 18months off and on to get to running stage). I distract myself at home, inbetween the household chores with my Minors, and in a shed I have three strowger telephone exchanges that I haven't powered up for almost ten years, which I really want to get back to, but I need to empty the space around them of junk first.....

I flit around like a butterfly, but loose interest when I hit a 'wall' and move to something else. Full sized railway signals seems to be a passing distraction at the minute, but getting parts is difficult for them, so that's very stop and start too, although this year I want that finished (and take the rath of the Mrs on the chin for the garden intrusions).

One day it will all be done, that day when I retire!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure the spark will soon come back. It all takes time, and having children of school age all factors in with the need to earn a crust. You've got the core of a good village, some coaches shaping nicely, so why shouldn't you go on manoeuvres if the fancy takes you? Don't fight it!post-26540-0-37839500-1487602439_thumb.jpg

This, by the way, is an enactment entitled "The relief of Aching by the Birlstone Highly Irregulars"

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Form a square Sir!  That will to te advance of any Napoleonic Cavalry.  After Sunday lunch challenge ur lad to a 'small'  skirmish and tell Memsahib it will all be over by Christmas tea time,  The next week when you sit down to Sunday lunch in front of the fire with the plates on your laps, ("Yes mum, I know I look beaten but I have this great ruse that means I will definitely win the go after next, so please do not tidy it away), there will be much encouragement for you to return to railway modelling.

A minor point of military detail, if I may: in "The Relief of Aching" (try a swift rub-down with Elliman's Embrocation), why has the chap in dark uniform, who has fallen on his back, got three arms?

And, to quote a well known Norfolk folk song: "I was there when Lady Smith was relieved; when they brought her a drink a great sigh she did heave; the pints of beer came rolling in; and General Gordon he ordered a gin."

K

Edited by Nearholmer

A minor point of military detail, if I may: in "The Relief of Aching" (try a swift rub-down with Elliman's Embrocation), why has the chap in dark uniform, who has fallen on his back, got three arms?

K

Obvious, He's one of the Mutated Ninja Cavalry!

• Like 2

And, to quote a well known Norfolk folk song: "I was there when Lady Smith was relieved."

K

Not sure but I guess it could be handy to have three arms in the army.

Also, the chap in the middle looks like he's got Paddington Bear on his shoulder! :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the last three post gave me a good laugh.

I think in part it the is inspiration that makes a difference. If say you lived along the line to little snoring and would wander down to the station where you were taken under the staff's wing and allowed into the box road on the engine etc. and have been left with a lifetimes ambition to replicate the line you loved no distraction can compete with that inspiration.

If on the other hand you are one of life's grasshoppers fliting from this and that interest. Possibly as a boy were moved about different homes the inspiration is more widespread and you are forever in danger from distractions.

I am fairly sure Edwardian never took part in any Napoleonic campaigns so I do not know the depth of his inspiration just as I cannot fully explain my desire to model Edwardian GWR and Cambrian. I suppose in my case growing up close to the GWR 4 track main line at Reading it was never going to be possible to model that even in 2mm. I was rather taken with Devizes but only saw it when visiting my Grandparents for a few years before the three Bs drew my interests away from modelling.

However the GWR and Cambrian in 0 gauge  also has to compete with 2mm finescale and 16mm live steam in the garden ( So far I have fully resisted any thoughts of 5inch gauge). It has also been plagued by our frequent changes of abode all of which have involved major DIY. In fact the only time we seemed content in our abode was when the huge garden and the old cottage consumed large amounts of our time. In fact our latest move is to a similar sort of place.

As for being able to do more in retirement (pause for hollow laugh) you may be lucky but most retirees soon wonder how on earth they found the time to go to work. The hobby stills seems to come behind so much else in the demands for time.

All of which is a way of saying that's life if the muse is with the figures so be it. But keep the village (which is a real treat) and when the wind changes go back to it. The railway doesn't need all of it to start with one loco a couple of coaches and a few wagons will make a real difference once a bit of track is laid down. In garden railway circles there is a saying plant a bit of track in the garden and watch it grow. I think once you get a bit of track on Aching that will grow too.

Don

• Like 5

The modelling mojo can change or slow down, mine often at this time of year though I only model railways. Take a break and come back refreshed. My advice, as a lone modeller is to get some trains running as this always lifts my spirits, maybe simplify your aspirations.The village looks excellent and I'm sure can be fitted in somewhere at some point.

I haven't run trains for months as the garage was too cold until this weekend. Two successful running sessions and my enthusiasm is returning.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As far as I am aware, losing one's mojo for a while is not regarded as a crime in the world of model railways. In fat I think it happens to all of us. It certainly does to me. And as for time scale. Sarn was meant to be a quicky but it will be a surprise if it is finished within four years. Then there is Nantcwmdu which I have been planning for a decade. The unfinished Rhymney carriages were started 15 years ago at least.

So take the long view. Do what you enjoy when you enjoy it. I love your village (who wouldn't). Adding a basic railway would not really take long, once you have the substructure in place. But there is no hurry. No-one is paying you to complete it by a certain date. 

And the longer you take, the longer it gives us to divert you into very interesting but not really relevant sidelines (for which many thanks, even if most are quite irrelevant to my modelling).

Jonathan

• Like 3

The modelling mojo can change or slow down, mine often at this time of year though I only model railways. Take a break and come back refreshed. My advice, as a lone modeller is to get some trains running as this always lifts my spirits, maybe simplify your aspirations.The village looks excellent and I'm sure can be fitted in somewhere at some point.

I haven't run trains for months as the garage was too cold until this weekend. Two successful running sessions and my enthusiasm is returning.

Upbech is only a relatively small layout around 9 feet long but is already in its ninth year of construction. Work on your layout when you feel like it and take a break as well. After all this is just a hobby and it is up to you.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that what looks like an arm across his chest is in fact a rolled-up blanket or waterproof cape. It was a fairly common way of carrying them, although some armies used the method more than others. Here are some Prussians from the Napoleonic period. As well as being an easy way to carry the blanket, the tightly rolled material added a bit of protection from cavalry sabre slashes. 

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/img/Prussian_schutzen_jagers.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters