• RMweb Premium

P.s. Have you ever stuck one of the old bangers made from guncotton in the hole for the wire at the top of a concrete fencing post? The reinforcing rods go like a peeled banana. Wonder why they don't make proper bangers any more?

I think you just answered your own question.

• RMweb Premium

Both days, 11 until 4..

The House will be open but for this one weekend only visitors can choose to see the exhibition without visiting the house.

|I got all excited there was something  to go to :no: , then I discovered your Ormesby TS3 0SR, is 250 miles from the Ormesby NR29 3PZ Near me... :drag:

The NT website somehow obscures the actual location ......

I really like modelnrailway events in interesting venues; the Bassett-Lowke society sometimes gets to run layouts at 78 Derngate, WJBL's first house in Northampton, and it is all very civilised.

This has made me wonder whether the NT might be persuaded to host something near where I live - there are a few houses that look suitable, but then, all houses look suitable for model railways to me!

The article in RM that points out that Capability Brown used (created?) many landscaping tricks that ought to interest railway modellers makes me wonder if one could get away with creating s "flash-mob garden railway" at Stowe, by having hundreds of people turn up, each carrying a 4ft length of LGB track .......

K

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I remember at a training centre one of the in mates rolled some silver paper round a pencil which was then removed to leave a tube one end was twisted up and the tube was packed with the crushed heads of swan vesta matches before a suitable sized ball bearing was pushed in. Lighting a match under the end cause the crushed match heads to ignite and the ball bearing went through the door of the room.

Swan vesta can be dangerous. My father had a habit of turning his box over and over tapping it on the arm of his chair. It quite surprised him when it burst into flames in his hand. For real stupidity filling a small glass jar with gunpowder and a fuse through the lid takes some beating. Fortunately the boy who tried this was still running away when it went off and the bits of glass stuck into his coat. It he had turned to see his handiwork it could have been very nasty.

Don 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We did a similar thing once with a screw top glass jar, but without gunpowder. Half full of water, and a few spoonfuls of calcium carbide in, then screw down firmly, and retire. Long ago, carbide was readily available, as when mixed with water, it produces acetylene gas for lamps, if you see where this is going. Trouble is, we placed it on top of my mates grandmas garden wall, and old mrs Pearce had her washing out next door. Class for putative hooligans over for tonight.

• Like 3

Hopefully, they have bots to read it all for them, and pick out the interesting bits, either that, or the mods have been visited by a bloke in a trench coat, with the collar turned up, and been told that it's their patriotic duty to report anything "of potential interest" ........ which is why Andy Y keeps sending them photos of previously unknown Class 47 livery variations,

• Like 1

If I were you, I would start addressing all future emails "Dear GCHQ (and intended recipient) ..."

Honestly, the dark secrets of the respected members of RMWeb ...

Oh Happy Day! Negotiations concluded successfully this morning, so I should be at Ormesby by lunchtime tomorrow with one or both Offspring. I am very much looking forward to it (though would it be churlish to express the hope that a few more trains get an outing on Corfe Castle; some of the other "goodies" glimpsed from afar in the fiddleyard must, surely, work?!?). I know that that sits ill in the mouth of someone who should be volunteering, but family demands and a single car have so far held me back.

Of course, everyone should visit the NE of England, but you can certainly add Ormesby Hall to Locomotion, Head of Steam, Beamish and any non-railway related reasons you might have for such a trip!

PS, the idea of a "flash-mob garden railway" had me chortling into my coffee yesterday. A splendid thought!

post-25673-0-24184600-1489823527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Just what have you got planned for tomorrow!

Don

I'd best shut up before James hits me with a writ (Habeas mea threadum vandalicus, Eliz. II. Cap. 99, para 139, subsection 11(b), sort of thing)

Enjoy Ormesby, me, I'm off to Hardwicke tomorrow. (Another chance to confuse stately home places with model show venues)

I like that picture, you've made great strides wth CA, where's the militia?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope that GCHQ & MI5 don't do anything as low tech as read these postings. All this talk of bombs and projectiles.

Just dont mention the Koran..... Oh dammit I just have :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Don

• RMweb Gold

Ormesby Hall does look good. Now that running has resumed the sound of steam engines is a frequent occurrence here. I could be tempted to volunteer but it does eat up time and I have a lot to do before I can do any modelling let alone go and play with a big railway. My neighbour does volunteer on the WSR but I have yet to see anything run on the bit of 5inch gauge track in his garden (nor much gardening activity) I doubt there is time for both.

Don

Ormesby Hall does look good. Now that running has resumed the sound of steam engines is a frequent occurrence here. I could be tempted to volunteer but it does eat up time and I have a lot to do before I can do any modelling let alone go and play with a big railway. My neighbour does volunteer on the WSR but I have yet to see anything run on the bit of 5inch gauge track in his garden (nor much gardening activity) I doubt there is time for both.

Don

I moved to West Somerset partly with the intention of volunteering on the WSR, but ended up on the Lynton & Barnstaple instead! Still don't know why I moved away, when my local dog friendly beach had steam trains running along the edge of it!

• Like 2

You should all feel free to carry on in the pyrotechnic vein, but bear in mind that, if any of you announce the building of a gunpowder van, I shall be obliged to assume that you mean that quite literally and intend to use it to transport explosives, and the proper authorities will be informed!!!

Not sure I have an excuse for one on CA.  If I find one, it will run empty!

post-25673-0-29323600-1489829914.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully, they have bots to read it all for them, and pick out the interesting bits, either that, or the mods have been visited by a bloke in a trench coat, with the collar turned up, and been told that it's their patriotic duty to report anything "of potential interest" ........ which is why Andy Y keeps sending them photos of previously unknown Class 47 livery variations,

I would be tempted to send them photos of odd shaped metal contraptions, with a design following German lines, powered by diesel engines, masquerading as Warships - that should confuse them, especially when seen in the Plymouth area.

• Like 2

I believe even as we type, the nation's top cryptographers have broken off from trying to interpret Donald Trump's latest phone call to work on diciphering the sophisticated code used on rmweb. They understand A10 is an unsuccessful development of the common A1 type explosive with the A2/2 equally a splinter group of the p2 faction, best known for their prewar work in liberating Scotland from the English though they're yet to quite place whether the sinister sounding "Thompson" is a figure of hate or a misunderstood genius.

• RMweb Gold

You should all feel free to carry on in the pyrotechnic vein, but bear in mind that, if any of you announce the building of a gunpowder van, I shall be obliged to assume that you mean that quite literally and intend to use it to transport explosives, and the proper authorities will be informed!!!

Not sure I have an excuse for one on CA.  If I find one, it will run empty!

A need perhaps to check the Regulations regarding the conveyance of ammunition, militia and yeomanry for the use of.  Did it have to be conveyed in gunpowder vans or were ordinary vans acceptable?

My suspicion is that if it was anything like later years and the considerable quantities we received for the use of the School of Infantry (and their artillery playmates) at one of my former places of employment then ordinary vans would have been used.  Only problem was that because of worries about gentlemen from across a nearby sea we had been banned from holding such loaded wagons overnight so therefore considerable tact was need in persuading those from over the hill to come and unload it of an afternoon, especially a  Friday afternoon.  However we had a yard supervisor who originally hailed from across that same stretch of water and who could easily revert to a very noticeable accent - it was remarkable how quickly a working party and the various trucks arrived if he happened to ring them.

Another advantage of having them close at hand back in the 1970s was that we could get attention to any suspicious packages very quickly as one of those units was also based there - we got to know them quite well but fortunately we never had a real one.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's funny looking back now, with the knowledge of what notieriety a certain substance has since gained, at a derailment at Llantarnam junction involving an ordinary 12ton goods van loaded with this substance (amm&n@@m n£tr/t#, if you're still with me - it the one that trips searches) As it had a hazardous goods label the local traffic boys had taken the precaution of telling the local fire brigade, and we turned up with the breakdown van, "nothing to worry about, just bags of fertiliser" the firemans chief scratches his head and goes off to consult his bumper book of hazardous substances, comes back after a bit "yeah, that's not a problem, we'll stay til youve done, but no worries" Now, things would be much tighter!

• Like 4

It would be interesting to know what gunpowder van traffic was in normal conditions, as even quite big railways seem only to have had a handful. Was it mainly for blasting in quarries for example?

But then when WW1 came along some railways (but not others) developed 'improvised gunpowder wagons'. Some of which - L&YR I'm looking at you - were not made of the normal steel, but were just ordinary wooden vans, possibly lined inside.

And then of course there were improvisations (again by some railways, not all) to carry stuff like picric acid. Which I gather can leave rather a hole in the carpet if anything goes wrong. I believe it was behind the devastating explosion at Low Moor, 1916, the full facts of which are still, as far as I know, kept secret. 

Now that is sinister.  I take it to be an advanced Smart Mine, developed for political assassination and triggered when it senses the precise weight and gait of the target walking into range ....!

Fortunately, there will be no such unpleasantness in CA; no gunpowder or munitions accidents, no Fenian or Nihilist Outrages, even Father Brown is banned because someone gets murdered wherever he goes, and there will be no assassinations, not even were Diana Rigg to ask.

No corridor coaches, either.

So make the most of ...

post-25673-0-01066200-1489848069.jpg

• Like 6