I don't know where "here" is for uax6, but if it's anywhere near "here" for me, can I vote against that suggestion? Looks 'orrible and cold, to me!

Palmerston Fort railway in c4mm/ft? If the fort ever gets going, give me a shout ...... I have a stash of 009/H0e track and trains of ideal kind, sitting in an old biscuit-tin, doing nothing, so would be very interested in a collaboration.

One of the locos in the tin is a Heeresfeldbahn 0-6-0T+T from the 1940s, which is very military, but a tad modern, large, and the wrong army, though!

18" can be done in 4mm scale (00-6.5), but it is a bit insane, and although 009//H0e is actually too broad, it is still so tiny that it looks OK in context. I've seen photos of a layout inspired by Camden Fort, built by a guy who lives in Cork, that uses 009, and it looks entirely credible.

Kevin

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Norfolk, where it is horrible and cold, but without the 'fun' of snow...

Andy G

It's nice and warm  In Norfolk... in My Lab 23C+_ 0.5C

• Like 3

I don't know where "here" is for uax6, but if it's anywhere near "here" for me, can I vote against that suggestion? Looks 'orrible and cold, to me!

Palmerston Fort railway in c4mm/ft? If the fort ever gets going, give me a shout ...... I have a stash of 009/H0e track and trains of ideal kind, sitting in an old biscuit-tin, doing nothing, so would be very interested in a collaboration.

One of the locos in the tin is a Heeresfeldbahn 0-6-0T+T from the 1940s, which is very military, but a tad modern, large, and the wrong army, though!

18" can be done in 4mm scale (00-6.5), but it is a bit insane, and although 009//H0e is actually too broad, it is still so tiny that it looks OK in context. I've seen photos of a layout inspired by Camden Fort, built by a guy who lives in Cork, that uses 009, and it looks entirely credible.

Kevin

Well, part of the inspiration was the advent of the 'OO6' Feldbahn system, to represent 18" gauge, as you say, but, I agree, it's a bit mad to attempt it.

• Like 4

All this talk of military railways and coastal forts leaves me surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the Spurn Head railway at the mouth of the Humber. http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/spurn-head-railway/ It scrapes in as pre-grouping being built in 1915. One of the few railways that can justify a single narrow baseboard with the sea on each side, plus the locals built sail operated vehicles to run on the line, so no problems with DC or DCC, you just need a hairdryer. 

post-14208-0-37305100-1490182048.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 12

Norfolk, where it is horrible and cold, but without the 'fun' of snow...

Andy G

My bit of Norfolk was basking in glorious wintry sunshine this morning. Though it's greyed over a bit now. The wind is currently a bit, er, bracing, though.

Paul

• Like 2

All this talk of military railways and coastal forts leaves me surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the Spurn Head railway at the mouth of ther Humber. http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/spurn-head-railway/ It scrapes in as pre-grouping being built in 1915. One of the few railways that can justify a single narrow baseboard with the sea on each side, plus the locals built sail operated vehicles to run on the line, so no problems with DC or DCC, you just need a hairdryer. 

attachicon.gifspurn sail.jpg

Yes, Spurn Head bears some further study on my part.

I am failing to keep up here, but the Calshot railway was mentioned, and this ran along a long sand spit to the sea 'plane base, so a 'sea on three sides' railway.

And, yes, I have a plan for a layout based on this line, too, complete with silver 1930s seaplanes (and a very small TE Lawrence)! 

• Like 6

Remaining off on a wander ....... it has struck me that a good scale/gauge combination for 18" gauge military things is 1/48, using 9mm track. It isn't quite exact, but is very close, and the error is way less than is happily tolerated elsewhere.

One of my unrealised projects is an underground store, a former stone mine, with tunnel leading out to a loading bay, and I got as far as stashing a few 1/48 "soft" military vehicles (an Austin 'Tilly, some motorbikes etc), with a view to a little convoy around a truck carrying something desperately secret, which is being transhipped for storage ......... I think it is possibly a lot of files and photographs relating to close-surveillance of Edward VIII, which someone has wisely decided absolutely mustn't fall into enemy (or newspaper) hands, but merit retention, because, if used carefully, they can help keep him "on side" at difficult moments.

So, a store for explosives, but not of the conventional kind.

All inspired by something very discreet, with an 18" gauge railway, in a wood near near Reigate, which actually did exist ........ although nobody is really sure what was kept in it during WW2.

National art treasures went to Manod quarry in Snowdonia,where they had dinky little wagons to ride about on a NG railway, and the best of the natural history museums "preserved things in jars" went to a stone mine near Godstone, but they started to ferment, and had to be removed!

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Not narrow gauge but there was also rail served a military store in Box Hill. There is/was a tunnel entrance beside the main line tunnel at the east end. Originally a quarry but later taken over for military and possible strategic storage purposes. And has actually been recreated as apart of a Microsoft Train Simulator route.

Jonathan

Edited for a typo

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not narrow gauge but there was also rail served a military store in Box Hill. There is/was a tunnel entrance beside the main line tunnel at the east end. Originally a quarry but later taken over for military and possible strategic storage purposes. And has actually be recreated as apart of a Microsoft Train Simulator route.

Jonathan

And later the Nuclear hide away for HMG, http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2005/12/14/burlington_nuclear_bunker_feature.shtml

• Like 4

Jonathan

The storage facility at Box did have NG, and I've heard (maybe a legend) that there is a R&H 48DL trapped down there.

I am poor on Wilts geography, but I think this site (loads of details here) was also in the Box Tunnel area http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/m/monkton_farleigh/index.shtml

A bit of it was retained as a stone mine until quite recently, certainly the 1980s, and I went to see an Alan Keef loco chugging across a lane, towing a lump of stone that was destined to become part of a catherdral restoration. http://www.alankeef.co.uk/gallery/materials-handling/

Kevin

(Woops! Yet again CA is being infiltrated by industrial narrow gauge interests!)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not narrow gauge but there was also rail served a military store in Box Hill. There is/was a tunnel entrance beside the main line tunnel at the east end. Originally a quarry but later taken over for military and possible strategic storage purposes. And has actually be recreated as apart of a Microsoft Train Simulator route.

Jonathan

Not to be confused with Box Hill in Surrey, where we charged about with our .303s while in the CCF.

• Like 2

Time wasted, Phil, when you could have been a mile or so east, visting a really interesting industrial narrow gauge railway, at Brockham Lime Works .......

Two narrow gauge steamers, and one standard gauge, all by Fletcher Jennings, from this site are preserved, and one of them spent a period in the late 1960s in its new owner's front garden, near to where my grandparents lived, so I had visiting rights.

Brockham became a NG museum, of course, forming the core of the collection that then transferred to Amberley.

Oh, and loads of bits of Doctor Who were filmed there!

Kevin

post-26817-0-03579400-1490192193.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of military railways and coastal forts leaves me surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the Spurn Head railway at the mouth of the Humber. http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/spurn-head-railway/ It scrapes in as pre-grouping being built in 1915. One of the few railways that can justify a single narrow baseboard with the sea on each side, plus the locals built sail operated vehicles to run on the line, so no problems with DC or DCC, you just need a hairdryer. 

attachicon.gifspurn sail.jpg

As mentioned in the linked article, the line appeared as a Plan of the Month in RM back in 1978. I could have sworn someone had actually built and exhibited it, but I can't find any evidence online so I may be imagining things again. The railway plays a minor role in the novel "The Somme Stations" by Andrew Martin, a WW1 detective story which also features the narrow gauge lines at the front.
  • Like 1

Edwardian

Cal shot has been interpreted in 009 by at least two people: an RmWebber who I don't know has done two iterations in a quite sparse, open, realistic style; and, I think, Henk Wurst, from the Netherlands, bought a very busy version, with slipways, sea-plane hangars and oodles more, to Swanley some years ago.

I tricked my good lady into walking a lot of the route - we'd been to the railway that was built for the late Mr Rothschild at Exbury earlier in the day ...... all very civilised, rhododendrons and tea shops (this is a railway where HMQ drove the ceremonial opening train; not rode, drove) ...... so when I said "there is another narrow gauge line I wouldn't mind looking at near here .....", I don't think she really envisaged a wind-whipped shingle spit and a load of industrial dereliction!

K

Footnotes, in case of infiltration:

A) I didn't expect it to be quite that windy, derelict and rainy, and yes, it did cause us to take absolutely ages to find somewhere to eat that evening. Sorry!

B) No, I haven't spent all day on "the forum" today ...... I've cooked loads of meals, and frozen them ..... it was only while the pots were boiling.

post-26817-0-80672500-1490195488.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Kevin

Very tempting in 7/8ths using 32mm track live steam and some interesting bits available http://modelearth.net/

• Like 2

Too tempting!

If I had my time again, I'd probably go for 7/8n18, or perhaps 7/8n24, in the garden, rather than the vaguely 3ft-ish things on 45mm that I did. I periodically run a ruler over my Roundhouse "Billy", because I've seen a number of them converted to something very close to a Waril.

7/8 looks very realistic indeed when done well ...... somehow the plants don't look out of scale.

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Too tempting!

If I had my time again, I'd probably go for 7/8n18, or perhaps 7/8n24, in the garden, rather than the vaguely 3ft-ish things on 45mm that I did. I periodically run a ruler over my Roundhouse "Billy", because I've seen a number of them converted to something very close to a Waril.

7/8 looks very realistic indeed when done well ...... somehow the plants don't look out of scale.

K

There are people who do both. Changing a few buildings and the stock the plants of course can be left as they are.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Back on teak, if you are worried if you have the colour right, find a photo of the SVR nine-carriage teak set. There is one in the latest Shareholders' Newsletter and as far as i can see every one is a different colout, some much darker and some much redder.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Pembury Country Park is on the site of an old armaments store some interesting structures and bits of track and there is a minature railway on the site run by a local MES at weekends I think.

It started as a Dynamite factory in Victorian times was producing TNT for WWI and WWII there was a connection to the GWR at Pembury on site were standard and narrow gauge lines. Some tracks of both are still to be see buried in tarmac.

Don

When we visited Pembrey Country Park in the mid-1980s, this monstrosity was the motive power of the day.

post-14351-0-53428500-1490377651_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2