Well, today I finally got round to replacing the floors in the two K's wagons that I had acquired second-hand and repainted.

This, I thought, was a suitable occasion to pose the West Norfolk's entire stock to date.

Very nice.

• RMweb Premium

Bumped into this chap, who was enquiring as to how his subjects are faring, this afternoon.

K

Now, apropos of saloon carriages, somewhere - I think in a slim book of Leicestershire Railways from Old Postcards I can't just find - I've seen a photo of His Majesty on the platform at some lesser junction - possibly Syston - awaiting his connection onward to Wolferton having left Queen Alexandra to travel on to London - I think they'd been at Chatsworth. As the caption says, 'almost a ordinary passenger'.

It was a postcard, taken from a distance - paparazzi are nothing new!

Read Mr American by the late George MacDonald Fraser - or even his more scandalous representation of Bertie in The Subtleties of Baccarat (Flashman and the Tiger)!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

Lady Erstwhile usually travels Third Class, during quite periods of the day, due to her admirable sense of thrift.  She usually enjoys a compartment to herself.  This is down to the intimidating effect of her natural hauteur. And not at all because she smells perpetually of horses.

I  took  my  son  on  the  Keighley  and  Worth  Valley  a  wee  while  back.  We  travelled  in  a  compartment  coach -- a thing  he  couldn't  believe.  I  was  able  to  show  him  how,  with  just  two  of  us,  we  were  able  to  make  it  look  to  inlookers  as  if  the  compartment  was  full,  discouraging  further  entrants,  a  skill  I  learned  on  the  Cathcart  Circle  trains,  travelling  to  school!  And  we  didn't  smell  of  horses,  though  I  couldn't  claim  we  were  squeaky  clean.

Allan  F

• Like 4

Bumped into this chap, who was enquiring as to how his subjects are faring, this afternoon.

K

"Yes, I know, said cheerio to Alix at Syston, or somewhere equally ordinary, and came home to find this damn tree in the Library!"

post-25673-0-40837900-1493664555_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Amid all this talk of saloons and private carriages, we are overlooking the fact that the esteemed directors and officers of the WNR will require their own conveyance in order to carry out inspections of their domain.  By 1900 they could have purchased both, second hand, from the Caledonian when that company replaced these with an ex-WCJS saloon and 123.

post-25077-0-49771900-1493665892_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the cab being half full of motor, but in my book a loco with the cab half full of motor is better than no loco at all!!

Jim

• Like 4

"Need to be a bit wary of HRH, I think, Winston. That tree that you bought back from South Africa for him doesn't seem to be going down as well as you'd hoped."

"In fact, I'd say it's a bit of a Boer!"

• RMweb Premium

Now, apropos of saloon carriages, somewhere - I think in a slim book of Leicestershire Railways from Old Postcards I can't just find - I've seen a photo of His Majesty on the platform at some lesser junction - possibly Syston - awaiting his connection onward to Wolferton having left Queen Alexandra to travel on to London - I think they'd been at Chatsworth. As the caption says, 'almost a ordinary passenger'.

It was a postcard, taken from a distance - paparazzi are nothing new!

Found it! Leicestershire and Rutland Railway Stations on old picture postcards, Brian Lund (Yesterday's Leicestershire series No. 2, Reflections of a Bygone age, Keyworth, Nottingham, 1996). On 7 January 1907, His Majesty, travelling from Rowsley (i.e. Chatsworth) had to wait nine minutes on the platform at Saxby (not Syston) for his connection on to St Pancras, while the Queen had gone on to Wolferton (that sounds a more likely state of affairs...). In the first photo, he's walking away from a clerestory carriage that has a rather Great Eastern-ish air to my eyes, in greatcoat and bowler hat and with a stick, there's a taller middl-aged chap similarilt attired and a couple of younger attendants with top hats - the younger one stands at a greater distance (he looks like the junior security man) while the elder talks to someone in the carriage. In the second photo, the same group are alone on the platform with addition of a white terrier. The King does look to be a rather tired old man. A train is drawing out from the opposite platform - several the droplights are down with passengers leaning out and waving. 

• RMweb Premium

"Always carry a loaded revolver east of Aldgate"

Not sure where that leaves Norfolk. 

To fend off "Black Shuck"?

IIRC Conan Doyle wrote some of his works while staying in Happisburgh, and heard the stories of Black Shuck, which became the basis for the Hound of the Baskervilles..

• Like 2

To fend off "Black Shuck"?

IIRC Conan Doyle wrote some of his works while staying in Happisburgh, and heard the stories of Black Shuck, which became the basis for the Hound of the Baskervilles..

Funny you should say that.

I originally acquired these two figures for inclusion on my first planned layout, a model of Fenmarch on the Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Railway, set in the north Cambridgeshire Fens.  The idea behind the project is written up here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/109574-the-isle-of-eldernell-mereport-railway-1897/&do=findComment&comment=2250790  

Of course, I got distracted and started on the West Norfolk Railway instead.

The setting of the Fenmarch model was to be a little earlier, the Jubilee year of 1897.  I daresay you are far better informed of the author's movements, but, thinking to get Holmes & Watson on the trail of the Black Shuck at that time, I noted:

According to the noted Holmesian scholar, W S Baring-Gould, Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle had intended to set a mystery in the brooding Fenland around the Isle of Eldernell, though the untitled manuscript, dating from 1907, was evidently laid aside unfinished.  The working title, Black Shuck, alludes to the monstrous black dog that haunts the Fens and much of East Anglia.  This idea evolved, of course, into one of the most dramatic and best-loved tales in the Canon. From what Conan-Doyle did write, the story would seem to have been set the June following the conclusion of The Adventure of the Devil’s Foot. That would have placed Holmes and Watson in the Fens in the summer of 1897. 

Spooky.

post-25673-0-37928600-1493724888.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having sailed through the Norfolk broads overnight through the fog, and also walked Dartmoor and Exmoor on foggy days I could quiet easily see how the story could be set in either place ( or the fens)...

Having sailed through the Norfolk broads overnight through the fog, and also walked Dartmoor and Exmoor on foggy days I could quiet easily see how the story could be set in either place ( or the fens)...

The full significance of what you wrote has only just struck me. When I imagined that Conan Doyle might have based the Hound on Black Shuck, I was simply imagining it; I did not know that "Conan Doyle wrote some of his works while staying in Happisburgh, and heard the stories of Black Shuck"

I was even thinking of having a large black tank engine called Black Shuck!

EDIT: Perhaps the West Norfolk should?

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

"The Adventure of the Dancing Men" was set in Norfolk, and one of Holmes' first investigations took place there, helping a university friend. Just out of interest, the reference to "East of Aldgate" is not from the original canon but was a later use by Basil Rathbone I think. Still a good line, but Holmes appears happy to have travelled just with his weighted hunting crop.

• RMweb Premium

This is where Conan Doyle stayed in Happisburgh, more than once I believe, http://www.hillhouseinn.co.uk/, And in the back garden is a converted signal box converted to guest room accomodation!!!

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

Can I draw the attention of any Doylians in Sussex and West Kent to this http://crowboroughcommunityfestival.org/conan-doyle-the-man-who-created-sherlock-holmes/ ....... it's really a shameless plug, in that my mother is part of the organising committee! Andrew Lycett really, really knows his stuff, and, with luck, will 'stay on to answer questions' afterwards.

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having lived in places close to wild spots most of them seem to have tales of wild beasts. At one time (probably circa 2008)  there were a lot of sightings of the Beast of Exmoor around Minehead. Marion certainly saw something rather large and black prowling close to the road one time but no doubt it was not the panther that was rumoured.

Don

• Like 2