West Norfolk Railway Locomotive List:

No. 1, 0-4-2T, Neilson & Co, designed by SW Johnson based upon GER Class T7, 1876, Castle-Aching-Achingham Branch Passenger Locomotive,

No. 2, 0-6-0ST, Fox Walker, 1877, Wolfringham Branch Locomotive

No. 3, 0-6-0T, Sharp Stewart, 1878. Goods Locomotive. See Furness Railway G1

No. 4, 2-4-0, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, 1873. Passenger Locomotive. See Furness Railway E1.

No. 5, 0-6-0, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, 1875. Goods Locomotive.  Sharp Stewart Works No. 2512 of 1875.  Originally ordered by Furness Ry. Sold to WNR 1875.  See Furness Railway D1

No. 6, 2-4-2T, Sharp Stewart, 1883. Passenger Tank Locomotive similar to those supplied to Rhenish Railway. 

No. 7, 2-4-0, Melton Constable/Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, ExCMR/L&FR/E&MR (Second-hand to WNR from MGNJ, 1895-1898).  Mixed Traffic Locomotive.  Converted from 0-6-0T by Eastern & Midland Ry. at Melton Constable 

No. 8, 0-6-0T, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, ExCMR/L&FR/E&MR (Second-hand to WNR from MGNJ, 1899-1902). Goods-Mineral Locomotive for Wolfringham Branch.

No. 9, 0-6-0T, Stroudley ex-LB&SCR Class A1 (Second-hand to WNR, 1899-1902)

I think I have worked out how to model all of these save Nos. 4 and 5

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I was working on the templates for the turnouts yesterday. I thought I had better make sure they would all fit together. It is hard trying to replicate someones templot plan from a screen image. A couple of things I need to confirm.

Are you using the plain bog standard 00 or one of the variants.

How long does the station area need to be.

Lastly what is the minimum radius you want ( assumed 3ft for the main but what about the loop and sidings)

Don

• Like 2

I was working on the templates for the turnouts yesterday. I thought I had better make sure they would all fit together. It is hard trying to replicate someones templot plan from a screen image. A couple of things I need to confirm.

Are you using the plain bog standard 00 or one of the variants.

How long does the station area need to be.

Lastly what is the minimum radius you want ( assumed 3ft for the main but what about the loop and sidings)

Don

Thank you, Don.

I have PM'd you and answered to the extent my meagre understanding will allow!

• RMweb Gold

Having lived in places close to wild spots most of them seem to have tales of wild beasts. At one time (probably circa 2008)  there were a lot of sightings of the Beast of Exmoor around Minehead. Marion certainly saw something rather large and black prowling close to the road one time but no doubt it was not the panther that was rumoured.

Don

About 20 years ago, I had a close encounter with one in the wee small hours while I was westbound on the A30, dropping down through the woodland just before the short 3-lane section east of Honiton. 

I stopped to avoid hitting the creature and it "studied" me for a few seconds before departing - I was very glad to be in the car rather than on two wheels!

Black as the ace of spades, easily two feet high at the shoulder with a long thick tail and eyes that made my blood run cold - no doubt whatsoever in my mind as to what it was.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"No. 4, 2-4-0, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, 1873. Passenger Locomotive. See Furness Railway E1"

If this is like the Cambrian ones there is now a kit, from CamKits if I remember rightly (if so he does not have a website).

Jonathan

"No. 4, 2-4-0, Sharp Stewart & 4-wheel tender, 1873. Passenger Locomotive. See Furness Railway E1"

If this is like the Cambrian ones there is now a kit, from CamKits if I remember rightly (if so he does not have a website).

Jonathan

It is. 

Thank you.

Do you know how are CamKits to be found?

Knuckles of this parish should have one in the pipeline (he has made a 3D print of the J1, the Furness tank rebuild).

Either version would do, but I have an outline drawing of the Furness No.12 of 1873.

Having brush-painted a coach body with acrylics, to establish the WNR livery, I decided to see if I could attempt something similar with rattle cans.

I believe I have found a good cream, so the search is on for a suitable green.

BTW, the green will also be the main colour for locomotives, probably bordered by a darker green.

What do others think?

post-25673-0-77966600-1493880421_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-41402900-1493880472_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-11765900-1493880526_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Might be worth seeing if you can find a Victorian colour chart, because the range of pigments that they had was rather limited, producing characteristic greens.

Can I buy that compartment to use on my allotment when you've finished?

K

• Like 2

Might be worth seeing if you can find a Victorian colour chart, because the range of pigments that they had was rather limited, producing characteristic greens.

Can I buy that compartment to use on my allotment when you've finished?

K

Hmm, the implication being that these are not characteristic greens?

I hadn't thought about using it as an allotment shed, but it did put me in mind of this:

post-25673-0-12652100-1493883369_thumb.jpg

Oh, sorry, I didn't quite mean that; I really don't know what is characteristic, but I do know that they had few pigments.

I found the below by a quick google, and I'm thinking you may have alighted on emerald, made from arsenic.

The one I can't quickly find is that very dense shade that I associate ( maybe wrongly) with Pugin. Presumably it was a very saturated version of something, as must have been those "vanishing" greens that look black, except in very bright light.

This chap is the most knowledgable - I once consulted him about something that I was doing in my work, and he was massively helpful. http://patrickbaty.co.uk/2016/01/09/bronze-green/

post-26817-0-01515400-1493885044.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer

Having brush-painted a coach body with acrylics, to establish the WNR livery, I decided to see if I could attempt something similar with rattle cans.

I believe I have found a good cream, so the search is on for a suitable green.

BTW, the green will also be the main colour for locomotives, probably bordered by a darker green.

What do others think?

Please, what is the source of the cream colour in Test 1? If it is a 'rattle can' it could be most useful.

Please, what is the source of the cream colour in Test 1? If it is a 'rattle can' it could be most useful.

Hi drmditch

The first point to make is that it is the same cream in all three shots, and all three shots were taken in the same spot barely 15 minutes apart. 

Thus offering unexpected support for all I have said about not fussy over attempting a precise match to the prototype!

The second point to make, then, it looks to my eye in most conditions somewhere between the shade in shots 1 and 2.  It looks creamier than in shot 3, which is not characteristic, and is taken in shade.

Anyway, it's a Halfords rattle can and the colour is Lada Cream.

I could also find a great Ivory and a lovely Bronze Green; if I wanted to model the Cambrian, that is!

Did find these when searching for Victorian colour charts, though geared to matters of décor.  My 'mind's eye' colour was something like 113 on the right-hand chart, or 75.  The first green in Post 3458 is too blue.  I want a yellow, not a blue, green, but not a bronze green! The second and third shots show the same green, which is better, but rather bright.  When toned down with black lining on the coaches and in panels surrounded by darker green borders on the locomotives, it might look better.

post-25673-0-73556200-1493886676.jpg

post-25673-0-76539200-1493886690_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-88145600-1493886791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Hi drmditch

The first point to make is that it is the same cream in all three shots, and all three shots were taken in the same spot barely 15 minutes apart. 

Thus offering unexpected support for all I have said about not fussy over attempting a precise match to the prototype!

The second point to make, then, it looks to my eye in most conditions somewhere between the shade in shots 1 and 2.  It looks creamier than in shot 3, which is not characteristic, and is taken in shade.

Anyway, it's a Halfords rattle can and the colour is Lada Cream.

I could also find a great Ivory and a lovely Bronze Green; if I wanted to model the Cambrian, that is!

Did find these when searching for Victorian colour charts, though geared to matters of décor.  My 'mind's eye' colour was something like 113 on the right-hand chart, or 75.  The first green in Post 3458 is too blue.  I want a yellow, not a blue, green, but not a bronze green! The second and third shots show the same green, which is better, but rather bright.  When toned down with black lining on the coaches and in panels surrounded by darker green borders on the locomotives, it might look better.

Many thanks. Please could I ask a further question as to what undercoat you used?

Many thanks. Please could I ask a further question as to what undercoat you used?

Halford's grey primer.  Not the plastic primer, just the Boggo stuff.  I undercoat everything with it (hard and soft plastic, white-metal, and, I believe, it works on brass) and it takes enamels and acrylics as well as car cellulose.

Magic stuff and cheap as chips.  I understand the red primer is best if you are spraying red/maroon over the top, otherwise I'd suggest grey all the way.

• Like 2

Halford's grey primer.  Not the plastic primer, just the Boggo stuff.  I undercoat everything with it (hard and soft plastic, white-metal, and, I believe, it works on brass) and it takes enamels and acrylics as well as car cellulose.

Magic stuff and cheap as chips.  I understand the red primer is best if you are spraying red/maroon over the top, otherwise I'd suggest grey all the way.

Thank you. Yes I use the standard grey or red stuff as well. Very useful and allows for my very inadequate painting skills! I've never (yet) had a problem with it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Would something like the sage green that BMC used for Morris Minors be a good colour? It's not quite as dark as bronze green, and goes well with the Old English White used on the wheels.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-1966-almond-green-morris-minor-two-door-saloon-in-rape-field-57599409.html

Of course the WNR could just buy whatever green its offered cheap, so that every item is painted a different colour... Also don't forget the varnishing would add a yellow tinge to the colours and greens would fade with age too.

Andy G

Would something like the sage green that BMC used for Morris Minors be a good colour? It's not quite as dark as bronze green, and goes well with the Old English White used on the wheels.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-1966-almond-green-morris-minor-two-door-saloon-in-rape-field-57599409.html

Of course the WNR could just buy whatever green its offered cheap, so that every item is painted a different colour... Also don't forget the varnishing would add a yellow tinge to the colours and greens would fade with age too.

Andy G

That may be a good colour to look into.

In the meanwhile, I thought I'd see how the colours looked when lined out.  Disaster!

I tried Penlan's idea of painting a gold/yellow first in order leave an outline for the black.  It's a good look, but my lining turned out to be all over the place, not helped by the fact that the cellulose surface is quite slippery.  Any tips welcome, because this wouldn't even pass the 3 foot test.

I also tried yet another green.

post-25673-0-88555600-1493901247_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-95970100-1493901298_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Well it depends. For the first trial of lining I did on these sort of coaches, I just did the black. The body colour was crimson lake, and I went on the basis that at 3 foot away (something like 250 scale feet) that you wouldn't be able to see a 1/4" yellow/gold line anyway. Being in work I haven't any photos of the end result, but will take some in the morning if you want.

It is possible (so I'm told) to use a bow pen to line, so I would line the yellow first onto the bolections (day one the verticals, day two the horizontals) and then the black over the top (again day 1 the verticals, day two the horizontals). Mind you with a steady hand, a fine brush and a magnifier, you could probably do it all by brush, but again over four days. Sadly you can't rush lining!

Andy G

Getting rather Ffestiniog!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffestiniog_Railway_rolling_stock#/media/File%3AFfestiniog_Railway_Carriage_17.jpg

I'm not sure whether this was an historic livery, or a preserved-era only livery, but I remember some of the stock being like this, and it looked very good, as does yours.

K

It is, isn't it, especially with the waist-band in cream, lined out upper panels and the use of the rather GW-like "First" and "Third", which I shall also be using!

Truly, there are only so many possible livery combinations!

That Ffestiniog Railway livery is how I remember them "when I were a lad". I believe it was abandoned because the railway decided it was too complex/expensive/time-consuming to maintain. It was a handsome livery though.

I wonder when the "golden age" of carriage painting was. Because I get the impression simplification was the thing even pre-WW1. For example the GWR went from a very complex (but rather lovely) version of chocolate and cream to simple lake, albeit lined out. The GC went from brown and cream (lined out) to simple teak. Though of course some companies carried on with the same complex style - the LNWR for example. 

• Like 1