• RMweb Gold

Don't be ashamed James,

Just look at how many of my projects are sitting around unfinished!! I seem to get the bulk of the work done in a couple of evenings and then they sit around waiting for lining and detailing for the rest of eternity. I think the B1, the Manning Wardle and the P Class are the only locos I have actually finished!!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Im in a time loop next up Jenny Agutter

Nick

It is, apparently, obligatory to include a picture of Jenny Agutter in every 1,263rd post on this thread. Manure, however, comes round more frequently.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Minor geographical correction: Cadinen is a blooming long way from the setting of Riddle of the Sands.

Chris - yes, in one direction, and yes, it is an ex antique shop, it is no more etc etc.

K

Though there might not have been such sandy conundrums in Ostpreußen, then again, there were the bridges of Königsberg!

• Like 2

It is, apparently, obligatory to include a picture of Jenny Agutter in every 1,263rd post on this thread. Manure, however, comes round more frequently.

If there wasn't already such a rule, we'd have to introduce one.  Of course, that is merely a minimum requirement; you can post them with greater regularity.

I blame Kevin for much, if not all, of the scatological content.  I wonder what Herr Doktor Freud would have made of it?

post-25673-0-54367500-1494365878_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

guilty as charged 

I stand before the parishioners to do humble penance in the village  stocks beneath the castle ruins  

Nick

"I wonder what Herr Doktor Freud would have made of it?"

Good question.

Do you think he might have found interest in anything else in this thread besides?

K

Good answer.

If it wasn't for this topic, I'd be in therapy.

Come to think of it, it is therapy!

post-25673-0-98114300-1494368317.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

guilty as charged 

I stand before the parishioners to do humble penance in the village  stocks beneath the castle ruins  

Nick

My railway grandchildren suffered that indignity at the aforementioned Lewes Castle.

post-14351-0-71648400-1494369275_thumb.jpg

Edit

Clearly the good folk of West Norfolk are dumb-struck by the cruelty of us southerners and yet I haven't had a dawn raid by the NSPCC, that's the beadle to you lot!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

so I have served my time in the stocks,  what has happened to our leader post 3574 was positively railway like ?

Nick

Thanks, Nick, though the answer is "not a whole lot, I'm afraid".

For the Neilson tank I need to find what I did with the screws for the keeper plate and the spring for the trailing wheel.  I had resolved to start paintong the 4-wheelers, but just haven't managed to whack up the necessary ginger.  Bit under the weather the last week, so perhaps that's it.

One of the problems of making a series of odd shaped bits of the village, without a baseboard or, indeed, a large enough  level surface, is that when you come to place them on a baseboard, you find the fit is fairly approximate.  So, today I managed to adapt the triangle of road that leads from the arched gateway to the front of the board.  I have now cobbled it and need to add pavements to either side.

• Like 7

Beautiful. Just a few miles west of this!

I am intrigued at the thought you may have so readily identified the location of my photographs.  I wonder where exactly you place them?

Certainly the first picture is just a few miles west of your photograph, but, I estimate, about 10-12 miles to its north.

Anyway, splendid photograph of a wonderful mid-Victorian viaduct, for which many thanks. The structure is new to me; I must visit it.  

I really, really, don't need another layout project, but at the back of my mind I keep thinking that I should model something local to me, and the nearest former line was the North Eastern's Stainmore route, which, of course, reached the WCML at Tebay, just a few miles north of your viaduct.

I take it to be Waterside Viaduct, over the River Lune, just north east of Sedbergh (pictured below). 

Residents of Norfolk may be unfamiliar with the geography, but if you picture the LNWR's West Coast Mainline ploughing north from Carnforth to Oxenholme, and then hanging a right turn to the east to Low Gill, where the line turns left to strike northward again to Tebay and thence on to Penrith, and Carlisle, where the Scottish companies took over.

At Low Gill was a junction, from which a now dismantled LNW line ran south to Ingleton.  Ingleton was on much the same latitude as Carnforth, so these two LNW lines ran on broadly parallel courses northward, until the WCML swung east to meet the line from Ingleton.

At Ingleton, it appears from the map that there was an end-on junction with Midland running south.

I would love to know what traffic used this line, what was routed thence?  Ingleton appeared to represent a link between the WCML and the L&Y routes to Blackburn and Manchester, and the Midland into the West Riding and Leeds.

South to north, the intermediate LNW stations between Ingleton and Low Gill were Kirkby Lonsdale, Barbon, Middleton and Sedbergh.  The line features the beautiful Lune Gorge and there is a second notable viaduct, of 11 arches, just south of Low Gill station. 

The Midland's Settle & Carlisle is possibly more familiar to many, and runs broadly parallel to the LNW's Ingleton-Low Gill line to its east, so, Ingleton is on a similar latitude to Horton. Kirkby Lonsdale is just a little further south than Ribblehead,  Barbon is across from Blea Moor, Middleton is on a similar latitude to Dent, and Sedbergh to Hawes Junction (Garsdale).

While the S&C is familiar to us all, I was surprised and delighted by this older North Western viaduct with its central cast iron span.  It is crying ourt to be modelled.  Oh dear.  Steve, what have you done?!?

post-25673-0-22646800-1494839998_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The line you're admiring was built by the London North Western Railway to link into the (Little) North Western Railway. (The "little" was usually added to distinguish tween the two.)This was built to go from Skipton to Lancaster, and linked South Eastwards from Skipton into theLeeds area, and consequently the Midland Railway empire. It had a branch from Clapham Junction (different one) to Ingleton. The Midland took over the Little NWR, and the LNWR built your line south from Low Gill to Ingleton partly to block further expansion by the MR, and partly to give a through route for Scotch traffic from West Yorkshire via Carlisle. It seems the service given by the LNWR was unsatisfactory and finally led to the Midland building its own route, the Settle and Carlisle, opened 1875/6. So before then the Ingleton line would have been busy, with a great LNWR/ MR mix of trains (not many lines give you that) but after that it would have gone very much to a branch line.

• RMweb Premium

I am intrigued at the thought you may have so readily identified the location of my photographs.  I wonder where exactly you place them?

Certainly the first picture is just a few miles west of your photograph, but, I estimate, about 10-12 miles to its north.

Anyway, splendid photograph of a wonderful mid-Victorian viaduct, for which many thanks. The structure is new to me; I must visit it.  

I really, really, don't need another layout project, but at the back of my mind I keep thinking that I should model something local to me, and the nearest former line was the North Eastern's Stainmore route, which, of course, reached the WCML at Tebay, just a few miles north of your viaduct.

I take it to be Waterside Viaduct, over the River Lune, just north east of Sedbergh (pictured below). 

Residents of Norfolk may be unfamiliar with the geography, but if you picture the LNWR's West Coast Mainline ploughing north from Carnforth to Oxenholme, and then hanging a right turn to the east to Low Gill, where the line turns left to strike northward again to Tebay and thence on to Penrith, and Carlisle, where the Scottish companies took over.

At Low Gill was a junction, from which a now dismantled LNW line ran south to Ingleton.  Ingleton was on much the same latitude as Carnforth, so these two LNW lines ran on broadly parallel courses northward, until the WCML swung east to meet the line from Ingleton.

At Ingleton, it appears from the map that there was an end-on junction with Midland running south.

I would love to know what traffic used this line, what was routed thence?  Ingleton appeared to represent a link between the WCML and the L&Y routes to Blackburn and Manchester, and the Midland into the West Riding and Leeds.

South to north, the intermediate LNW stations between Ingleton and Low Gill were Kirkby Lonsdale, Barbon, Middleton and Sedbergh.  The line features the beautiful Lune Gorge and there is a second notable viaduct, of 11 arches, just south of Low Gill station. 

The Midland's Settle & Carlisle is possibly more familiar to many, and runs broadly parallel to the LNW's Ingleton-Low Gill line to its east, so, Ingleton is on a similar latitude to Horton. Kirkby Lonsdale is just a little further south than Ribblehead,  Barbon is across from Blea Moor, Middleton is on a similar latitude to Dent, and Sedbergh to Hawes Junction (Garsdale).

While the S&C is familiar to us all, I was surprised and delighted by this older North Western viaduct with its central cast iron span.  It is crying ourt to be modelled.  Oh dear.  Steve, what have you done?!?

The line you're admiring was built by the London North Western Railway to link into the (Little) North Western Railway. (The "little" was usually added to distinguish tween the two.)This was built to go from Skipton to Lancaster, and linked South Eastwards from Skipton into theLeeds area, and consequently the Midland Railway empire. It had a branch from Clapham Junction (different one) to Ingleton. The Midland took over the Little NWR, and the LNWR built your line south from Low Gill to Ingleton partly to block further expansion by the MR, and partly to give a through route for Scotch traffic from West Yorkshire via Carlisle. It seems the service given by the LNWR was unsatisfactory and finally led to the Midland building its own route, the Settle and Carlisle, opened 1875/6. So before then the Ingleton line would have been busy, with a great LNWR/ MR mix of trains (not many lines give you that) but after that it would have gone very much to a branch line.

Edwardian, your viaduct identification is spot on and Northroader has summarised the history. The LNW section of the line has several surviving engineering features of note: the Lowgill viaduct, a graceful 11-arched structure on the curve as the line swings round from the erstwhile junction at Low Gill, as mentioned by Northroader; the Lune or Waterside Viaduct; and the bridge over the River Rawthey just south of Sedbergh, a skew iron arch using the same iron spans as the Lune Viaduct. i forget whether the substantial viaduct at Ingleton was built by the LNW or the Midland - the two companies had their stations at either end; I think in later pre-grouping days they took it in turn to run through to the other side's station. I'm not so familiar with the line or the Vale of Lune south of Sedbergh. After the LNW and Midland started traffic pooling agreements from 1908 onwards, one Midland express each way daily ran via this route, going over Shap (engine crews laughing at the idea it could be compared to the long drag up to Aisgill) and stopping at Penrith, providing a connection between the West Riding and the northern Lakes.

Your second photo shows the Howgill Fells, from Winder in the south round by Arant Haw and Calders to the triangulation pillar atop the Calf, then round by White Fell Head, with Seat Knot and Castley Knot standing guard over the Chapel Beck flowing down through Howgill with its chapel and former woollen mill, past the farm where I have spent at least a week annually nearly every year since 1971. One can walk those fells for hours without meeting a soul - bar sheep. (Do sheep have souls? The ones up there certainly baa.) My late mother described the Howgill Fells as seen from the west as in your photo, as like a herd of sleeping elephants.

On a southbound WCML train, sit on the left facing forward. Past Tebay, the Lune Gorge closes in and one is thankfully oblivious of the M6 on the slope above. Just as the line swings west to descend GreyriggBank to Oxenholm, there is a split second view straight down the Vale of Lune, with Lowgill Viaduct below, before the train plunges under the motorway. In the right light, it's a momentary vision of paradise.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Re. Clapham Junction: Clapham was the home of one of the great Edwardians, Reginald Farrer, a pioneer of my Father's hobby of growing alpine plants. In the years before the Great War, he travelled the high places of the world collecting seed with which to stock his rock garden at Clapham and to distribute to like-minded enthusiasts. There is a story of him returning home from one such expedition and getting as far as Skipton, whence the last train to Clapham had left. He ordered a special,there and then, and got it. It may have helped that he had an uncle or some such who was a Director of the Midland...   

I might have studied at Lancaster for a year, but my knowledge of this mysterious "north" is summarised below.

Lancaster?  The North?  It's barely on the southern edge of civilisation!!   :jester:

BTW, you also get a good view of Lo wgill Viaduct from said M6, provided you are not driving, of course!   :no:

Jim

• Like 2

Lancaster?  The North?  It's barely on the southern edge of civilisation!!   :jester:

BTW, you also get a good view of Lo wgill Viaduct from said M6, provided you are not driving, of course!   :no:

Jim

Quite so.  Yorkshire people are Southerners for us, and there is still quite a bit more above us before you get to the Wall!

• RMweb Premium

Quite so.  Yorkshire people are Southerners for us, and there is still quite a bit more above us before you get to the Wall!

You have to tread carefully here - historically, this section of the River Lune was the boundary between Yorkshire and Westmorland up to the start of the Lune Gorge, where the county boundary turned east across the fells. For many years this has all been Cumbria but the old county boundary was until recently the limit of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

It's an area of Norse settlement; Danes from north of the old East Riding will appreciate the bleakness of the old North Eastern (Stockton & Darlington) line over Stainmoor with its twin forks to Tebay and Penrith.

Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with any of these northern counties than as a satisfied customer. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3