When I see old toys in nearly new condition, as that one is, I always wonder what the story behind them is. Why so little played with?

I've got a c1937 Bassett Lowke 0-4-0T that falls into this bracket, but in that case, the explanation looks clear ...... someone had fitted one of the wheels 'out of quarter', possibly even during manufacture, so it got its coupling rods crossed when given the slightest load, until sorted. Little Johnny (I can't recall his actual name, but it is pencilled on the box) must have been really disappointed!

I have a boxed set of City Imperial Volunteers, and Gordon Highlanders, dating from the Boer War, which are still tied in their box, and have clearly never been disturbed.  They are made by the German firm, Gebruder Heinrich, which had a huge export business to the UK before the First World War. They were always very topical and rushed out their sets to capitalise on the many conflicts that the world had (and continues to have)

I often wonder, since l bought them in a house sale, not from a collector, whether an older brother or father perhaps, fell in the Boer War, and that was why the Christmas present was never given.  They would have been an expensive present, only affordable by a middle, or upper middle, class family, the source of so many Officers in that conflict.

• Like 4

Much catching up to do, I see, but, in the meantime, postcards from Cornwall!

On the Liskeard & Carodon Railway near Cheesewring.  The stone block sleepering is still in evidence in places.  In the 'visitor centre' was a picture of a Sunday School Special from 1903.

Originally worked via gravity (loaded wagons) and horses (empties), the provision in the 1840s authorising legislation banning locomotives from crossing public roads on pain of a £50 fine, didn't bother the owners.  But steam traction came in the 1860s and someone realised that it could become quite expensive!  A number of level crossings were converted to bridges as a result.

The line lacked any passenger stock and was not authorised to convey passengers.  A number of excursions were operated, however.  By a means that appeals to the twisted mind of a lawyer, the passengers travelled for free, but their hats and umbrellas were charged full fares.

The 1903 pictures shows Liskeard & Looe Railway stock.  

post-25673-0-70395500-1503570586_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-96713200-1503570603_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Cracking walk up to the quarry, isn't it?

Even with the help of books and maps, I got confused about which bit of trackbed was what, so gave up and focused on keeping our then two dogs somewhere in sight - they were noses down and tails up all over the place.

K

• Like 3

They must have had a lot of hatless umbrellaless freeloading passengers

You know, I am sure the Management would lend passengers an umbrella, should they be found to have forgotten to bring one!

That whole train is wonderful, from the outside cylinder 0-6-0ST to the brake/road van, but I was thinking that those short dumb-buffered (at one end only from the look of them) Looe & Liskead wagons would be perfect for the West Norfolk's coal traffic from Wolfringham Staithe.    

I think, though, that wagons would be side-door only. Loaded at the harbour, and unloaded in a station or factory yard.

post-25673-0-78383900-1503609033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You know, I am sure the Management would lend passengers an umbrella, should they be found to have forgotten to bring one!

Rather in the same way that some private clubs hold a stock of ties at the porters' desk (or, in the case of the Singapore Cricket Club, a few pairs of long trousers) for the use of those who are unaware of, or have forgotten, the dress code.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Presumably People were only allowed to board the train if they were supporting a Hat or Umbrella in possession of a valid ticket. The majority in the photo do appear to be hatted.

Don

We are talking about an age when mo one would leave home without wearing a hat. This is a generalisation, all generalisations are false.)

My Dad always wore a hat, a cap in his case. In his working days it usually had a hole in the top where he would snag it whilst working on the farm so not a lot of use in the rain! He always had a best cap for going out but then I had a great Uncle who had a Sunday best bicycle as well as one for the week!

Martyn

• Like 4

And, greetings from Dorset.

We're pitched on a farm that is right in the middle of the "clay belt", and the Furzebrook railway, 2'8" gauge, used to serve mines in the hills and woods all around.

'Secundus' is preserved locally now, but it was in the science museum at Birmingham for a long time, because it was built in Brum.

post-26817-0-70990500-1503654594_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-01460100-1503654612_thumb.png

post-26817-0-90170600-1503668903_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

You might leave home without a hat if it meant a free train ride. After all I only take my season ticket if I'm going on a train.

And get turned away because you are not accompanying a hat with a valid ticket?

Don

• Like 3

When I first worked in London in the late 1950s early 1960s, I was constantly forgetting my umbrella. But the kindly LT lost property ladies would always allow me to choose a replacement from their vast unclaimed stock.

dh

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

When I first worked in London in the late 1950s early 1960s, I was constantly forgetting my umbrella. But the kindly LT lost property ladies would always allow me to choose a replacement from their vast unclaimed stock.

dh

Did you ever get the same one back?

• Like 1

Had a family outing to Castle Acre today, so I took the precaution of taking the camera and taking some shots of things in the village.

We parked Dot outside the Dodo, and then went to the Castle, walked by the river to the ford (where about half a dozen of the village children were playing in the ford) and then up to the Priory, and then back to the Dodo for a Ginger Beer. Here are the photos, Dot in the foreground of the 1st one...

attachicon.gifP1130583.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130584.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130585.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130586.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130587.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130588.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130589.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130590.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130591.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130592.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130593.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130595.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130599.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130601.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130602.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130604.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130607.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130611.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130612.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130615.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130626.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130627.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130642.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130643.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130645.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130648.JPG

And when we walked back into the village we passed an antiquey place which had this in the window:

attachicon.gifP1130649.JPG

attachicon.gifP1130650.JPG

Andy G

Brilliant shots.  5 of those buildings are on the layout or in various stages of construction! 

• Like 4