the Victorian in me believes that those legs should be covered  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Nick

Ohhhhhhh!!!!!

You can see their ankles...... :O

I'd like to think that the ladies of 1905 had a slightly more modern perspective, though, to be in the safe side, I will not inform them of these subterranean improprieties!

The idea is to store boxes underneath the boards, so, in due course, curtains will be essential; it's the junk on top of the boards that should catch the eye, not the junk below!   

Very smart indeed.

But, why have you made it stand in the naughty corner?

Because it is the naughty corner, with at least two public houses planned, and because the other corner will be occupied by the parish church, so will have to be the 'saintly corner'.

• Like 3

The whole point of God is to have something to swear by!

Notice how we still tend to capitalise, despite....?

That's because God in this instance is a proper noun. The bearer of the name doesn't need to exist – after all we are happy t refer to Castle Aching... One can also refer to gods in a generic sense without using capital letters.

• RMweb Premium

The set of legs at the left hand end has a very nice diagonal brace on it, but is that really supposed to be on the outside of the board? Won't this stop the next board butting up snugly?

I'm disappointed that the legs are not barley twist ones to be honest....

Andy G

• Like 1

Let us remember, we are in Norfolk in 1905.  Most people are actively, rather than nominally, a member of a denomination and will attend Sunday worship. The Church of England plays a central role in village life, and the Rector's pastoral care extends beyond his own congregation to the whole parish.  

It being Norfolk then we must remember the good vicar of Stiffkey... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Davidson)  who usually left his parish on the first train out on a Monday, only returning on a Saturday evening train. He spent his week in London ministering to 'fallen women' - in those days before the little yellow signs it would appear that women were saved from trip hazards by the good reverend :angel: 

Some of his 'nieces' also appeared in Stiffkey as house guests, so scope for those Noch figures! :nono: 

Best wishes

Chris 

• Like 2

It being Norfolk then we must remember the good vicar of Stiffkey... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Davidson)  who usually left his parish on the first train out on a Monday, only returning on a Saturday evening train. He spent his week in London ministering to 'fallen women' - in those days before the little yellow signs it would appear that women were saved from trip hazards by the good reverend :angel:

Some of his 'nieces' also appeared in Stiffkey as house guests, so scope for those Noch figures! :nono:

Best wishes

Chris 

Indeed, Chris.  There is a good account in Ronald Blythe's The Age of Illusion. He is an interesting case, if only because his persistent denial of wrong-doing was so marked that he may even have persuaded himself!

Other dark doings in the Norfolk of the inter-war period concerned the gentry at Hillington Hall; Hillington being one of the villages that inspires CA, and the location of a pretty little M&GN station, next to a lovely 1850s carstone rag school house.

Prominent in the village is the gateway to Hillington Hall. The Hall itself was demolished in 1946.

Viscountess Downe of Hillington Hall was a fascist and admirer of Hitler, and she, it was, who was said to have recruited Henry Williamson (he of Tarka the Otter) to the British Union of Fascists.  Williamson was living in Stiffkey at the time.

Few, now, have even heard of the East Anglian "Tithe War" of the 1930s, supported by Mosely's fascists.

On the whole, I think I prefer the somewhat rose-tinted portrayal of Edwardian CA - my sanity depends on a good dose of escapist idealism these days. 

post-25673-0-01440700-1505632593.jpg

post-25673-0-84981300-1505632612_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-21032800-1505632865.jpg

post-25673-0-88559200-1505632886.jpg

post-25673-0-32638400-1505632902.jpg

post-25673-0-03269200-1505632954.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Have we talked about the Vicar of Stiffkey before? I'm sure I read about him recently and I can't imagine coming across him elsewhere.

Yes, and Hillington Hall!

I forget ...

The set of legs at the left hand end has a very nice diagonal brace on it, but is that really supposed to be on the outside of the board? Won't this stop the next board butting up snugly?

Andy G

Not when it's a piggy-back board.

The front left (station) board will have 4 legs.  The front right will piggy-back off this and the rear right (village) board, but, being 'L'-shaped, will probably get 3 legs, rather than 2.    

post-25673-0-10666100-1505651545_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-88849100-1505651629_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

James,

Your assumption about the prevalence of, usually Primitive, Methodist chapels in north Norfolk is correct. There were also a number of Quaker meeting houses, mostly in the towns: Wells still has an active Quaker house though most of the chapels have been sold off and converted into holiday homes or youth hostels. Catholics seem to be rather thinner on the ground and more recent arrivals – Walsingham apart. Blakeney has a newish Catholic church which looks rather like a generous double garage, as well as a still just about functioning Methodist chapel.

There is an excellent book on religious dissent in East Anglia edited by Tom Williamson and Norma Virgoe should you feel Castle Aching to be in dire need of a whiff of religious non-conformity...

I had forgotten about the Suffolk Tithe War. For once the BUF were on the right side. There are other connections with fascism in East Anglia in that one of the main financiers of Mosley was Henri Deterding of Kelling Hall. He was the man who engineered the merger between Royal Dutch and Shell oil companies. But I fear this is a digression too far!

I'm disappointed that the legs are not barley twist ones to be honest....

Andy G

Leads me to the thought that old table frames, got cheap from junk auctions, would make an excellent, stable and ready-made base for a permanent layout. Bit heavy for exhibition, but am I right that CA is not going out to shows?

• Like 2

James,

Your assumption about the prevalence of, usually Primitive, Methodist chapels in north Norfolk is correct. There were also a number of Quaker meeting houses, mostly in the towns: Wells still has an active Quaker house though most of the chapels have been sold off and converted into holiday homes or youth hostels. Catholics seem to be rather thinner on the ground and more recent arrivals – Walsingham apart. Blakeney has a newish Catholic church which looks rather like a generous double garage, as well as a still just about functioning Methodist chapel.

There is an excellent book on religious dissent in East Anglia edited by Tom Williamson and Norma Virgoe should you feel Castle Aching to be in dire need of a whiff of religious non-conformity...

I had forgotten about the Suffolk Tithe War. For once the BUF were on the right side. There are other connections with fascism in East Anglia in that one of the main financiers of Mosley was Henri Deterding of Kelling Hall. He was the man who engineered the merger between Royal Dutch and Shell oil companies. But I fear this is a digression too far!

I'll bear that book in mind, thank you.

I feel a non-conformist presence would be prototypical/representative, but bearing your comment in mind about the scarcity of Roman Catholic worshippers, I recall that it was a prominent Catholic family, like the Paston-Beddingfelds, that I had in mind.  In the case of the PBs, their community was not Roman Catholic, but remained Protestant, and the PBs had to build a big wall in the Eighteenth Century to keep them out! 

I would like a representative PM Chapel, but I am not sure that the planned developments leave room for one.

Leads me to the thought that old table frames, got cheap from junk auctions, would make an excellent, stable and ready-made base for a permanent layout. Bit heavy for exhibition, but am I right that CA is not going out to shows?

Good idea.

CA is planned to be reasonably easily broken up (we rent, so, it may not be in its final home), but has not been designed for exhibition attendance.  I daresay it could make the occasional outing, assuming nearby venue, van and operating team, but it certainly isn't designed for ease of disassembly-transport-re-assembly.

Frankly, a working layout at home that I need not be too embarrassed about was the height of my ambition when I started this, and that ambition is still to be realised!

• Like 4

The mention of the position of the bracing fouling a second board caused me to look at the legs ( it is not a fetish... honest! :nono: ) and noticed that there are no horizontal ties at low level between the back and front legs. As built there is nothing to stop the rear frame collapsing, given a determined push, quick kick low down..( back to ankles again.. sorry).. more likely if being moved or exhibited I agree! 

Unfortunately I don't think that you could alleviate your Chapel space problem with a "Tin Tabernacle" ..Just when did they first appear??    

Edited by DonB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now look here we are surely skating on thin ground here, baseboards are appearing, good God there may be track soon! It might take over from all the interesting chit chat. I am sure that over 200 pages before a single piece of rail has been laid is a record unlikely to be broken. I think it is down to the wonderful concept of the WNR and the delightful village of Castle Aching plus the steadfast determination of our host to get this built against personal difficulties ( lack of funds in the main I think) and the myriad attempts of the rest of us to divert him.

Personally I can wait to see the layout come to fruition and am delighted that we are nearing a major milestone. I do hope the bunting and cheering crowds are to hand.

Good work James

Don 

• Like 5

How about a small does of 'primitive' non conformism?

Martyn

Very nice, and at 1903, practically brand new!

The mention of the position of the bracing fouling a second board caused me to look at the legs ( it is not a fetish... honest! :nono: ) and noticed that there are no horizontal ties at low level between the back and front legs. As built there is nothing to stop the rear frame collapsing, given a determined push, quick kick low down..( back to ankles again.. sorry).. more likely if being moved or exhibited I agree! 

A number of modifications would need to be made if the layout was to be move around.

The main point of the design is that I can work on each of the 4 boards separately and indoors.  The boards will be attached to one another with roof bolts and wing nuts, and the legs sit in pockets built into the corners of the baseboard frames, so that the latter may simply be lifted free of the legs.

Whereas the baseboard frames are screwed and glued, the leg assemblies will unscrew at whatever point is necessary for them to be moved, if and when the location of the layout changes.

There is a big difference between a layout that is designed so that it may be moved, and one designed for exhibition use, and I did not have the necessary criteria for the latter in mind.

Unfortunately I don't think that you could alleviate your Chapel space problem with a "Tin Tabernacle" ..Just when did they first appear??    

I love Tin Tabernacles, and I think they've cropped up here in the past.  IIRC, they were produced from the mid-Nineteenth Century onward.  Given the right location, the date of 1905 is fine.

• Like 3

Now look here we are surely skating on thin ground here, baseboards are appearing, good God there may be track soon! It might take over from all the interesting chit chat. I am sure that over 200 pages before a single piece of rail has been laid is a record unlikely to be broken. I think it is down to the wonderful concept of the WNR and the delightful village of Castle Aching plus the steadfast determination of our host to get this built against personal difficulties ( lack of funds in the main I think) and the myriad attempts of the rest of us to divert him.

Personally I can wait to see the layout come to fruition and am delighted that we are nearing a major milestone. I do hope the bunting and cheering crowds are to hand.

Good work James

Don 

Ah, yes, track.  The bit I am dreading only slightly less than wiring and signalling!

Given how long the Promoters of the Line will have waited before seeing construction of the Permanent Way commence, I should think that the least they deserve is to have a little ceremony.  I daresay in the late '50s it would have been the present Lord Erstwhile's grandmother cutting the first s0d with a silver spade!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tin tabernacles were produced from the 1850s onwards, so that's fine for CA.

There will be a double one, on my model railway as there was one next to the railway in Ludgershall opened in 1904.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ludgershall_Mission_Hall,_Wiltshire

When I used it, it's outside was painted in military green, it was used as a military "soldiers welcome" during both world wars. These photos are just before it was replaced by a block built building on the same footprint.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I use Ikea's Ivar range (as also seen in the current MRJ). Saves a great deal of carpentry at the price of having to drive to and park at their Wembley store.

• Like 1

how about an Essex tin Tabernacle. This one is on the way to the fantastically named Chignal just outside Chelmsford. There are two Chignals, St James and Smealy. The Chignals are surprisingly remote considering their position. I have an Aunt and Uncle who still live there, when it snows it can be very difficult to get out.

Wasn't there a programme called Chignal, oh no that was Chigley!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I use a bit of ply about 6in deep as the lower cross member with two screws on each leg it avoids the need for a diagonal brace

post-8525-0-26812100-1293352226_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-55340700-1293352264_thumb.jpg

Don

edit The next boards are piggy backed and only need a single pair of legs
Edited by Donw
  • Like 3