Then another trick would be to pinch something when no ones looking and start running trains through it?attachicon.gifA6AD98FB-5315-42B0-8606-0DF36AB05632.jpeg

That is a splendidly nefarious idea.

Figuratively, if not literally, the West Norfolk has looted all sorts of stuff!

My thoughts are tending towards something like this, however  ....  What do we think?

post-25673-0-33688700-1512555400_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts are tending towards something like this, however  ....  What do we think?

If the shed on this side is for the loco, then water tower, dry sand storage, coaling stage. might be on the same line to the shed. If thats a good shed, it probably wouldn't have the ventilator.

Would they have put the bay windows upstairs if they couldn't be seen from the platform?. I've a feeling they'd have saved money on the the stuff that can't impress...

If the shed on this side is for the loco, then water tower, dry sand storage, coaling stage. might be on the same line to the shed. If thats a good shed, it probably wouldn't have the ventilator.

Would they have put the bay windows upstairs if they couldn't be seen from the platform?. I've a feeling they'd have saved money on the the stuff that can't impress...

It is the loco shed. It is open both ends. To the left of the view is the TT and stop blocks.  To the right is the ash pit and loco servicing.  It was my intention to site the water tank at the right hand end of the engine shed, precisely because of this, but when I drew the sketch, I inadvertently drew the gable on the right hand end of the shed and couldn't find a rubber, so drew the tank on the other end!

As for your question about bays/upper storey windows, these are not bay widows, they do not protrude.  They are dormers, but the platform face of Wateringbury is flush.  That is part of the reason for adopting it; it would allow the addition of a train shed, in place of the canopy on the prototype, and the arrangement at Alston includes dormers and first floor windows above the eaves of the train shed in much the same way. 

Probably the only necessary alteration to the platform façade in my Wateringbury plan, is the landing window, which would be bisected by the eaves line of the train shed, so I am thinking of dividing this into two windows.   

post-25673-0-23204100-1512557950_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-98598500-1512558023.jpg

post-25673-0-15533000-1512558115_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-82001200-1512558181.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Ah I'd interpreted the bit on the left as some sort of skylight not the water tank, Now you explain I can see it now, must get better glasses...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The water tank on the engine shed don’t quite go, as the building is integrated into a larger block, it would be better as a separate structure. Here’s one to match in with the gothic (?) station building (fromIreland, Athy on Dublin Waterford run):post-26540-0-02297400-1512559828_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

One decision you have to make is whether or not to opt for what Pevsner termed 'the English Additive Plan' as a realistic Anglo Saxon scaling down* of the Continental overall 'Master Plan' concept.

Your sketch (and the photos of the model) show an admirable attempt at architectural composition - an overall grouping all the pre-identified elements of the WNR head quarters.

Many train sheds are clearly later additions to an initially carefully considered 'cottage ornee' design.

Sadly many (often former Midland) stations had their carefully integrated gabled canopies ripped off them in the 1960s

dh

*a sort of Brexit prequel .

Edit: forgot to insert 'whether or not to'

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3

apropos water towers :

I've said it before, wouldn't it be romantic if there was a bit of surviving Mediaeval flint masonry wall turret in the yard that could afford a platform for the WNR water tank.

Anyone familiar with the Georgian house fronts built into the ruined west front of the former Abbey at St Edmundsbury ?

dh

Ed link added

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

One decision you have to make is whether or not to opt for what Pevsner termed 'the English Additive Plan' as a realistic Anglo Saxon scaling down* of the Continental overall 'Master Plan' concept.

Your sketch (and the photos of the model) show an admirable attempt at architectural composition - an overall grouping all the pre-identified elements of the WNR head quarters.

Many train sheds are clearly later additions to an initially carefully considered 'cottage ornee' design.

Sadly many (often former Midland) stations had their carefully integrated gabled canopies ripped off them in the 1960s

dh

*a sort of Brexit prequel .

Edit: forgot to insert 'whether or not to'

I will need to make some minor alterations to Wateringbury's platform façade in order to accommodate the train shed.  There will have to be some rationalisation of the eaves and window heights on the ground floor, but the only major change would be to divide the window to the stair-well.  Interestingly, Wateringbury in the form I am considering includes an extension.  I will try to make the train shed and the station blend!

The water tank on the engine shed don’t quite go, as the building is integrated into a larger block, it would be better as a separate structure. Here’s one to match in with the gothic (?) station building (fromIreland, Athy on Dublin Waterford run):attachicon.gifEF6D9AB9-1B8A-4715-A831-BC5187D5BC21.jpeg

Well now, I confess that there are a few stations with this arrangement - train shed linking station building to engine shed - but they tend not to have the tank on the roof of the engine shed, so far as I have seen.

As a consequence, my alternative proposal was to have the tank built onto the front of the shed, or freestanding next to it, and I have left a little apron of land in case I want to add a tower for the tank and/or a coach-body bothy in this location.

Now, I do like your Irish example from Athy very much, and it would match the style well.

Examples of the tank-tower to one side include both Alston and Piel, as well as one of your suggestions that I have not yet commented upon, but which I really like, Langholm. 

post-25673-0-52501400-1512562399.jpg

post-25673-0-01985800-1512562409.jpg

post-25673-0-70391300-1512562514_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-16620800-1512562775.jpg

post-25673-0-98600900-1512562783.jpg

• Like 5

I realise you want a singe-platform station, but have you considered elements of Richmond?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/richmond/

Alternatively perhaps, especially because it has an open sided shed, Hornsea?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hornsea_town/

Thanks for these.

I am very familiar with Richmond's train shed; it is, inter alia, my local cinema!

The whole range of buildings at Richmond were, and to the extent they have survived, are, stunning. 

I had not considered it for my own use because it is 1840s and a very distinctive style. Also, I think I would prefer to model the stout wooden beams of, say, Wick's train shed, to the intricacies of Richmond's, but, yes, it is a fine, fine building. 

Hornsea I was not familiar with.  It looks rather similar to Cromer Beach. 

post-25673-0-68110200-1512566259.jpg

post-25673-0-00081300-1512566285.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for these.

I am very familiar with Richmond's train shed; it is, inter alia, my local cinema!

The whole range of buildings at Richmond were, and to the extent they have survived, are, stunning. 

I had not considered it for my own use because it is 1840s and a very distinctive style. Also, I think I would prefer to model the stout wooden beams of, say, Wick's train shed, to the intricacies of Richmond's, but, yes, it is a fine, fine building. 

Ah yes, Richmond station... Ace cinema with a not bad brewery attached!

Hornsea was typical of the later NER trainshed of the 1860s – though I believe also designed by G T Andrews.

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1

Gormenghast?

Not far from Richmond, London, which does still have some nice Victorian awanings on the TfL platforms, is Ealing Broadway, where the TfL terminal platforms still have a very good overall roof. In fact, TfL has some of the best looked-after smaller stations in general, and with overall roofs in particular. Praed Street at Paddington, for instance, for the traditional, or either end of the Piccadilly for moderne. (Bit of ex-professional pride creeping in!).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

I'll tell you where's got a lovely train shed ... and quite an impressive station building as well ... and it's still there ... and there are drawings of it ... Richmond (the North Yorkshire version, not the one down in that there London).

richmond(colourrail1963)old5.jpg

You've not been keeping up, have you?!?

I realise you want a singe-platform station, but have you considered elements of Richmond?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/richmond/

Alternatively perhaps, especially because it has an open sided shed, Hornsea?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hornsea_town/

Thanks for these.

And who can blame you!

Lovely picture of Richmond, there.

I love the serpentine seat at Hornsea.

According to the North Eastern Record, Vol.1:

The most common form of moveable seats were made of two wooden planks - one for the seat and one for the backrest - supported between cast iron brackets, either in the form of rusticated bearers or serpents.  

West Norfolk Dodo bench ends, anyone?

post-25673-0-18691200-1512582393_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Not far from Richmond, London, which does still have some nice Victorian awanings on the TfL platforms, is Ealing Broadway, where the TfL terminal platforms still have a very good overall roof. In fact, TfL has some of the best looked-after smaller stations in general, and with overall roofs in particular. Praed Street at Paddington, for instance, for the traditional, or either end of the Piccadilly for moderne. (Bit of ex-professional pride creeping in!).

Very nice ...

post-25673-0-78364300-1512583980.jpg

post-25673-0-89211800-1512584008_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-05900100-1512584238.jpg

post-25673-0-27583600-1512584280.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Don’t think much of where they have placed the director’s chair: he’ll get run over, there.

Is that what they mean by the “Director’s Cut”?

Edited by Regularity