• RMweb Premium

Wonder if Lord Erstwhile would have worn a Gay Pride badge whilst showing folks round? With you you all the way, Hroth, re Dingle station. You got out in a dingy damp brick tunnel onto a dimly lit island platform, and it was best to get straight back on the next one out for Seaforth. I seem to remember the place was signalled by lower quadrant signals, too?

Excitement today at CA as Eveleigh Creations new 4mm scale etches for the three GER 4-wheelers (4-Compt. First, 5-Compt.Third and 2-Compt. Brake Third) arrived.

A first foray into the joys of etched brass construction!

post-25673-0-39711000-1531925530_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-69788000-1531925773_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-41493400-1531925844_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Excitement today at CA as Eveleigh Creations new 4mm scale etches for the three GER 4-wheelers (4-Compt. First, 5-Compt.Third and 2-Compt. Brake Third) arrived.

They look smart, James. Good luck! Look forward to the results!

• RMweb Premium

As someone who has made very slow progress with brass kits, may I earnestly suggest that you have a first go on something flat-sided and with fewer windows - a van or horsebox of some sort. Once you're happy with that, start reading up on the one-hundred-and-one ways of forming the tumblehome, practice some of them on scrap sheet brass, and when you've found one that works for you, LET ME KNOW!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Give the back a good polish with emery paper before you start breaking bits off. The compo looks about the best to try first. You might like to think about getting some brass strip for a floor, too?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excitement today at CA as Eveleigh Creations new 4mm scale etches for the three GER 4-wheelers (4-Compt. First, 5-Compt.Third and 2-Compt. Brake Third) arrived.

You're a braver man than I am, Gunga din.

Nortroader

The LOR was one of the first lines to have automated signalling, in the 1880s I think but may be wrong, using, as you say, LQ semaphores.

Dingle station also had the misfortune to be the place where a very nasty, electrically initiated, fire occurred, which was a big factor in popularising proper multiple-unit control of trains, rather than the very dodgy direct control based on tram technology that was used to allow driving from both ends before.

So it might be closed, but it is important to railway electricians.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I would recommend reading up this as a good start point http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/   Building Coaches the Comet Way as suggested on the Worsley Works  site  and start with something simple like a van or wagon

Nick

Hi,

Have a look at the following link   http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/coach_building.htm, which should assist.

Have a look at multi temperature soldering irons (Aldi/Lidl have them at some time of the year)

A good thing to have is a steel plate, with an aluminium angle on one side - the you can solder two  pieces at 90 degrees to each other, can a friend make on for you?? 

Clean the brass with 'shiny sinks' from the supermarket - brass can get an oxide on it

Solder at the top and bottom then the centre always checking that the join is correct, then you can fill in the gaps.

:Looking at your kits , I would separate the roof from the sides, the the body can be assembled, and the (part?)partitions added to stiffen the body.- make from plasticard perhaps?

As suggested practice (on the bits at the edges of the etch), having cut them off to start with, 

Best of luck, and don't  burn your fingers!

Roll the roof with a piece of plastic water pipe om some old carpet and really the edge needs thickening. Practice with 20 thou plasticard, the radii is not very much. Ditto the tumblehome at the bottom of the sides. .

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

• RMweb Premium

My first etched brass kit was a Lochgorm 6wh HR road van. I attacked it just as the instructions said, using nothing more than my normal 25W soldering iron and lead electrical solder. I just made sure that the brass was clean, and it all went together as planned. The roof was formed by drawing it over the edge of the booking desk in the box (which is where most modelling happens) and it came out very well.

Just take your time, and I find that if you have a break of about five mins every 45mins (or get up and answer the bells and swing the crossing gates, watch the train through the section, swing the gates again and sit back down), that you return refreshed to do a bit more.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The best non-underground underground railway was the Liverpool Overhead Railway....

Yay!  A Non-Grouping railway  too!!!

The southern end crossed the Cheshire Lines Brunswick goods yard and burrowed into a sandstone cliff, terminating at Dingle station.  It was intended to go further but funds didn't allow.

attachicon.gifLOR Tunnel Mouth.jpg

attachicon.gifLOR Dingle.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98293-herculaneum-dock/?hl=herculaneum

So it looks like that extended tutorial on soldered brass etch rolling stock construction with Rob Pelham have loosened the purse strings of the WNR :

First Class Indeed !

Ah! Very sentimental about that pic of the tunnel entrance to the Dingle terminus of the LOR. It gives a brief glimpse of the row of Grafton Street houses above; No. 469 Grafton St, L'pool 8 was the first house we ever owned - purchased cash for the princely sum of £700 in 1964 by selling wife's Mini Morris Minor.

post-21705-0-42178000-1532214138.jpg

We could lie in bed on a Sunday morning and enjoy an unobstructed view across to the Welsh Hills and Moel Famau.  In Herculaneum Dock way below, the Kelly boats came and went at high tide transporting coal to Ireland.

dh

Ed: pic of Herculaneum added

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 14

I was fortunate to get away with a solemn promise 'never to drag me into that sort of day out again'!

Reminds me of a holiday we had in Stresa on Lake Maggiore when my wife was pregnant with our first child.  We caught a steamer across the lake to Laveno, whence we caught the Ferrovie Nord Milano train to Varese.  I suggested we travel in one particular car of the electric train, but was not popular when (after the train had started) I explained my reason, which was that it was one of the 1920s riveted vehicles, still unmodernised and retaining its original features, particularly the wooden seats...

• Like 1

Goodness me.  Currently running on just 3 hours' sleep, so will be brief.  Thanks for all your support.

The Boy was admitted to hospital last night.  He had a fever, with temperature exceeding 40 degrees at times, and an agonising headache. Tonsillitis seems to be an opportunist add-on, but what is really wrong with him?

The last 24-hours have been like living inside an episode of House, with all manner of Consultants, scans and tests, punctuated by the odd crisis.  Twice his blood pressure has dived to worryingly low levels.  An anaesthetist was called to consider inducing a coma.

Re-hydration seem to have restored blood pressure, the fever has been kept in check and, this afternoon the morphine drip finally reduced the head pain sufficiently to allow him to sleep (he's been doing a lot of screaming).   

Until the cultures are ready, the diagnosis is in abeyance, but the current suspects are viral meningitis and encephalitis. 

Both are treatable conditions, however unpleasant, but it has taken the hospital staff a lot of hard work, devotion and skill to manage his condition and get things under some sort of control.

I cannot praise highly enough the professionalism and compassion by all the staff at Darlington Memorial, for which we are very grateful. 

The poor chap is suffering terribly, and will continue to do so for sometime. Tabitha has been very supportive and his girl friend is a constant strength and support to him. 

The Memsahib is taking night duty again, so the rest of us will be getting an early start and I will relieve the Mem around 6 tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know when more is known.

Best wishes all.

Having a granddaughter who was born with a serious liver disease, underwent a major (10hr) operation at 6 weeks and then a liver transplant at 6 months, I fully empathise with you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.

Jim

PS. Before anyone asks, she's now 8 and doing very well.  She'll be taking part in the British Transplant Games in Birmingham on the weekend after next.

• Like 7

Goodness me.  Currently running on just 3 hours' sleep, so will be brief......

The Boy was admitted to hospital last night.  He had a fever, with temperature exceeding 40 degrees at times, and an agonising headache....

The Memsahib is taking night duty again, so the rest of us will be getting an early start and I will relieve the Mem around 6 tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know when more is known.

Very shocked to read this James.

I think we have all been anxious about an uncharacteristic lack of activity on CA,

The Memsahib is proving once again a doughty wife and mum in emergency. You are all in our thoughts.

dh

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear of your sons troubles a very trying time for you all. The only thing I can say is it  is often emergencies that bring out the best in the NHS. Our youngest  Great Nephew was born at 24 weeks had three ops including a heart op in the next 6 weeks but is now  8 months old and doing well.

Don