Poor horse. Seeing that one is moved to wonder if the boys on top are passengers or luggage?

Discussion of trains is suspended for holiday engineering?

• Boys on top go free?
  • Trains may appear, but they will be unexpected amongst the general insanity of the Holiday period...

Perhaps we could model the prototype over-run and extend the frivolity to the 7th?

• RMweb Premium

Poor horse. Seeing that one is moved to wonder if the boys on top are passengers or luggage?

It's a two-horse bus, the feet of the other horse are just visible, so that load wouldn't be too much. I see no sign of ropes or straps, so the boys must be there to hold it all on.

• RMweb Premium

While the web was down being sabotaged by Ukrainian crooks yesterday, I took refuge in the French equivalent, as you do. Here’s one I really liked, so instead of East Anglian drill halls, here’s an Italian monastery.http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77139&start=255

(Sorry, James, split second timing there!)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 7

Once again one 'Craftsmanship/clever' is not enough!!!

That's a beautiful monastery model.  Just the thing to divert the eye as trains disappear through the tunnel to 'the rest of the world'.

Jim

While the web was down being sabotaged by Ukrainian crooks yesterday, I took refuge in the French equivalent, as you do. Here’s one I really liked, so instead of East Anglian drill halls, here’s an Italian monastery.http://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77139&start=255

Looks just like those you see in the helicopter shots of Sicily at the start of Montalbano.  Almost expected to see his gleaming dome there, or at least a ratty Fiat Tipo....

• RMweb Premium

Since had another look, and I see it isn’t a monastery as I first thought, but one of those little hill top villages they have. There’s quite a few pages on it as you go back, and I like the way he coped with fitting all the irregular shapes together. Carving all that stonework would drive me dooally, though, stick to printed paper?

• Like 3

That is stunning, and puts my rather paltry efforts to shame.  Good to see such fine work.

I like the arcading. May I ask if you drew it out by hand?

Oh yes, all by hand.

I confess, I am quite pleased with the way the wall has turned out.

On this section, it is the roof that is likely to present the greatest challenge. 

How do we think the roof would have been supported?  The Norwich drill hall had metal arcs, but was a far larger structure. I was thinking in terms of a more traditional arrangement.  I quite like the one Runs As Required came up with (if I can find it).

There should be a clerestory roof (just to add to the fun).

post-25673-0-28771200-1546252713_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-70205300-1546252937.jpg

• Like 8

How wide is the hall? Lincoln's drill hall had/ has iron frames to support the roof: https://www.lincolndrillhall.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Stage-View.jpg And because it's now an auditorium the seating provides a useful indicator of scale.

30' (x60')

I like the Lincoln idea. 

I misinterpreted the interior view of Norwich; these are in fact curved wooden beams. 

post-25673-0-59201000-1546255918.jpg

post-25673-0-32028500-1546256126.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

The bottom photo, showing the curve of the trusses, makes this a pretty unusual structure. I'm surprised it didn't get 'listed'.

Has anyone else seen that sort of structure in timber, from the relevant period?

Ive a feeling I've been to a trade exhibition at some sort of large hall on the NE edge of the City of London that might fit the description, but not another. The German Gymnasium next to Kings Cross station has a very interesting roof, composite iron and timber, but its not the same as the photo above.

Edited by Nearholmer

Very helpful, thank you.

I interpret the troops as rifle volunteers, clothed in grey, rather than Militia, who would resemble regular army infantry in appearance. I see the tunic and trousers as intended to appear the same colour; I would have expected some contrast if the artist were depicting red tunics and dark blue trousers.

They wear the kepi-like shako that was worn by the infantry post-Crimea until replaced by the home service spiked helmet in the 1870s. I have a feeling it was called the Albert Shako. 

The belts are black leather, as opposed to white, which is typical of a rifle corps. 

Most interestingly, it looks as if they have a standard, here lowered. I would have doubted that the rifle volunteers would have been granted colours, but there you are.  The Inns of Court Regiment had infantry colours, having said that, but, then, the Devil's Own, raised in the 1790s, were/are not a typical unit by any means. 

post-25673-0-60545100-1546276885.jpg

post-25673-0-89843800-1546276934.jpg

post-25673-0-75229800-1546276951_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

May I wish all the members of CA Parish Council a Guid New Year full of productive modelling.  We will be leaving shortly to go up to the Corn Exchange in the High Street for the lighting of the bonfire.

Jim

Its certainly a Biggar bonfire!

Have fun!