• RMweb Gold

And before that Telford put the A5 through Shrewsbury Abbey with the result that the lectern from the Refectory is now in the area formerly occupied by the Abbey station, on the other side of the road from the rest of the Abbey.

I heard this week incidentally that a new model railway society has been formed with its base in the old Potts station building.

York of course is the other famous city where the railway breached the city wall.

But many towns lost their city walls long before the railway arrived.

A nice model nevertheless.

Jonathan

I agree that the standard of modelling looks good.

• RMweb Gold

Northampton, having shod the New Model Army, had its once important castle (favourite to the Plantagenets) reduced to an unusable state after the Stewart Restoration.

In 1859, the LNWR built a small branchline up to Market Harborough, and built a small halt at West Bridge near the old castle.

With the building of the LNWR/GNR joint line, gaining the LNWR access (partly through running powers) to the Nottinghamshire coalfield and the desire to quadruple the WCML from Bletchley to Rugby, but to avoid the problems at Kilsby tunnel, the “Northampton Loop” was created. Unfortunately, the only place in Northampton for the station was the remains of the old castle. There were objections, but the lasting impact of Euston is that the castle is no more and the medieval significance of the town is almost completely overlooked.

The Friends of Northampton Castle have an interesting website: https://www.northamptoncastle.com

• RMweb Gold

Its not the plausibility of trains running through castles that I'm querying, its the structural stability of the arch.

The castle looks vaguely Windsorish to me.

I have seen an arch with a dentil course but it had the full depth arch as the structural bit behind. Not much use having an arch which relies on the pressure between adjacent stones when ther are gaps between them.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I think it would be best if we avoided politics. In particular making sweeping comments about other peoples voting choices it is so easy to offend. Criticisng the recipients of those votes is fair game although I do wonder if Trump doesn't take a perverse delight in being hated by so many.

Surely agruing whether Climate change is man made or natural misses the point. It is rather like agrung that a fire was natural and not started by a match whilst still adding wood to the fire. Pehaps if the US finds the cost of natural disasters rising they may change their mind.

Don

With the Drill Hall, I feel rather like Pope Julius II did on the subject of his interior decorator. Unfortunately, I am my own Michelangelo here, so the question "when will you make an end?" is purely rhetorical.

Some further progress. 

I've started painting the occupants, and the hall now has a floor and some beams!

You can clearly see the section of original castle wall utilised in the Victorian structure.  

post-25673-0-68041900-1547368962_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-74082300-1547369057_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-22853400-1547369121_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-22915400-1547369165_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-64241500-1547369271_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

"Gentlemen, Please.

Thank you!"

Missenden returned to his seat. (Yet again!)

Indeed. After a good nights sleep I have chosen to remove all my posts concerning politics as they are not welcome here.

I hope other members of the parish council will do likewise.

James - a very well timed set of superb pictures to steer the meeting back on course. I especially like the noticeboard; its the little details that count.

Edited by Martin S-C

With the Drill Hall, I feel rather like Pope Julius II did on the subject of his interior decorator. Unfortunately, I am my own Michelangelo here, so the question "when will you make an end?" is purely rhetorical.

Some further progress. 

I've started painting the occupants, and the hall now has a floor and some beams!

You can clearly see the section of original castle wall utilised in the Victorian structure.  

Ruddy Marvellous!

I'm looking forward to seeing the roof, and yes, it should be removable.  or at least hinged along one edge so it can be propped up in the manner of a car bonnet so visitors can peer inside.

I won't say more, it'll sound like envious gushing......   :jester:

Stephenson ran the Chester and Holyhead through the angle of the Chester city walls to cross the River Dee.

attachicon.gif110818_GM_43062_Chester_Walls_NMT.JPG

Wouldn't get away with such wholesale destruction today, but anything goes on a pre-grouping railway!

attachicon.gifChesterparkingMap.jpg

Map showing route through walls past Roodee and through Water Tower Gardens

(Image source: http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1108d.htm )

My September 1966 photo from the same spot:

post-1156-0-12195400-1547388877.jpg

These were taken from the city walls. The Black 5 has just 'cut the corner' of the walls by passing through 2 sections of them & is about to pass under Canal Street bridge. A short distance beyond the bridge the train will enter Northgate Street Tunnel. A photo from Canal Street looking back to where I'm standing would be interesting - anybody?

Martin

• Like 2

My September 1966 photo from the same spot:

attachicon.gifchester002.jpg

These were taken from the city walls. The Black 5 has just 'cut the corner' of the walls by passing through 2 sections of them & is about to pass under Canal Street bridge. A short distance beyond the bridge the train will enter Northgate Street Tunnel. A photo from Canal Street looking back to where I'm standing would be interesting - anybody?

Martin

I should have some, but god knows where the negs are, let alone the prints!

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work on the drill hall James. I like the touch of using a bit of the castle wall. Even if you glue the roof on, these days you can get hold of endoscopes which plug in the USB port so you could get photos of the inside.

Don