At the risk of seeming Texan-style boastful about how big some  bits of  Australia can be,  we have a cemetery that had 4 railway stations in it....

( and yes, as per the  'Red Back Spider',  'Great Barrier Reef', 'Locomotive No 1' and so on Australian naming convention they were called 'Cemetery Station No 1', 'no 2' etc etc...)

https://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/2012/07/08/rookwood-necropolis-railway-lidcombe-nsw/

Edited by monkeysarefun

At the risk of seeming Texan-style boastful about how big some  bits of  Australia can be,  we have a cemetery that had 4 railway stations in it....

( and yes, as per the  'Red Back Spider',  'Great Barrier Reef', 'Locomotive No 1' and so on Australian naming convention they were called 'Cemetery Station No 1', 'no 2' etc etc...)

https://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/2012/07/08/rookwood-necropolis-railway-lidcombe-nsw/

Now this is the Goth layout to end all Goth layouts., A whole railway system inside a cemetery.

• Like 2

We had a cemetery with two railway stations in it, so there!

9.jpg

And ours had the advantage of being home to LSWR locos!

platform.jpg

Also, is it just me who thinks the LNR station at Waterloo would make an interesting micro-layout?

3983CD1800000578-3851854-image-a-12_1477

• Like 6

Also, is it just me who thinks the LNR station at Waterloo would make an interesting micro-layout?

Its probably just you....

A gloomy sort of place, the chap on the right seems to be contemplating using the "facility" himself.

If they had first and third class accomodation for the mourners, did they also have first and third class hearse vans?

And what about ticketing?  I suppose the coffin was always a single ticket, rather than a return...

9.jpg

platform.jpg

Beaten to it .... Miss LMS of this parish says .. "Oh not forgetting I'm now taking over the NECROPOLIS layout, that will be a challenge! smile.gif" edit see old RMweb  http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=16883

Edited by DonB
  • Like 2

It would be an easy layout in some senses, because there is so much published information, including quite detailed drawings of the station, but what a morbid subject.

I’ve contemplated making a hearse-van or two to go with my LSWR train, but haven’t bothered for the same reason.

One of the substations that I used to have business at backs onto the site, with access up a flight of iron stairs from street level, where the station was, and it always seemed a gloomy spot, permanently in deep shade, even in high summer.

Substation visible in this post-bombing picture, on the LHS, built for the LSWR, and still (twice re-equipped) in use.

post-26817-0-07203900-1548080664_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

The frontage is still there too. The railway features in the first book of Andrew Martin's Jim Stringer railway detective series (appropriately titled "The Necropolis Railway"), which I can highly recommend for those looking for some late Victorian/Edwardian atmosphere.

Edited for inability to type.

post-25126-0-82597900-1548086404.jpg

Edited by Jim15B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We have a cemetery station on Copenhagen Fields just before Gasworks Tunnel. The front entrance is not modelled because there is not a photograph of it.

Now someone prove me wrong!

Tim

• Like 1

We have a cemetery station on Copenhagen Fields just before Gasworks Tunnel. The front entrance is not modelled because there is not a photograph of it.

Now someone prove me wrong!

Tim

I have recently watched a few videos of Copenhagen Field on Youtube, following on from one you linked IIRC, and was really pleased to spot what I thought was the GN cemetery station, later confirmed by the commentary. 

• Like 1

I think one (or one’s surviving family) bought a ‘package deal’ covering collection from place of decease, right through to interment, including rail transport for one deceased and up to X mourners. There were three (edited from two - there were only two coffin vans though) basic classes, but also variants by faith and denomination, and ‘mourner only’ tickets were available for ‘add ons’.

Dogs, bicycles, and perambulators? Who knows!

Dogs have their own cemeteries; bicycles and perambulators ........

Edited by Nearholmer

Is there any instance of a railway serving several necropoleis?

The Mortuary Station at Sydney Central station ran trains to Rookwood Cemetery, Woranora Cemetery in the South of Sydney and Sandgate Cemetery up at Newcastle (thats Newcastle in NSW, not your one - when we aren't naming things bleedingly obvious we use names pinched from the UK).

post-22541-0-47793400-1548096206_thumb.jpg

post-22541-0-64545200-1548096177.jpg

• Like 4

The dangers of Ebay.

I think I obtained a good buy with the Ilfracombe Goods.  At what I considered a keen 'buy it now' price, I did not have time to study the model.

The wheels are too large and the wheelbase is too long and I would not be surprised to find that the body was a little stretched. Had I wanted a straight model of (0)394, it could have proved a case of buying in haste and repenting at leisure.

As it is, because I already owned a working IG chassis dimensionally correct and accurate in detail, it has worked out well for me.  The Barnstaple Town project has gained a tender to go with the loco chassis, and the newly purchased RTR IG needs almost no alteration, beyond a clack valve and pipe on one side, and a new tender, which, in line with the majority of WNR tender engines, can be 4-wheeled. 

"OO GAUGE M & G N RLY 4-4-2T LOCOMOTIVE NO 41"

A kind and thoughtful parishioner pointed me to an OO gauge M&GN tank.  I am grateful, and will continue to welcome all such tips, nods and winks.

I have decided not to bid for this one, however, because it is not, so far as I can tell, sufficiently accurate. 

Like all pretty things, it's very tempting (and will no doubt sell for a handsome sum), but there are issues!

The kind parishioner has received poor thanks in the form of a lecture on No.41 of the Class A Tank, but as it's been an instructive exercise, for me, assessing this model, I thought I might post my conclusions on CA!

Dangerously on topic, I realise, but still.

Three were built of this home-grown class; No.41 in 1904, No.20 in 1909 and finally No.9 in 1910.  Only the 1904 engine is of interest to me, as CA is notionally set in 1905, and this is what the Ebay model represents.  

I only have a picture and drawing of No.41 in her as built 1904 state.  That would have been perfect and I have been considering this very loco for CA in due course.  At a 29' wheelbase, no problem running round or turning at CA.

Looking at the model, the pictures of which are copyright of the seller and obviously used here for the purpose of this academic assessment, the tablet apparatus makes it 1907 onward. The extended smokebox on the model makes it 1910 at the earliest, but Essery says that the safety valves were uncovered at this stage. On the model they remain covered, as built.

Having said that, I don't have a picture of No.41 in that condition and could be prepared to accept the combination of features and allow 'out of period' running. 

There is an obvious dimensional error, however.  The smokebox saddle side is too high at the front and fails to extend sufficiently to the rear of the steam pipe, though notice that on one side it extends slightly rear of the pipe, but on the other not at all; the model appears skew-whiff here.  

Again, I might be tempted to overlook, or try to fix.

It might be that there are other problems with the dimensions, not obvious until too late!  The steps are hardly spot on, for example.  Comparing the picture and drawing of the prototype with the model, something in the overall proportions looks out to me. With Ebay locos you never know what compromises are made with wheel diameter, wheelbase, or body dimensions, and detail and livery are often inaccurate. 

The decisive problem here is the livery.  The main attraction of this model is its attractive yellow livery, applied here to a reasonable standard. However, the lining is spaced far too far from the edges, so the border round it is noticeably too wide.  Further, the bunker lining, following Great Western practice(!), should continue round the rear of the bunker, not form separate panels as on the model.

The most obvious issue, however, is that the initials did not appear on this class while they wore the "light brown"/"golden gorse"/yellow livery.  The initials belong on this class to the dark brown livery applied from 1929.

In the yellow livery, the three Class A Tanks had MIDLAND & GREAT NORTHERN in an arc below which was the crest, surrounded by a decorative border, as per the prototype works picture below. 

Think of this model stripped down for a complete repaint, necessary to correct it. It won't, I suspect, appear worth what someone less knowledgeable or fastidious is about to pay for it. 

post-25673-0-84562700-1548151851_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-13558200-1548151867_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-84874100-1548153055_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-95277600-1548153120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking at it against the drawing, I think that the steam pipe on the offside has been put on too far back. The cylinders appear to be too long too (maybe to take up the piston rod excess travel from the wrong crank throw?). The smokebox would cut back fairly easily I would guess, but that bit of framing beneath it is far too big, and could be difficult to sort out.

As you say, pretty, but possibly costly to purchase and then butcher....

Andy G

How about CA having a Warren Lodge, out on the heath, beyond the village? I’d never heard of these mini-castles until this discussion started.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/thetford-warren-lodge/history/rabbits-warreners/

Few Warreners' cottages were as palatial as that – and none of them were anywhere near other human habitation. There was once a cottage, converted from a small medieval chapel or anchorite's cell, on the Cley marshes. It is depicted on a map of 1586 a small section of which is attached...

post-1971-0-82868000-1548154812_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The original warreners house was the defendable square tower in the middle, as a representative of the local  Norman lord, he was a hated man. It only later became a lower status job manned by locals.. 

It's quite possible the additional buildings were manned by gamekeepers or the like..

• Like 1

The original warreners house was the defendable square tower in the middle, as a representative of the local  Norman lord, he was a hated man. It only later became a lower status job manned by locals.. 

It's quite possible the additional buildings were manned by gamekeepers or the like..

Norman Yoke! Norman Yoke!

post-25673-0-60310500-1548156794_thumb.jpg

• Like 6