Have you seen the many pictures of the HM&ST during very high tides (= floods)?

Your scene immediately put me in mind of them. What about some sort of building, standing on ground c6ft below the embankment upon which runs you’re Railway, with only the very tops of the doors and then the upper storey above water, and the salty old sea do who lives there being rescused from the roof by his mate in a rowing boat?

05E93C32-4F35-4B25-8C17-9E9CCAB5BF2A.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7

Hi all

*is shellshocked*

Whats all this activity streams malarkey? I just want to see the followed threads again. Gah. Humbug.

EDIT: I was going to remark that with the new roundy avatars my cap fits artfully against the curve but Nearholmers fits even better!

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It is.

its just that the water has risen level with the top of the embankment.

I could model flooded track...

I am trying to think of ways to allow this to represent Southern England, Northern France, Belgium and the Netherlands in one layout, with removable country-specific structures.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My contribution to the Not-RMWEb modelling challenge, photographed at 2.00 pm yesterday. It is now complete except for about 300 ten thou plastic cubes and the brake lever and guide, which will be added last. In fact I had the sides and ends cut out and most of the components assembled, as it was already next on the list after a 2-plank dropside wagon from the same company. However, it certainly got "finished" rather quicker than it would have done without the RMWb update. For those of you are wondering what place a Cumbrian wagon has in South Wales, the story is that it is delivering some machinery to the mine from a Cumbrian engineering company. I am sure the erudite members of this forum will know what name i shall be putting on the packing case.

Jonathan

PICT0002.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

I am trying to think of ways to allow this to represent Southern England, Northern France, Belgium and the Netherlands in one layout, with removable country-specific structures.

The floods can come from your activity stream, and this should enhance your community reputation. (Dig me and my grasp of new threadspeak)

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I must confess apart from some timbers added to the CA turnouts on wednesday there has been no modelling done. I have been busy refurbishing a bathroom and yesterday we had a lot of snow. It was rather we snow and fairly new shrubs and trees were bowed down with the wet heavy snow. Having seen lots of trees with snapped branches last time we had that sort of snow, I was outside about 11pm in the blizzard shaking snow of the shrubs and trees. It does seem to have worked.  There was a lot of clearing paths and spaces for the birds this morning. I shall be glad to find time for some modelling.

Hope all are well 

Don 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

The board for Midsomer Brevis is multi-purpose, the card substrates that the "scenery" is built on is intended to be swappable, so I can have a GWR Twiglet, a home for my fleet of Terriers, and "Sur Le Continong".....

Its a hard working 4x2 layout!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Incidently I seem to have lost the option to my content or has it just forgotten all the content I have added. It does mean I  will have difficulty finding the things I am interested in. 

Don

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

restoring all the pictures manually is rather wearing. I'd only managed 20 pages (out of 651) before losing the will to live. 

James,

I think this is an issue that it going to resolve itself over time as the site re-indexes. Let the software sort it out.

I won't go into my opinions on the upgrade though, my account says I have no warning strikes, lets keep it that way!!

Gary

PS. Am I the only one that hasn't done any modelling while RMWeb has been down??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I must confess, restoring all the pictures manually is rather wearing. I'd only managed 20 pages (out of 651) before losing the will to live.  Like many "improvements" or "upgrades", this one does not seem to have been an unqualified success!   

So, in the meantime, here is a shot from June 2017, representing as far as I have progressed with the village.  It is a little dispiriting to think that no modelling of buildings took place after this until the Drill Hall was started last September. The scene was dismantled without any further progress made. I think I must get back to the village soon. 

I agree Edwardian, having only just looked at one post! But I quite like this update.  

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

James,

I think this is an issue that it going to resolve itself over time as the site re-indexes. Let the software sort it out.

I won't go into my opinions on the upgrade though, my account says I have no warning strikes, lets keep it that way!!

Gary

PS. Am I the only one that hasn't done any modelling while RMWeb has been down??

Thanks, Gary

As I struggle to find time to model during the week, the down time has not really made a difference to my modelling.

I have, however, tiled the Drill Hall roof and think I'm winning on the glazed clerestory front. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The new forum looks suspiciously modern, but it is nice to have our clubrooms back.  

And while the gnomes were labouring wheeling barrows full of 'Os' and '1s' back and forth this is what I did to amuse myself.  I found some basic artwork I did around three years ago for a 'litho' coach and since the artwork was for a green and white coach things just sort of ran away from there.

qj8z4P9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

56 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I haven't done much in the way of productive modelling for a few weeks as I'm currently working on a drawing for another footbridge for the Dunallander layout.  this time it is long gone and we only have a few photographs with it in the background, so quite a bit of estimation is involved.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

(Blush) Thanks James.  I did some other experimental try outs as well, but one of the 'keepers' is a composite saloon (no picture yet) and I also did a 3rd class saloon variation with different ventilators above the windows.  The idea I have in the back of my mind is that W.N.R. coaches will arrive attached to trains arriving from the great 'elsewhere' and since it's always Summer on the Windweather & Hopewood Tramway these open saloon coaches will be packed with joyful day trippers wanting to enjoy the beach at Hopewood on Sea. 

Edit: The coaches now have grab handles by the doors.

aiz6B6E.jpg

In other modelling I did I worked on the expanse of the salt marsh on my GER affiliated tramway layout, but I'll leave pictures of that for the Virtual Railway Modelling thread.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Well, The Channel/Manche looks pretty much the same everywhere: grey and wet.

And on this side of it, the great Rother Valley floods of January 1925 (other Rother Valley floods are available...)646265864_Wittershamflooding.jpg.8782a2c362e94c26357473185218100c.jpgHesperus-floods.jpg.02238bd2140467df551daf745c538a78.jpg

The loco of course is "Hesperus" - as someone once said, a good name for a wreck.

• Like 11