1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

...or giraffe car?

I believe one was tried ONCE, but the Giraffe neglected to look where he was going and the mess was terrible. His keeper hasn't recovered yet.

You can still see the stains on the girder bridge, some people think its just the red lead primer showing through, but noooooooooooooo......

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

Jonathan, entirely serious, the giraffe in question was transported thus in 1912 from London to Ipswich Museum, where, I believe, it resides to this day.

Turning back to birds of a different feather, a Coote & Sons wagon pictured at Hilgay (date not known).  I wonder if there is sufficient here to identify a suitable Slaters or Cambrian kit as a basis? I do not know what colour it is supposed to be but am minded to assume black. 

Coote_&_Sons_No.264,_Hilgay.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that they were red oxide, with black ironwork, at some time in their existence. Both would register black on the glass plates at the time.

But look at the size of those coal lumps!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The length of the brake handle, terminating at the brake-block end far beyond amidships, suggests to me a single-block brake. 

It reminds me of one of those 6 1/2 planks with the lifting bit above the door. 

Any further help in interpretation would be most welcome.

• RMweb Premium

The curved top of the ends looks familiar, some MR wagons inherited from PO's had them, but I doubt there is a kit for one. Also you would have to work the kit well to get the sides bowed like that too!

I'm trying to place where the photo was taken from, I live just down the road from there!

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Just having a bit of a rest after a bit of dentistry, and decided to catch-up with CA. Took a bit of doing, because I'd "ignored" the thread, just as I did with my own last year .....I really am an incompetent RMWebber.

Anyway ........ one fairly recent innovation in dentistry that has transferred in a limited way into model-making is the use of UV-cure resin. My mouth contains plenty of it!

Wagon below is 1930s Leeds Model Company wood and paper. New buffers are in stock, but I haven't got around to fitting them yet. I don’t know whether ‘Warrens’ was the same as ‘Warren’.

I'm now on the lookout for a lead giraffe to load onto one of my well wagons.

ABBEF444-EF5A-4664-AB43-FB5EDAA27DB0.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

I was under the impression that they were red oxide, with black ironwork, at some time in their existence. Both would register black on the glass plates at the time.

But look at the size of those coal lumps!

Ley's Foundry in Derby Specified that their coal supplies should be in large handleable  lumps since they unloaded by hand into neat(ish) stacks prior to feeding into a Pulveriser to give a very fine coal "dust". (a bucket full of the pulverised coal, if shaken gently, would produce surface ripples,  just like water!).  I think they first made and used pulverised coal in about 1890.when their first reverbatory melting furnace was installed.

• Informative/Useful 4

21 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Anyway ........ one fairly recent innovation in dentistry that has transferred in a limited way into model-making is the use of UV-cure resin. My mouth contains plenty of it!

Small correction, not UV cured, just light at the blue end of the spectrum.  It causes the chemical brake-down of one of the components which then acts to initiate polymerisation.  Early ( 1970's) resins were UV cured, but blue light is less harmful.

Jim  BDS (ret)

• Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

You may have thought you were joking:

image.png.cb903e44771afcbe6550ef2b0f49ff8d.png

The Exeter Museum giraffe on the move.

Jonathan

I'm disappointed, at first glance I thought it was a Damien Hirst!

25 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Just having a bit of a rest after a bit of dentistry, and decided to catch-up with CA. Took a bit of doing, because I'd "ignored" the thread, just as I did with my own last year .....I really am an incompetent RMWebber.

Wagon below is 1930s Leeds Model Company wood and paper. New buffers are in stock, but I haven't got around to fitting them yet. I don’t know whether ‘Warrens’ was the same as ‘Warren’.

UV cured resin was bring used in Dentistry in the mid-80s. Technology, eh!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Small correction, not UV cured, just light at the blue end of the spectrum.  It causes the chemical brake-down of one of the components which then acts to initiate polymerisation.  Early ( 1970's) resins were UV cured, but blue light is less harmful.

Jim  BDS (ret)

I was under the impression that the visible blue light was for targetting purposes and that the main mechanism for polymerisation was a UV component.  But there you go, the stuff used in the 80s is now in the dustbin of History, rather like knowing how to program Z80 microprocessors...

Back to CA.  What Big Lumps in the C&S wagon!  Its no wonder the sides are bowing out of gauge.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The length of the brake handle, terminating at the brake-block end far beyond amidships, suggests to me a single-block brake. 

It reminds me of one of those 6 1/2 planks with the lifting bit above the door. 

Any further help in interpretation would be most welcome.

Four wide (9") planks, with the door three planks high - top plank through; raised but straight ends. Cambrian C74 is your friend. Modifications required to the bodywork: scrape off the diagonal ironwork and make good the planking grooves; remove the catches above the door and replace with catches/fastener to the side - much as I did for one of my Huntley & Palmers wagons. The Scotch brake could be left-overs from a Ratio LNWR wagon kit.

C & S     PETERBOROUGH - 6" and 5" lettering?

Empty to ? Toton ?      674 - the later also 5"?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, uax6 said:

I'm trying to place where the photo was taken from, I live just down the road from there!

Andy

I suspect its taken from the down starter looking towards Southery (i.e. to the south west).

The yard and sidings were on the up side and the down section signal was on the Littelport side of Pleasant's UWC (81m 57c).

There was a bad crash on this UWC sometime in the thirties when, surprise, surprise, a road user went across without permission. Sound familiar?!

Used to happen on here, Concrete Road etc. a fair bit when I worked Downham.

"I have tractor, I go"

"Negative, Negative" to quote Vince!

Tommo

Edited by ianathompson
additional info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Andy

I suspect its taken from the down starter looking towards Southery (i.e. to the south west).

The yard and sidings were on the up side and the down section signal was on the Littelport side of Pleasant's UWC (81m 57c).

There was a bad crash on this UWC sometime in the thirties when, surprise, surprise, a road user went across without permission. Sound familiar?!

"I have tractor, I go"

Tommo

The Village Hall in TMB used to have a collection of newspaper cuttings that showed the result, but they have disappeared in recent times. I'll have to have a word to see if I can find them again.

Sadly UWC misuse is something that will never go away.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Ever since I excavated my 1950s built 00 rolling stock from the nether regions of the garage, I have been wondering where I got the inspiration for this from - I wasn't too fussy about whether it should have wooden or steel as the undercarriage in those days.

Great Central cattle wagon sc built on Airfix chassis.jpg

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Andy

"I have tractor, I go"

Tommo

1st June 1939, apparently.  A train doing about 60 mph hit a lorry and 4 passengers in the train were killed.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

1st June 1939, apparently.  A train doing about 60 mph hit a lorry and 4 passengers in the train were killed.

Lt. Col. Mount's report makes interesting reading. Crossings that were occupation crossings when the railway was built had become public crossings by the actions of local (RD and County) councils - unbeknownst to the railway companies.