1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

... and this isn't 70033:

502763340_LNWR_engine_No.955_Charles_Dickens.jpg.b56c5529465740c768bb4b6ebd374f7e.jpg

Get your period headgear on!

Dickens, eh?  Is that his REAL tender, or is he off on a jaunt with someone elses tender?  :jester:

Hope you're not setting a precedent there.....

Edited by Hroth
Because...
  • Funny 7

34 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Now can I justify a visit from a West Norfolk Railway wagon in South Wales?

Jonathan

Boxes of Huntley & Palmer's Royal Sandringham Lavender Biscuits, made at their west Norfolk factory?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Regrettably my distracted mind took me back on Evil Bay and I bought more loco and wagons kits that I really cannot justify. When in a funk some use retail theray to buy shoes or hats or handbags; in my case its rolling stock. I just sold off a bunch of wagons that are out of geographic location I'd bought early last year "because they were pretty colours".

You have my sympathy.

Very little U.K. outline S scale appears on the bay of e, although some has in the past.

Unfortunately, I also like US outline, which tends to manifest itself in small-batch brass models: very expensive.

I bought some lovely stuff, but it wasn’t the geography that made me sell it do much as the era. Even if I can sell for the original dollar price, I lose out on shipping plus VAT on the whole bundle... I have learned (or been forced to learn by SWMBO!) to curb my enthusiasm over this... (I still lament selling the USRA Mikado which is a design dating from 1918, and which ran on East Lynn until literally stopped by a signal: see that bracket in the background? Well outside the GER loading gauge. But not the cab roof ventilators. Lovely beast, but simply too big for me. Thankfully, the signal is strongly built from brass bar.)

D7051969-9EB9-49C2-BF6F-F01B376A02AD.jpeg.f05cd2f0f5f07680a0c10bc7c8f04098.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

"Boxes of Huntley & Palmer's Royal Sandringham Lavender Biscuits, made at their west Norfolk factory?"

But whole van loads in the valleys? I think they would have come in the daily parcels van, or in the brake van of the local passenger train.

Or do you have a local agent in Nantcwmdu?

And I am sure they would be important and urgent enough not to go by goods train.

How about sacks of guano based fertiliser?

Jonathan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

"Boxes of Huntley & Palmer's Royal Sandringham Lavender Biscuits, made at their west Norfolk factory?"

But whole van loads in the valleys? I think they would have come in the daily parcels van, or in the brake van of the local passenger train.

Now there's something you don't see modelled every day:

29609281_HPFactorysidingsc1900.jpg.b9d77c7f7f03ac4d83231445fef49a0a.jpg

... biscuit crates, stacked and sheeted. Detail from a photo in the Huntley & Palmers Collection, reproduced in the pursuit of the advancement of knowledge.

Note also the dry-stone-walled coal stack in front.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Dickens, eh?  Is that his REAL tender, or is he off on a jaunt with someone elses tender?  :jester:

Hope you're not setting a precedent there.....

If the extent of tender-swapping that went on at Crewe had been public knowledge at the time, the damage to the Premier Line's reputation as an upholder of high Victorian moral values would have been irreparable.

• Funny 8

5 hours ago, Buhar said:

The coal bing (or byng) was a feature of many Scottish loco yards, I'm sure I've seen photos of the "walls" whitewashed.

The walls were whitewashed to deter pilfering! 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Coal-stacking must have been a bit of a thing pre-WW1. I noticed a 'ready-to-plant' model reviewed in a 1909 magazine the other day: coal merchant's hut and two coal-stacks. the stacks being in exactly that drystone wall style.

I knew I had seen one among Dad's photos. although it is in the BR period I don't have any details of the date or location as this was a loose negative. As I haven't digitized his spotting books, and given the quantity I am not likely to, I can't use that resource, but my guess that it is in mid-Wales or the Marches. Sorry that my only example is so horribly post-grouping!

BR_2-6-0_46527.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A nice photo but I suspect not the Mid Wales line both because there are rather too many sidings for most stations - though it could possibly be a bit of Llanidloes I don't recognise - but more because that particular member of the class does not appear in either of the two photo books on the line in my collection. Does anyone have the appropriate shed book? It seems to have spent time at Bescot and Gloucester according to photos on Flickr

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 2