1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great.

The Fellowship of the Ring

674524202_BilboBercow.jpg.744dbe2cd44651989cfaa039ba2645ae.jpg

When I saw that last week, I thought he reminded me of a Head Prefect, with a ratty gown and a tie only a member of the Upper Sixth could get away with.  Of course, that is exactly what his role is....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

When I saw that last week, I thought he reminded me of a Head Prefect, ... Of course, that is exactly what his role is....

... and where he got the training for it.

Actually, having looked up his bio, I withdraw that remark. Unlike many of his ilk, he was at a state comprehensive.

Edited by Compound2632
Truth
  • Like 1

From what I have heard, Don, that seems fair. 

Because he is so loathed by the government and many of his own party, it is hard to filter out the villification to arrive at a more objective assessment. But it does seem that he might be an abrasive character, whose confident self-regard might well cause him to bully those who come into conflict with his aims.  He 'comes it a bit high' as Jack Aubrey might say.

It is an example, perhaps, that an individual might be what is called for by his or her times, yet nevertheless be flawed.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back almost ?! on topic, I notice that someone is posting a lot of old railway posters on the Jigidi jigsaw site:

https://www.jigidi.com/

That site gets so many new jigsaws posted that by the time you read this they may be several pages back. i can't imagine the Ramsgate one being used today.

Jonathan

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Back almost ?! on topic, I notice that someone is posting a lot of old railway posters on the Jigidi jigsaw site:

https://www.jigidi.com/

That site gets so many new jigsaws posted that by the time you read this they may be several pages back. i can't imagine the Ramsgate one being used today.

Jonathan

You are not kidding!

After Paignton and Ramsgate, it's not until page 60 that you see another railway poster, and that's only 24 hours worth of uploads!

8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I saw this and thought of one of those slightly-bonkers teachers from Hogwarts.

"That's right, Miss Granger - swish and... flick! Swish and... flick!"

Probably one of the Dark Arts supply teachers, didn't last more than a term...

Edited by Hroth
spelin, ov corse...
  • Like 1

Not to mention the 'out of gauge' 'tash.

Have been in the Smoke and offline for 2 days.  Hope to manage some modelling over the weekend and I will be around online.

Having had to make 2 trips to the Evil Metrop in the last fortnight, I lack the funds and the energy to venture to Ally Pally, though I had been toying with the idea. Hope them as goes has a good time!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Over 24hours since anyone appears to have posted, and only one post in the previous 24. Is it possible Castle Aching has crashed due to the large volume of people liking the posts? Or is there a more nefarious reason for the stoppage 

My impression is that there is much less traffic on RMWeb than before the update, I certainly get fewer notifications on all the threads I follow - not just CA.

Martin

• Agree 5