5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Welcome back.

On moustaches: that picture did make me wonder exactly when the significance of a luxuriant moustache and black eyeliner changed, from meaning "silent movie baddie", to meaning something altogether different.

In 1978, I believe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9OO0S5w2k&feature=related

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nick, your tagline Einstein quote sums up the present situation nicely. No doubt we will see a great outpouring of creativity here once the nervous tension is released when we have resolution. Either that or universal dark despair.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Over 24hours since anyone appears to have posted, and only one post in the previous 24. Is it possible Castle Aching has crashed due to the large volume of people liking the posts? Or is there a more nefarious reason for the stoppage

LINE.jpg

I suppose this is another reason why broad gauge failed, it made it much harder to strap a damsel in distress to the rails.

• Funny 3

21 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

I suppose this is another reason why broad gauge failed, it made it much harder to strap a damsel in distress to the rails.

Unless they where tall of course!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There is some horrible, and these days probably sexist, pun concerning broad(s) that I will not trouble to explore!

I think I'll take the dogs out instead.

(Though that might get us to Norfolk, the pun, not the dogs, that is. Oh dear). 

I could not get to sleep in my hotel room on Thursday, so today have woken late and groggily. And, perhaps, ever so slightly delirious.

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Welcome back.

On moustaches: that picture did make me wonder exactly when the significance of a luxuriant moustache and black eyeliner changed, from meaning "silent movie baddie", to meaning something altogether different.

I think the style of headwear defines the character. Bowler = silent move baddie; German WW2 Officers Cap = something else entirely.

• Funny 4

45 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I think the style of headwear defines the character. Bowler = silent move baddie; German WW2 Officers Cap = something else entirely.

Wouldn't that be bowler = silent movie heavy, top hat = silent movie baddie? 

I dont know about German Officers cap with black eyeshadow, and don't really want to either..

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I think we're onto a rather different sort of village people from those who might be found in Norfolk c.1905!

The bloke in the German Officers hat would be wearing a Pikelhaube (and thus be viewed with mistrust by all the Daily Mail readers in CA), the Native American would be an exotic member of a travelling circus and the rest would most probably look like the henchmen assisting the Man in the Bowler Hat. (Bernard Cribbins told us how he would end up...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs )

Pretty normal, I'd say...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Wouldn't that be bowler = silent movie heavy, top hat = silent movie baddie? 

I dont know about German Officers cap with black eyeshadow, and don't really want to either..

Are you sure about that?

hats.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

The bloke in the German Officers hat would be wearing a Pikelhaube (and thus be viewed with mistrust by all the Daily Mail readers in CA), the Native American would be an exotic member of a travelling circus and the rest would most probably look like the henchmen assisting the Man in the Bowler Hat. (Bernard Cribbins told us how he would end up...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yShvgXZQBTs )

Pretty normal, I'd say...

There are, I'm sure, no readers of the Daily Mail in Castle Aching!

And no  pikelhaubes neither!

ab8.jpg.110683b205924102bd70f0a3355206bb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

There are, I'm sure, no readers of the Daily Mail in Castle Aching!

In the interest of impartial historical accuracy, I'm very much afraid that this optimism is misplaced. Given the paper's circulation figures by 1905, I fear there may well be a handful of parvenus and office boys who have succumbed to its lure.

It may well be that the gentleman in the bowler hat is actually a gamekeeper who has gone feral, as this quote from wikipedia might suggest -

"The bowler hat is said to have been designed during 1849 by the London hat-makers Thomas and William Bowler to fulfill an order placed by the company of hatters James Lock & Co. of St James's,[4] which had been commissioned by a customer to design a close-fitting, low-crowned hat to protect gamekeepers from low-hanging branches while on horseback at Holkham Hall, the estate of Thomas Coke, 1st Earl of Leicester (seventh creation) in Norfolk. The keepers had previously worn top hats, which were knocked off easily and damaged.[4] The identity of the customer is less certain, with many suggesting it was William Coke.[5] However research performed by a younger relation of the 1st Earl casts doubt on this story, and it is now believed that the bowler was invented for Edward Coke, the younger brother of Thomas Coke, 2nd Earl of Leicester.[3] When Edward Coke arrived in London on 17 December 1849 to collect his hat he reportedly placed it on the floor and stamped hard on it twice to test its strength; the hat withstood this test and Coke paid 12 shillings for it.[6]" 

But then again he might just be a nasty loutish layabout seeking to while away the idle hours between paid employment opportunities. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2019 at 07:19, martinT said:

My impression is that there is much less traffic on RMWeb than before the update, I certainly get fewer notifications on all the threads I follow - not just CA.

Martin

I agree there only seems to be about six of us here visiting the pre-grouping forum on any kind of regular basis.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Annie said:

I agree there only seems to be about six of us here visiting the pre-grouping forum on any kind of regular basis.

I read and occasionally post but I'm interested in pre grouping this unfortunately like most threads in this forum have a tendency to wander off all to often and let's be honest can sometimes be full of a right load of tosh

Edited by Londontram
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Londontram said:

I read and occasionally post but I'm interested in pre grouping this unfortunately like most threads in this forum have a tendency to wander off all to often and let's be honest can sometimes be right full of a right load of tosh

The response to that, which I try from time to time, is to post something relevant. Sometimes it goes by unremarked, at other times it does seem to help steer closer to the topic. But if Edwardian is happy with how the thread wanders, who are we to complain?

image.png.32fa3b3a84a6de78d709ee9dd1e823b6.png

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

True and I  wouldnt have said anything if it were not for the preceding post where they were just reflecting on the relatively few post this topic seems to generate. I was just suggesting a possible reason as you say being Edwardians thread its up to him what content he tolerates.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The response to that, which I try from time to time, is to post something relevant. Sometimes it goes by unremarked, at other times it does seem to help steer closer to the topic. But if Edwardian is happy with how the thread wanders, who are we to complain?

image.png.32fa3b3a84a6de78d709ee9dd1e823b6.png

Ooooo I do like that ticket.  It's just the ticket in fact (groans from the audience).  Seriously though 1s 1d for a monthly return ticket that seems quite reasonable to me.  It's a fair distance between Hillington and Massingham and I certainly wouldn't want to have to walk that far.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1