22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The conversion is from 9.525 mm/ft to 4 mm/ft, so the reduction ratio is 42.0% to 3 significant figures.

Thank you. I have a 1/32 drawing of a Beyer 4-wheel tender, so that will be handy.  It may look a bit too small for my Not-An-Ilfracombe-Goods Goods, but we'll see. 

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Are Irish engines, or the 101 Class specifically, any broader in the beam - or shall we say wider over the footplate - than their English cousins? Presumably width over splashers must be around 2 mm more in 4 mm/ft scale. 

Hopefully not too noticeably. The footplate width of the model is 31.5mm.  My maths is none too reliable, but I make that 7' 10 1/2". Compare that with, say, the Dean Goods (Lots, 99 onward) at 7’8” wide over the footplate.

Fortunately, I get to decide the loading gauge on the WNR!

A random raid on models to hand reveals:

- Not-An-Ilfracombe-Goods Goods (1860s): 30mm (7'6")

- Hornby Peckett (1893): 30mm (7'6")

- SER O Class (1879): 29mm (7'3")

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

you could  choose to measure the footplate width on the drawing and then  find how much reduction is necessary to shrink it to 31.5 mm.

Looks nice

So, the Directors examined a Hornby Terrier today, and rejected it on the basis of a visual inspection; it was not even run.  They believe an improved version might be available from Sheffield in due course. 

DSCN8766.JPG.c9538d5a5ad496f70f1c24044a25c531.JPG

In other news, the builders have come back on site to work on the village and the Locomotive Superintendent has been asked to contemplate some Red Alchemy in the form of a Beyer Peacock works shunter for Aching Constable.

1947974413_DSCN8763-Copy(2).JPG.0c9665604c7715009d4bd7c138af5610.JPG

1660466627_BeyerPeacock1827of187905.jpg.bd298a722a6d25bda439c2a2461baa31.jpg

Finally, we will wave farewell to Rolvenden, who will be chugging off into the sunset whence it came (but not with the Rother Valley brake van, a recent Ebay purchase - for pennies!) 

DSCN8785.JPG.3676b5e8773e4f579aff51dc24de51e2.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh that is a very nice brake van James, - a lucky find there.

And I do like that Beyer-Peacock saddle tank photo.  Is the L&Y Pug aware that it is about to be set upon and transformed whether it likes it or not.

For a moment I thought my sleepy brain was playing tricks and was seeing everything twice-twice, but now I see that you've mistakenly double posted.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Annie said:

Oh that is a very nice brake van James, - a lucky find there.

And I do like that Beyer-Peacock saddle tank photo.  Is the L&Y Pug aware that it is about to be set upon and transformed whether it likes it or not.

For a moment I thought my sleepy brain was playing tricks and was seeing everything twice-twice, but now I see that you've mistakenly double posted.

That's odd, I can't see a double post.

The Pug is another Ebay find.

I've yet to test it, but you will see that it a motorised Airfix Pug kit.  This is important because in order to convert to the BP version, I have to move the cab front sheet backwards, which is not possible with the Dapol/Hornby RTR L&Y Pug, as it has a vertical motor filling the cab. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

That's odd, I can't see a double post.

Now you have me worried because now I can't see a double post either.  More early morning tea required methinks.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what percentage of Airfix/Dapol L&Y Pug kits were actually assembled as L&Y Pugs and how many were instead used as bashing fodder to make something else.  The only kit I ever purchased formed the basis of a 3ft gauge engine on one of my layout I had back in my 20 somethings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Annie said:

I wonder what percentage of Airfix/Dapol L&Y Pug kits were actually assembled as L&Y Pugs and how many were instead used as bashing fodder to make something else.  The only kit I ever purchased formed the basis of a 3ft gauge engine on one of my layout I had back in my 20 somethings.

One of my personal favourties .....

449358214_CraigcorrieDunalistairRailway35LochnaCailliche.jpg.709d629dd6db3a57b9c6f7b90b9579e6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

Interesting dissection of a terrier in the other thread (one up on the frogs that were standard material in O-Level biology).

'Bodiam" was the only loco I ever finished in EM gauge, by serious surgery of a r-t-r one when the model first came out (I'm sure it wasn't Horby then, though), so I know the coal rails well ..... very fiddly to solder-up! It wasn't a wonder-model, but it ran, which is more than can be said for the K's one I'd built ten plus years before.

Possibly I have bored with this before, but, c1981, I was researching very obscure NG railways in East Sussex, and went to visit an old lady,  who I had been told remembered one in detail from her childhood, which indeed she did. But, almost more interesting was that she produced a Half Crown from a sideboard drawer, and told me how it had been given to her father by H F Stephens as a tip, for delivering "Bodiam" in good order; her father was a driver with either the LBSCR or SECR, I can't remember which, and had driven the loco from St Leonards to Robertsbridge.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

DSCN8760.JPG.89c3539031add9b8c41b3c658ecf4546.JPG

So, Daddy Beyer, Mummy Beyer and Little Baby Beyer.

Where's Goldilocks then?

Flooding at Castle Aching?

Must be wet out there...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

‘Morning,

Can i I ask about Posca paint pens?

Are there different types, and does anyone know which type I might need for wagon lettering? 

Thanks in advance, Kevin

I recently bought the “extra fine”, but at 0.8mm, I don’t think it is fine enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Regularity said:

I recently bought the “extra fine”, but at 0.8mm, I don’t think it is fine enough.

Apparently there are "ultra fine" tips too, alleged to be 0.7mm.

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

It’s a paint marker pen, oil based.

I've only seen water based colours, perhaps I've not looked hard enough?