• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

As a consequence, I felt I had to go back yesterday, though it would have been more fun to see everything in company.  In particular, I wanted to revisit a couple of layouts, namely The Dépôts, Rosedale East, because I never tire of that and I had failed to get any decent pictures of that on Sunday, and to have another good look at Edford - The Nettlebridge Valley Railway.

You did well there as from WF's own posts I gather the Saturday was his 1928 day; you got the 1908 day. He seems to have skipped his 1918 day with the regrettable outcome that his D299 was not on view.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes some lovely  scenery on the NVR but rural no village.  MRJ 256 had an article on the line mostly discussing the rationale behind it.  Jerry Clifford as editor may have done the arm twisting his Tucking MIll is set in basically the same area. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

The WNR/CA, has long been a communal effort in its conception from the first.

Annie, having discovered the design of several WNR saloons, has now been researching the loco fleet and has discovered a fourth standard Sharp Stewart Class; 0-6-2T

This looks remarkably similar to the Metropolitan Railway Company's E or F class 0-6-2T. Built variously by the Metropolitan itself, Hawthorne Leslie, and the Yorkshire Engine Company between 1896 and 1901. The E class is available as a kit from SE Finecast. Obviously without the snorkel apparatus (though with the wind in the wrong direction and a spring tide...)

met062.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's a picture of Neasden Power Station, ruined by a photobombing tank engine.

To help flesh-out my mental image (Blast! Northroader's pictures are getting to my psyche!), could I enquire as to which of the WNR's engine's worked the Wolfringham line?

I think there should be an old coal engine, at least until the harbour silted-up completely (the one with mudguards like bike?), but what else, and did things change when it was downgraded to LR status?

• Like 3

Thank you. That is helpful.

Obviously, I've been planning the 2-4-2T for sometime.  The intention is to use the Bachmann L&Y 2-4-2T.  My thoughts are this (and comments welcome):

- Retain tanks and bunker - add Archer's rivets to ape the Rhenish engines

- Replace cab.  Both the 2-4-2T and the 0-6-2T have a very characteristically Sharp cut out and are flush with the tank/bunker.  The L&Y cab is narrower.

- The Sharps have raised round top fireboxes.  One option is to leave the firebox section of the barrel but to replace the rest of the barrel with a smaller diameter boiler and smoke-box. Alternatively, I can build up the firebox section.  

- New chimney

- New steps and guard irons

- Probably remove coal rails

1459678908_SharpStewart2-4-2T1881RhenishRailways01.JPG.ab47fac03cf4b5d018720528cbb6a8d0.JPG

1314769691_LYR2-4-2T01.jpg.c8bacfdc4b984495e29fd2250450cea3.jpg

The 0-6-2T by contrast was only discovered today!

763689998_WNRSharpStewart0-6-2T-Copy.jpg.ec19ef729d9e122a118a9d24b1bdd324.jpg

I wonder whether a Bachmann LB&SC E4 might serve as a donor?

2029265814_BachmannE4EP.jpg.dcc2bc6275db2da7843bb2b51f1fdd93.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm moving home on Friday and really looking forward to getting the space to get back to some modelling. During the hiatus CA has been a fantastic inspiration. Thanks Edwardian and crew for keeping such an informative, entertaining and surprising site going.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The Brighton E4 is a bit too far off? How about adapting the body of a L&Y tank to the E4 chassis... The L&Y chassis might then give you the starting point for a 2-4-0 or 4-4-0. The E4 body needn't go to waste - there's bound to be someone on the look out for one to convert to P4.

Edited by Compound2632
E1 corrected to E4
  • Like 2

It's an E4.

An E1 is an 0-6-0T, which looks like a Terrier, but is (IIRC) 12% larger in all of its key dimensions.

An E4 is actually quite a big and powerful loco, and I'm beginning to wonder if WNR motive power might be getting too big, and having too large axle-weights, for the route.

Somebody is supposed to be making an r-t-r E1, and an interesting conversion might be to bash it into the 0-6-2T West Brighton, the loco that became the prototype for class E3. As such, it would be a nice small 0-6-2T.

(West Brighton had nothing to do with the later SR E1 to E1R conversions; it was a Stroudley design)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It's an E4.

An E1 is an 0-6-0T, which looks like a Terrier, but is (IIRC) 12% larger in all of its key dimensions.

An E4 is actually quite a big and powerful loco, and I'm beginning to wonder if WNR motive power might be getting too big, and having too large axle-weights, for the route.

Post corrected - I didn't read Edwardian's post correctly in addition to being Brighton-ignorant.

If the E1 was 12% larger all round than a Terrier, it must have been intended for one of the Irish lines. Not that that would be a problem for you.

• RMweb Premium

Now that Sharpie 2-4-2T has very much the look of one of Parker's 0-6-2Ts which is surprising as the Gorton drawing office had a much closer association with their neighbours Beyer, Peacock than the other Manchester firm. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

That's a picture of Neasden Power Station, ruined by a photobombing tank engine.

They do that sort of thing - it the Thomist self-importance. Here's another - the photographer had carefully set up to record the rather interesting 29 ft centre-luggage composite of 1875 converted to a mess coach...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

They do that sort of thing - it the Thomist self-importance. Here's another - the photographer had carefully set up to record the rather interesting 29 ft centre-luggage composite of 1875 converted to a mess coach...

I see that whoever renumbered the locomotive didn't do a very good job of weathering the result.... :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

And, here is a photo of West Brightonhttp://www.lbscr.org/Rolling-Stock/Locomotives/Stroudley/F.xhtml

Notice the lantern fitted between chimney and dome, an idea that was taken forward on a few other locos at about this time.

A nice, unfussy design!

Did you spot that the loco behind the D1 has the lantern accessory fitted between the dome and the cab?

• Like 3

I was careful to say "key dimensions" ......... by which I meant that it had a bigger spring, necessitating a lager arbor and key.

So, if it was clockwork, why did it need tanks?  To cover the mechanism, presumably!  :jester:

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

"Did you spot that the loco behind the D1 has the lantern accessory fitted between the dome and the cab?"

So it does!  Clearly some experimentation about where best to fit the lantern.

But, West Brighton was not a D1, it was the F. A D1 was an 0-4-2T.

Maybe best stop this LBSCR class designation business because, yet again, I've diverted the thread. Sorry!

Edwardian, the Edoes have 4'6" wheels, which is what got me onto West Brighton as a possible inspiration for an 0-6-2T. Which firm is meant to be making a model of the E1?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The Brighton E4 is a bit too far off? How about adapting the body of a L&Y tank to the E4 chassis... The L&Y chassis might then give you the starting point for a 2-4-0 or 4-4-0. The E4 body needn't go to waste - there's bound to be someone on the look out for one to convert to P4.

It's an E4.

Somebody is supposed to be making an r-t-r E1, and an interesting conversion might be to bash it into the 0-6-2T West Brighton, the loco that became the prototype for class E3. As such, it would be a nice small 0-6-2T.

(West Brighton had nothing to do with the later SR E1 to E1R conversions; it was a Stroudley design)

It would be good to use the same body; essentially make the same modifications to the Bachmann L&Y body for use on both 2-4-2T and 0-6-2T.  The only difference, I suppose, need be a modest front splasher on the 0-6-2T.

But, then, where would I get 2 extra Bachmann bodies?

I agree with Kevin, the E4 is a bit too big, with 5' drivers, that's large for a WN 6-coupled goods; WN passenger classes seem to be around the 5'8" mark. I'd have though 4'6" would be more appropriate.  Any views on that?

The 5600, with 4' 7 1/2" coupled wheels is rather better.  I think it has about the same wheelbase as the E4, but much less evenly spaced. 

I think if there were a 4'6" wheeled RTR 0-6- chassis, that would be fine. I could simply add a 3'6" trailing wheel.  The Jinty has 4' 7" wheels, they appear evenly spaced, but the 16' w/b seems a tad long.

You can tell I've not planned for a Sharp 0-6-2T!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The Jinty has 4' 7" wheels, they appear evenly spaced, but the 16' w/b seems a tad long.

Dearie dearie me that gaping Midland-shaped hole in your library again. 

Write out one hundred times (once for every engine of the Neilson Goods class):

8'0" + 8'6"

And yes, it is long - the Midland built Big Engines in Matthew Kirtley and Samuel Johnson's day.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Good point.  With 5'8" drivers, that's a perfectly acceptable basis for a 2-4-0 or 4-4-0 tender engine on the WN.

Just now, Compound2632 said:

Dearie dearie me that gaping Midland-shaped hole in your library again. 

Write out one hundred times (once for every engine of the Neilson Goods class):

8'0" + 8'6"

Well, I did say "appear" - better than the 5600 I was looking at (7'3" + 8' on the coupled wheels).

Bought Volume 1 of the MR loco books at York.  Given that an entire volume serves the purpose of what, in most books, would be the Introduction, I now fear how many volumes there may be left to collect. 

• Like 1