I've done overnight in a sleeping bag on the floor back in the 80s (or maybe before then), it was a sports hall and I think there were three of us.  Obviously no mobile phones but we took it in turns to sit in the office with the light on which was probably enough.

In respect of these scroats, I think 240 hours Community Punishment, ie each gets a Finney kit (or if being really nasty, Jidenco) kit, lots of bends and folds, outside valve-gear, beading and compensation.  They have to build it.  Between sessions anything less than perfect gets unsoldered and presented back to them.  They will at least end up with some understanding of what they did.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I have given up trying to understand why these idiots do that sort of thing. I have often thought that the most effective form of punishment would be to find these kids' parents and make the parents do the clean up and restoration/restitution while making the kids stand and watch. I imagine after that that these little horrors would probably be grounded for life.  

We should follow the reasoning that exists in France, where parents are liable in law for being responsible for their children's actions. Unfortunately, when a head teacher, I discovered that many parents lost interest in their children at the moment of conception.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Les le Breton said:

We should follow the reasoning that exists in France, where parents are liable in law for being responsible for their children's actions. Unfortunately, when a head teacher, I discovered that many parents lost interest in their children at the moment of conception.

That is an exceptionally sensible law and carries with it all kinds of additional benefits such as better parenting and probably better education all round.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

A British pal of mine moved to France about 20 years ago and lives about 25km inland of Calais. I visit him for wargaming weekends about 3 or 4 times a year and while there are some quite restrictive laws and practices especially in the area of home improvements to older properties - his house was built in the 1870s - and the rules covering contracting workmen, and insurance generally, there are other facets of French law as well as their social behaviours that really appeal. The values of Liberté, égalité, fraternité from the 1790s really do still run deep and function well and I have never met a nicer bunch of people than the locals who frequent his nearby bar.

I was brought up to dislike the French - the xenophobic attitudes of those around me in my youth left deep scars - but now that I've had the opportunity to meet some ordinary French people and chat at length with them, I don't understand why the English, generally speaking, traditionally don't like them.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/05/2019 at 21:52, Caley Jim said:

............  I would need to look for the article he wrote for the HMRS Journal at the time to get more details.

I have now found the article.  It was at the MOD Defence Proof & Experimental Establishment at Shoeburyness that Geoff found the CR wagon by then numbered ARMY 80028 and being used to transport guns to the proving ranges.  It was the 'C R' on the axleboxes which alerted him to its origins.  2 of these were requisitioned in 1914 and another 2 in 1915.  The fitting of the 12 pounder gun and armour was undertaken at Crewe.  The structure behind the gun contained two compartments, the forward one for ammunition for the 12 pounder and the rear one fitted with a Maxim machine-gun on either side, each with a 180° field of fire.  It also had lockers for 5,000 rounds of machine-gun ammunition.

At the time the article was written (1983) its historical significance had been recognised and it had been earmarked for preservation.  From memory I think Geoff told me it was destined for the Museum of Arm Transport.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

“....the Museum of Arm Transport.”

Must visit that one, sounds intriguing.

If you like that sort of thing, there is a museum in Chard with a large collection of prosthetic limbs.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If you like that sort of thing, there is a museum in Chard with a large collection of prosthetic limbs.

Well, you’ve got to hand it to them for showing some initiative there...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The  Valentine was the only overseas built tank mentioned it the Soviet Union's official history of the Second World War. They did not like the Sherman at all, they called it the "five man coffin"

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

The  Valentine was the only overseas built tank mentioned it the Soviet Union's official history of the Second World War. They did not like the Sherman at all, they called it the "five man coffin"

As a World Of  Tanks player I've found the Russian Valentine is a better and more successful tank to play than the UK version.  I guess that might be down to the game developers being Russian though...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, Les le Breton said:

Unfortunately, when a head teacher, I discovered that many parents lost interest in their children at the moment of conception.

Sorry I've been distracted away from CA over the last couple of weeks, but the Stamford destruction comes just as I've got to the end of the task I've had my head in.

One of most awful things that ever happened to us was kind of Wind in the Willows attack on Toad Hall by stoats and weasels on our house over a May Bank Holiday long week-end nearly 30 years ago.

I got back summoned from work on the Tuesday morning by the church wardens next door  to find the S&Ts must have been in all week-end and had wrought utter destruction including defecating in our beds (and worse in my daughter's room).

My hobby at the time had been clock restoration and all had gone - there was a trail of broken old family heirloom china and  bric a brac through the churchyard to where the Police reckoned a van had collected the valuable stuff (for crating and export to the US). They knew the networks but were unable to prosecute.

Drugs and their funding was at the root of this. 

But it isn't just "looked after" children (to use the current terminology) who vandalise, I can remember as a student that it was also those from posh boarding schools that were also handy at "mindless vandalism" and bragged about it.

Even a front runner in the current crop of would-be Prime Ministers has m.v. in their CV !

Did this exist in PG times?

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

A British pal of mine moved to France about 20 years ago and lives about 25km inland of Calais. I visit him for wargaming weekends about 3 or 4 times a year and while there are some quite restrictive laws and practices especially in the area of home improvements to older properties - his house was built in the 1870s - and the rules covering contracting workmen, and insurance generally, there are other facets of French law as well as their social behaviours that really appeal. The values of Liberté, égalité, fraternité from the 1790s really do still run deep and function well and I have never met a nicer bunch of people than the locals who frequent his nearby bar.

I was brought up to dislike the French - the xenophobic attitudes of those around me in my youth left deep scars - but now that I've had the opportunity to meet some ordinary French people and chat at length with them, I don't understand why the English, generally speaking, traditionally don't like them.

People are people wherever you go.  It's artificial constructs that b*gger things up, both within a society and externally, with petty nationalisms.  

• Agree 6

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

“....the Museum of Arm Transport.”

Must visit that one, sounds intriguing.

Typing late in the evening is obviously not my forté  :unsure:

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 5

Bit late to the party, but I rediscovered this today.

Its a very good intro to the subject, with good coverage of WW1 field railways, among other things.

i used to collect this Blandford series, which ran to many volumes, buying each as it was published, and I think there was an “after 1918” one (yes, there was: “Railways and War After 1917”) but of them all this is the only one I thought worth hanging on to.

E9EF6454-3F4D-478C-AD94-8E4FAD5E8B77.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

image.png.b4cdbc7ce75b88eb11c1f9bc76f8a537.png

So why could it be that you and I we should get along so awfully...

NOBODY EXPECTS DEPECHE MODE.

Maybe, but as Mr Ed said, you've got to get the balance right!

Anyhow, if we're going to descend to the depths of early 80's synthepop, this would be more in keeping...

592494994_OMDDazzleShipsLPcover.jpg.e4015329b7ccfd16be2d7367a4ab6bcc.jpg

though as The Human League observed even earlier

BeingBoiled.jpg.8ff26b50514c0fb4dec9cb3a141fcba2.jpg

you've got to Listen to the voice of Buddah

Normal service will now be resumed...

• Like 1

just realised the above is Victorian in the geographic not the temporal sense. Is it Edwardian - and for whom?

dh

Edit:  Answer to my own question 

Yes it is Edwardian - Q.V. died at Cowes in Jan 1901

The Ozzie train is for Duke & Duchess of Cornwall in May - later KGV  (a very different loco)

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3