• RMweb Premium

They certainly did here.  In our local Catholic parishes most of the old churches were demolished back in the early 1970s and replaced with all the architectural horrors that only the 1970s could bring.  Flat roofs seemed to be a perennial feature and all of them leak.  Our local church just up the road from me leaks like mad in the heavy Winter rain storms we get around here.  Many attempts have been made to repair the roof, but after a while it just starts leaking again.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

That is the most impressive VR carriage I've seen. I note the longer J-hangers for the springs on the centre axle. The only point of doubt I have is the brakes on the centre wheels - I don't think 6-wheelers typically had these; they'd get in the way of the side-play to which the longer suspension links are contributing.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The coach meshes are made by Ken Green who for some time was the only Trainz creator who was making pre-grouping coaches.  He's known for researching the coaches he makes fairly thoroughly, but then on the other had I don't know if in this case he recycled an underframe from something else or not.  I set upon one of his Highland Railway coaches to mod it into a W.N.R. coach since it seemed to tick all the boxes for a plausible representation.

I'd need to have a closer look at some of his other six wheel coaches to see if he's made use of existing parts he had on file in this case or if he's made new parts especially for his Highland coaches.

Aaaaaand after a quick Google image check those I can tell you those centre wheelset brakes shouldn't be there.  After a little further checking on the digital model I can see what Ken Green has done is use the same 'W' iron/axlebox mesh with attached brakes for all the wheelsets.  Having no skill at all myself with shaping up all the dozens of necessary 3D mesh bits that go into a digital model I feel that I can't pass comment about why he might have done that.

• Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, Annie said:

Aaaaaand after a quick Google image check those I can tell you those centre wheelset brakes shouldn't be there.  After a little further checking on the digital model I can see what Ken Green has done is use the same 'W' iron/axlebox mesh with attached brakes for all the wheelsets.  Having no skill at all myself with shaping up all the dozens of necessary 3D mesh bits that go into a digital model I feel that I can't pass comment about why he might have done that.

It's an odd feature to include. AFAIK, centre axles of 6-wheeled stock very rarely have brakes, because that axle is usually given side-play, and the wheels would move out of alignment with the blocks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That is the most impressive VR carriage I've seen. I note the longer J-hangers for the springs on the centre axle. The only point of doubt I have is the brakes on the centre wheels - I don't think 6-wheelers typically had these; they'd get in the way of the side-play to which the longer suspension links are contributing.

8 hours ago, Annie said:

The coach meshes are made by Ken Green who for some time was the only Trainz creator who was making pre-grouping coaches.  He's known for researching the coaches he makes fairly thoroughly, but then on the other had I don't know if in this case he recycled an underframe from something else or not.  I set upon one of his Highland Railway coaches to mod it into a W.N.R. coach since it seemed to tick all the boxes for a plausible representation.

I'd need to have a closer look at some of his other six wheel coaches to see if he's made use of existing parts he had on file in this case or if he's made new parts especially for his Highland coaches.

It seems to me that Annie's WNR coach, in the matter of centre spring 'J' hangars and grab rails, follows GER practice.  Given the avuncular influence of the GE on the WN, that is entirely reasonable.  However, for some of its coaches, it remains a concrete fact that the WN had GW style grab rails.

The springs and axleboxes can, however, quite easily resemble GE practice; I can buy more of Guy's!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Runs as requireds post a page back has a railway connection. Andy MacMillan's father worked for the Caledonian railway. I knew Andy and one time I was chatting to him the subject of my interest in railways and particularly the Caledonian came up. 

Andy went to his extensive bookshelves and dug out a volume and handed it to me, " You can have this then, more use to you than it is to me" . 

That is how I came by my copy of the CR 1919 rulebook. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So, I had a new experience today; operating a layout at an exhibition.

I know many of you will be old hands at this, but it was a brand new shiny experience for me and I really, really enjoyed it.

It helps a lot, of course, that the local MRC are the the most welcoming and tolerant bunch one could ever hope to meet. 

My experience too. Now the engines on Tees Castle and the layout's proximity to Hardwicke prompts me, a thorough-going Midland enthusiast, to observe once again how handsome the LNWR livery looks on pretty much any engine but especially on tank engines.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So, I had a new experience today; operating a layout at an exhibition.

I know many of you will be old hands at this, but it was a brand new shiny experience for me and I really, really enjoyed it.

It helps a lot, of course, that the local MRC are the the most welcoming and tolerant bunch one could ever hope to meet. 

904247482_DSCN0751-Copy.JPG.ca1a33abbdaebb2363dabf2214fd2b30.JPG

Nothing better than a good day out playing trains.

I very much miss not being able to go to the coarse scale 'O' gauge meetings and exhibitions I used to be involved in..

• Friendly/supportive 5

4 minutes ago, Annie said:

Very nice James.  Smart Models certainly have fine looking downloadable kits on their website.

Yes, their model of Castle Headingham, which I have, was to the original station at Castle Aching before I decided that the West Norfolk was, in fact, a rather more substantial concern. 

They are also very nice people to deal with. I am looking at some of their new accessories range.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Slightly vertiginous feeling resulting from twin strands of coincidence, I:

- Go to York where I see Dunstan Harbour

- Join the MRC exhibiting it

- Go to Beamish

- See both Beamish and Dunstan Harbour layouts in the current Railway Modeller

- Exhibit at Shildon with the MRC that exhibited Dunstan Harbour

- See opposite our stand the layout Beamish   

I have actually found this quite confusing!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I prefer Industrial & Equitable Co-operative Societies - especially those structures that stand upright as high and dry Victorian emporiums above the scattering of  workers' dwellings they serve.

Wife's stepfather was a long serving signalman at Peak Forest (we have his LMS long service clock on our spare bedroom mantelpiece). At his Funeral his ex colleagues said he was always known as Lucky Tommie "if he'd fell off  Doveholes 'stores' roof, hed'ave landed in't Divi"

Very impressed by the WNR Charman deigning to become a mere BLT Controller - you have very quickly grown a handsome white beard.

dh

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave John said:

Runs as requireds post a page back has a railway connection. Andy MacMillan's father worked for the Caledonian railway. I knew Andy and one time I was chatting to him the subject of my interest in railways and particularly the Caledonian came up. 

Andy went to his extensive bookshelves and dug out a volume and handed it to me, " You can have this then, more use to you than it is to me" . 

I wished I'd known that when I was lucky enough to work with Andy.  He was a hugely resourceful teacher ...

copied learnt a lot from him.

dh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Very impressed by the WNR Charman deigning to become a mere BLT Controller - you have very quickly grown a handsome white beard.

Reminds me of one of those "Undercover Boss" programmes on the telly....  :whistle:

• Funny 2

Now, an Edwardian with pocket money (not a phenomenon we've been used to over the past three years or so) is a danger to himself.

At Shildon yesterday I indulged in some retail therapy with some modest Impulse Purchases (!)

First up, a building that I don't need!

I have a soft spot for a well-built and characterful scratch-built structure.

This one had clearly once been covered in DAS clay, or similar, and painstakingly scribed to represent stone work, to what standard there are none now who can say.

Anyhow, it's more or less all fallen off.  In doing so, it has created an interesting effect that, perhaps, suggests painted or rendered stone.

It seems that I have the choice.  I can leave it as it is, or skin with brick-paper, which I shall do for the chimney stacks in any case. 

EDIT: I might add that the roof slates are very well done.  When a thing is, in its essentials, good, I think it deserves to be reinstated.

413023897_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(1).JPG.16a74e858375e281442e374ecf254c0c.JPG

779984069_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(2).JPG.bc593fabc2b2fbd2a9744cfcdb201226.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 18

I looked at the photo and thought "ah yes, nicely-weathered stone", so the accidental finish must be in with a chance. The effect on the two-storey part is a close match for the weathered bits of the stone building in which I work. 

In it's current state the model looks quite modern and severe, whereas I suspect that it looked rustic and ancient with the clay covering.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 3