Next up, three vehicles, sold as a single lot for spares or repairs for a fiver, comprising:

- A modern image lorry.  Lamps and one rear and one front mud-guard missing. This can go to my long-standing Grouping stockpile (sssh!)

468301628_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(4).JPG.dd67ba582fa3a84e9ae05f2d22823eb7.JPG

- A new Brougham.  I say a new Brougham because I have an unbuilt Dart Castings single-horse Brougham that I intend as the Castle Aching taxi.  Despite the aristocratic associations, not all Broughams were used as private vehicles and I envisaged a very shabby one-horse Brougham with a tired nag and a disreputable driver of villianous appearance, not sporting the top hat of a private coachman, but a battered old bowler.  The slouching cabby no doubt has a foul-smelling pipe sticking out from the side of his mouth as he waits disconsolately for trade in the station forecourt.

The Brougham in my stash: 766280291_DartBrougham.JPG.e298cdfc82ceff9915a459001a1a82f6.JPG

Well, now I will have a choice of Broughams.  This one seems well made and painted and is missing only the offside shaft. 

The new Brougham:1886961155_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(7).JPG.718383ee2c572ba8ed4d1045e9910af9.JPG

- Finally a two-horse gentleman's carriage of the Phaeton ilk. I would say that the gentleman has been driving  far too fast as his hat's blown off, and he now seems to have lost control completely.  Either that or he's half way through the 'four wheels on my wagon' song. 

I do not know whether this is a kit, but it looks scratch-built in brass to me. It is better built than painted, I'd say, but although two of the wheels have come off, it looks to be all there and is crying out for a bit of titivation: 

71707118_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(5).JPG.ccdb7c916fc0a46b4cf44f81f6a9bb78.JPG

• Like 12

Had my customary catch up on this thread, it remains as fascinating as ever. I had to give up looking in every day as I don't have the time to keep up with it. As you know I am focussed on the Upbech end of the line through Pott Row. The waterside area of Upbech has been developed this week. 

I will look in again soon for a catch up.

MartynIMG_20190602_140810822.jpg.18d883419f8e00137b67f6a3a7cffcba.jpg

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The new Brougham:

"Sweeps like a new brougham" as the butler said as Lord Erswhile's carriage drew up outside Aching Hall.

Pedantically (what I? on CA?), brougham no more needs to be capitalised than does sandwich or hoover - likewise hansom, phaeton, and landau.

Good to see you, Martyn, things look to be going well.  I did call in on Pott Row last week - some very atmospheric siding shots - and I see you have now added the water, which looks excellent.  

Incidentally, I reckon that station building I bought yesterday is North Eastern.  Not much of a stretch given the colour the woodwork is painted and the place I bought it, but the style and configuration look NER to me, of a type that was built in both brick and stone.  I'll have to see if I can find out a bit more about it.  I must build some NER 6-wheelers for that A Class - a mini distraction!

So, finally, my third Impulse Purchase; mystery figures. They came in a set, painted.

429639285_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(8).JPG.eafbe8854774c160ecdfa408fa82230c.JPG

These are of a make unfamiliar to me.

They were sold as 'OO figures', which they're clearly not, but as I use smaller figures with the smaller buildings to the rear of scene and these are in period dress, I thought buying them was a no-brainer and that, as they cannot be foreground figures, their relative crudeness would not matter.  i shall, of course repaint them.

I was intrigued to see a man in deerstalker and inverness cape brandishing a magnifying glass, or, possibly, pipe, he and his companion (they come as a pair) are obviously intended to represent Holmes and Watson. I wondered in the figure in the top hat and cape was meant to be Moriarty, though actually the name that first came to mind was that of the Shadowy Missenden.

On closer examination it emerged that the manufacturer's intention was far more macabre, however, As the figure carries a knife as well as a Gladstone bag I assume this to be Jack the Ripper, as imagined as a gentleman surgeon.  Worse, I left him standing next to a female figure who I now suspect is intended to represent a somewhat homely lady of negotiable affection, clutching a bottle and in imminent danger.

Anyway, in Castle Aching she will re-emerge as a respectable woman shopping in the High Street. Jack must lose his knife, but can gain a cane (sword stick?!?) and we will then all have to watch out for the Shadowy Missenden.  

544078960_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(12).JPG.09b46fb654b122dbd44830b4903a9bd5.JPG

Back to scale.  As we know, Andrew Stadden's figures are rigorously to scale, so here's one to show how much smaller the new figures are ...

709716934_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(10).JPG.bce814c31ef0bf6d75c7c0376993eed1.JPG

To my mind, the new figures looked a more like modest 1/87thers.  So here is a Stadden HO figure added (third from the left) ...

88323660_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(13).JPG.da162cb898a67d556672098a12c80e13.JPG

Finally, they are a little larger than my converted 1/100 figures.  As such, they will be entirely suitable for aiding the forced perspective.

609510227_ItemPurchasedatShildonJune2019(14).JPG.7b84cbb0ff116507c2ec59babb2d47f5.JPG

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"Sweeps like a new brougham" as the butler said as Lord Erswhile's carriage drew up outside Aching Hall.

Pedantically (what I? on CA?), brougham no more needs to be capitalised than does sandwich or hoover - likewise hansom, phaeton, and landau.

Its the only sense in which I'm over capitalised. 

The French do not use capitals nearly enough, I've noticed, so I'm restoring the balance. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Worse, I left him standing next to a female figure who I now suspect is intended to represent a somewhat homely lady of negotiable affection, clutching a bottle and in imminent danger.

Anyway, in Castle Aching she will re-emerge as a respectable woman shopping in the High Street. Jack must lose his knife, but can gain a cane (sword stick?!?) and we will then all have to watch out for the Shadowy Missenden.  

Your merciless close-up shows that she is quite clearly some kind of reptilian alien. Along much the same lines, "Shadowy Missenden" is evidently a Frenchman, clutching his baguette au jambon.

20 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Its the only sense in which I'm over capitalised. 

The French do not use capitals nearly enough, I've noticed, so I'm restoring the balance. 

Surely Paris is the Capital of Capitals? No other country is quite so centred on its capital.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Apologies to the memory of the distinguished railway servant who shares his name, but I have always imagined Sir Eustace - the Shadowy - Missenden as one of the wrong sort of Englishmen.  Part rake, seducer and insinuator, part plotter and schemer, part cold-hearted bully.  He takes a sort of Sir Mulberry Hawk/Sir Percival Glyde/Dick Dastardly form in my mind's eye.

And, yes, in my nightmares he has a handlebar moustache!   

EDIT: The late great Bob Peck as Sir Mulberry, RSC, 1981:

347648774_BobPeckasSirMulberryHawk1981.jpg.b387d8257e44d5b21e78301c4bc96b66.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

but I have always imagined Sir Eustace - the Shadowy - Missenden as one of the wrong sort of Englishmen

Which brings us to a classic opening line.....

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Apologies to the memory of the distinguished railway servant who shares his name, but I have always imagined Sir Eustace - the Shadowy - Missenden as one of the wrong sort of Englishmen. 

Oi! Thanks! And to think I introduced this character into the fray... And you've just made writing his character considerably harder!

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Part rake, seducer and insinuator, part plotter and schemer, part cold-hearted bully.  He takes a sort of Sir Mulberry Hawk/Sir Percival Glyde/Dick Dastardly form in my mind's eye.

And, yes, in my nightmares he has a handlebar moustache!   

Oh come on! And this fellow is supposed to be a WNR draughtsman at Aching Constable, with an office in Achingham? Is this he who saves a young Sussex lass from danger in France?! Oh b*gger I've let the plot slip (and soon I'll lose it...)... :P 

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, and I think he’s probably tall and lean, whereas the baguette brandisher is stocky.

:O 

1 hour ago, Argos said:

Which brings us to a classic opening line.....

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

xD

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Oh come on! And this fellow is supposed to be a WNR draughtsman at Aching Constable, with an office in Achingham? Is this he who saves a young Sussex lass from danger in France?! Oh b*gger I've let the plot slip (and soon I'll lose it...)...  

This sounds like an escape from the genie's lamp of the well-worn junior-architect-as-hero wish-fulfilment meme cf T. Hardy, A Pair of Blue Eyes, and J.M. Falkner, The Nebuly Coat.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, AVS1998 said:

As the aforementioned Sussex (Kent, Sem dear boy, Kent!) lass, I note that Missenden rather resembles the above remarks! ;) 

Oi!!! How... How utterly rude! I note the county correction, I do apologise.

Or not, of course - at least in Madame Noir (I'm still tinkering with a new title) he is shadowy and mysterious. Perhaps we'll learn more about him in due course... 

Perhaps...

And all this talk of proportion, perspective and baguettes has me rather flustered,

Some things never change...

I think I need to get myself out of this clearly morally liberal (degenerate?!) corner of Norfolk at my earliest convenience! 

Clearly.

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe, after all, he’s a mere ficelle flaunter,

:O 

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

rather than a baguette brandisher. Or, maybe we should be talking about a batard complet. His companion is possibly a petite parissiene.

I wish...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe, after all, he’s a mere ficelle flaunter, rather than a baguette brandisher. Or, maybe we should be talking about a batard complet. His companion is possibly a petite parissiene.

Sapristi nuckoes! Garkon? (FX ACCORDIONS)....

Edited by rockershovel
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

May I just be permitted a little aside, in parenthesis from what’s currently going on, to advise that a trip to Wensleydale, not too remote from where you are, might be rewarding:

48F761E0-8D29-41EA-9E72-8D485D46539D.jpeg.cdd1a4963755161503cbe45b6aea2ec0.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, AVS1998 said:

........I think I need to get myself out of this clearly morally liberal (degenerate?!) corner of Norfolk at my earliest convenience! 

Reminds me of the true tale of a lady Councillor and Justice of the Peace in the town in which I used to work who was known for opening her mouth only to change feet.  Sitting on the magistrates bench one day she told a miscreant before her, who had been found guilty of being drunk and disorderly, to 'leave the town by the earliest public convenience'!

Jim

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Worse, I left him standing next to a female figure who I now suspect is intended to represent a somewhat homely lady of negotiable affection, clutching a bottle and in imminent danger.

I see her as having a more "Oggish" persuasion and that the gent would be in extreme peril instead!

As for the vessel clutched in her hand, that looks to me of a jug of at least a quart in capacity.  Working class families would often bring a quantity of ale from a public house for consumption at home in such a container, rather than letting the paterfamilias wander off there for a pint in the evening.  The banning of children from houses in the late Victorian period was decried as an attack upon the poor as they were the ones usually sent on such errands, and so the job would devolve upon the long-suffering wife!

Ok, she's probably a seamstress...

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I have always imagined Sir Eustace - the Shadowy - Missenden as one of the wrong sort of Englishmen.  Part rake, seducer and insinuator, part plotter and schemer, part cold-hearted bully.  He takes a sort of Sir Mulberry Hawk/Sir Percival Glyde/Dick Dastardly form in my mind's eye.

Hmmmm...  So when are we going to meet his sniggering sidekick?

33 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

What the hell is going on?

Your guess is as good as mine.....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m reminded of Sarah Gamp, who used to keep the nourishing liquid in a teapot, rather than a bottle. Furthermore, Mr. Hroth, the Unicorn Inn was three doors up from us, and I would get despatched with a white China jug, a quart capacity, up the road to call at the side window of the bar, so children of working class families could fulfil a useful purpose in life, despite legislation otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

the Unicorn Inn was three doors up from us, and I would get despatched with a white China jug, a quart capacity, up the road to call at the side window of the bar, so children of working class families could fulfil a useful purpose in life, despite legislation otherwise.

I never realised you were so old.....  :jester:

Hat, coat, exit pursued by......

• Funny 3