11 hours ago, Hroth said:

If the Midland is an Octopus, then allegedly it'd taste like chicken, though some compare it to pork.....

I'll leave that investigation to someone with a more adventurous culinary bent!

I've always found that octopus tastes of nothing much, except in Galicia where it is excellent and tastes of garlic, paprika and chilli.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Guy Rixon said:

I've always found that octopus tastes of nothing much, except in Galicia where it is excellent and tastes of garlic, paprika and chilli.

At least it's better than sea cucumber, which has all the fine texture of a bicycle inner tube.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

At least it's better than sea cucumber, which has all the fine texture of a bicycle inner tube.

Is bicycle inner tube a commonly eaten dish in the colonies?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Isn't a Sea "Cucumber" basically a marine slug? 

I suppose any slug, marinaded in saltwater would have a similar texture and taste explosion!

Compared with a vegetable cucumber, which consists of a tasteless combination of cellulose and water, at least there's something to complain about....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Compared with a vegetable cucumber, which consists of a tasteless combination of cellulose and water, at least there's something to complain about....

“A cucumber should be dressed in vinegar and black pepper, and then tossed aside.”

- Dr. Johnson.

• Funny 7

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Good to see entries for Birlstone and Paltry Circus on Achipedia.

By sheer coincidence, Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson have entered the Achingverse at two different points on the same day:

The Legend of Black Shuck

The Valley of Fear

Let's also not forget Corbs' incarnation of the NWR, which I have made mention of multiple times in KLR fiction. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Let's also not forget Corbs' incarnation of the NWR, which I have made mention of multiple times in KLR fiction. 

Talking of which, if you’re into that, have you picked up the launch of this thread today, by the same guy who did Cwm Pysor, so it should turn out a tidy job.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I can't recall where the link is to 'Victoria 2 stations' I've just clicked across to in these new CA parallel Universes (isn't Quantum Mechanics a wonderful post-Einstein app?)

But its an excuse for me to tell an old East Grinstead RAF Guinea Pig club story of my dad's.  

An Australian veteran G Pig phoned to say he was over from Wagga Wagga in London and could he come down to have a night out with my dad.  Pa gave him all the platform details for Victoria to Otford where he would meet him.

But the Ozzie boarded the wrong train and was told to change at O'Neil.  An hour or so later he arrived at Brighton, having never found O'Neil station. 

By phone Dad enlightened him about the junction being Herne Hill and so their night out was in Brighton instead of in my dad's local.  The Ozzie swore loud and long at the cockney accent!

dh

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

On 08/06/2019 at 17:34, Hroth said:

So that's where Triang got the idea for their "Hiawatha" Pacific from...

1462108799_r54hiawatha_s.jpg.6315500abc9435276554e419275ab459.jpg

Mr Ed.  If you go up the road to the right of the Victoria Building, you would come to Pembroke Place. And on your left was the old Liverpool Royal Infirmary which was built in a similar style.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4086318,-2.9675435,3a,90y,185.58h,103.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBhnAswEyArcC3D0OKOLXSQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Across Pembroke Place is the Stalinist concrete block of the Liverpool Dental Hospital...

Triang got their idea from Canadian Pacific Railway's Class G3d. No.2335 was completed by Montreal Locomotive Works in September 1926.

Dana1595811334_CanadianPacificClassG3dNo_2335.MLW09_1926.jpg.120bbab281a1d1a369ea4c1f70a1ca0e.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

Which is precisely what the two RH&D locos are based upon, I believe.

Like the ‘Gresley Pacifics’, they aren’t precise scale models, they are proportioned for 3’6” gauge for a start, but the inspirations are very evident in the styling.

One of the RH&D locos even got taken to Canada, for an exhibition that I think was about thanking Canada for support during WW2.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hello Chaps.

I have just returned from my bi-decennary visit to the ancestral abodes of my native heath.

Whilst there I took in the Great Central Railway model event-thingy. of which there were, for me, a number of highlights.

- A very nice couple exhibiting a North Staffs layout featuring the gatehouse from Tutbury Mill.  I recognised this 'cos as a lad I'd been very taken with a 1-page article in a '50s RM suggesting this as a layout idea.  The chap I spoke to has an article about this short industrial line in July's BRM, so well worth picking up a copy.

- Also featured in July's BRM a 2-page interview with Rails about their new 3D-printed ex-SE&CR van.  Named in the article is our very own Dr Rixon, though the identity of the "noted historian" assisting with the project remains a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

- Some great layouts, though I was happiest reuniting with Rowington for Shrewley, which I haven't seen for years.  I think the only pre-Grouper in the show.

Pictures to follow in an edit. 

Hope you all had a good weekend.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, James Harrison said:

I was the bloke wondering around on the Saturday in the blue tweed three-piece suit with bow tie, if anybody spotted me. 

Fairly nondescript apparel I'd have thought, but if you didn't have the Friday copy of the Atchingham Argus under your right arm you certainly wouldn't have stood out!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

I half-intended to go to the GCR thing on Friday, but other matters had to take priority, so it will be interesting to see the pictures.

I'd also be interested to hear how the business of commuting between bits of the event worked-out ....... I wondered if it might make the day a bit overloaded.

18 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Hello Chaps.

I have just returned from my bi-decennary visit to the ancestral abodes of my native heath.

Whilst there I took in the Great Central Railway model event-thingy. of which there were, for me, a number of highlights.

- A very nice couple exhibiting a North Staffs layout featuring the gatehouse from Tutbury Mill.  I recognised this 'cos as a lad I'd been very taken with a 1-page article in a '50s RM suggesting this as a layout idea.  The chap I spoke to has an article about this short industrial line in July's BRM, so well worth picking up a copy.

DSCN1027.JPG.46edfa17c8e8ce8ee9a106533a2ca12a.JPG

18 hours ago, Edwardian said:

- Also featured in July's BRM a 2-page interview with Rails about their new 3D-printed ex-SE&CR van.  Named in the article is our very own Dr Rixon, though the identity of the "noted historian" assisting with the project remains a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

- Some great layouts, though I was happiest reuniting with Rowington for Shrewley, which I haven't seen for years.  I think the only pre-Grouper in the show.

Pictures to follow in an edit. 

Hope you all had a good weekend.

DSCN0968.JPG.46cfe2d85139dceb6eb47705a1b1f83c.JPG

Ah, double-Dean!

Who cares if they're out of period (by about 20 years!)?

More pictures to follow, but just a few more images for the moment ...

A brilliant use of forced perspective - far more daring than on CA - on Priorsfield:

DSCN0887.JPG.5e2d9b286cf590f1eaa40e8311d0fc54.JPG

DSCN0890.JPG.52326071a9cddc13b1b56f2b9976282f.JPG

Bleadon was a lovely evocation of the WC&P in 7mm ...

DSCN0917.JPG.3f31191d53def2c85b31525930912616.JPG

DSCN0932.JPG.9c826cdecfcd3fd2c5868cb54c0eb614.JPG

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I half-intended to go to the GCR thing on Friday, but other matters had to take priority, so it will be interesting to see the pictures.

I'd also be interested to hear how the business of commuting between bits of the event worked-out ....... I wondered if it might make the day a bit overloaded.

Well I arrived at Loughborough (Midland) mid-morning, but, as predicted, the lack of parking at Loughborough (Great Central) defeated us. so we drove to Quorn.  Two extremely large marquees containing what I took to be the bulk of the exhibition took up the station yard.  This took most of the time we had and a short trip behind dieseasal unit thing took us to Loughborough.  There were some stalls there and a tent with the big garden scale stuff.  We did not make it to Woodhouse, so I don't know what was there. 

Fortunatley, something large, black and modern, but smelling and sounding just right, conveyed us back to Quorn.   

• Like 15

We now have a fairly comprehensive survey of Isle of Eldernell & Mereport Rly on Achipedia, with links to pages on each of the principal places served by the line.

A similar process is underway for the West Norfolk, and places will be linked through from the main Castle Aching page.  Thus far, we have just Black Cat,  Bishop's Lynn and Smoxborough, so, quite a way to go!

• Like 3