2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I beg to differ! You can't have a ceilidh without at least one accordion player! (and a fiddle player !) 

Jim 

All round Scotland in little towns are accordion and fiddle clubs. Strangely, some of them ban dancing to what is essentially dance music! 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The figures on the layout, which looks superb, are they French?  Or are they English, with a rubbish French accent, or German with an interesting French accent?

That aside, I do like the man leaning on his rake, with what appears to be a fag in his mouth, and the man leaning on the wall, standing with his legs crossed.

Edit:  No looked again and this time my eyes worked, it is not a fag it is his nose!

Edited by ChrisN
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

So what if some of the Prachett books were rather dark. The real world is rather dark at times. Besides the poorest is head and shoulders above most other writers. To have achieved such a long series is a najor achievement let alone maintain such quality.  I did find raising steam less humerous than others but could that be because I am too close to the subject. A frend Brian Dominic made a model based on the Luggage for his 16mm garden line (sadly now closed due to vandalism)  http://mdlr.co.uk/luggage.html

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Having studied this layout at various exhibitions - and always finding it rather good - I have noticed that some of the young ladies are somewhat under-dressed and disporting themselves in rather provocative poses!

But I still don't know who made the figures?

Regards

Chris H

Sorry, but I've on just come on board to the pannier and Stanier rhyme -

it really isn't good enough on such a pedant ridden thread to casually throw away attribution to "someone" !

Anyway in terms of small LMS tanks - why has someone like Compound not nominated the MR 0-6-4 Deeley "flat irons" ? Even flatter than a 5700  I'd suggest.

The Cromford North London tanks were a part of my grammar school days and Brake van trips with my kindly old English teacher W.H. Hoult who was a regular contributor to the Manchester Grauniad's Miscellany column and "Derbyshire Countryside" on tramways, canals, and railways.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Anyway in terms of small LMS tanks - why has someone like Compound not nominated the MR 0-6-4 Deeley "flat irons" ? Even flatter than a 5700  I'd suggest.

The theme was small, black, and LMS - the 2000 Class fails on all three counts - although I seemed to be in a minority of one arguing that pre-grouping engines didn't count as LMS; the way the question was first phrased seemed to me to imply LMS designed engines. It's like those threads one sees from time to time asking for advice on typical LMS in the 1930s - there was no such thing, but typical ex-LNWR, ex-Midland, ex-L&Y, ex-Caledonian, ex-GSWR, ex-Highland, ex-NSR, ex-Furness in the 1930s is perfectly reasonable. I repeat again my contention that the LMS wasn't really LMS-like until the 1950s, though even then the stamp of the pre-Grouping companies was still strong. After all, the bulk of the infrastructure was built by them and they'd mostly had three-quarters of a century to make their mark, unlike the brief quarter-century of the LMS, the middle third of which was marked by the depression and the last third by war and its aftermath. 

Ditto LNER but even more so, and the Southern too - apart from the onward march of third-rail electrification. On most of the Great Western, time stood still from 1923 if not earlier.

Enough of this dismal post-Groupingery. With our host's recent layout photos in mind, here's a proper Edwardian engine:

927948857_Nordatlantic.jpg.a89afb748287637776de7fdf4bc57bb6.jpg

Vive l'entente cordiale!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, brack said:

Those pipes and wiggly bits on the outside make it quite improper (much like those young lady figures Metropolitan H has studied)

Now come on, we all know His Majesty the King-Emperor was passionné pour l'entente cordiale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our James was on about the LMS large black class he saw on his GC outing, but on a pregroup thread an improvement would be the LMS small black class, I.e. small, black, and “LMS” painted on it (somewhere), Shirley?

343B673C-8030-4388-A654-DAA8ECAA337D.jpeg.a7ccc8355849174a274681c1ebee1ff6.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Is that what might be called a large brown?

2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Our James was on about the LMS large black class he saw on his GC outing, but on a pregroup thread an improvement would be the LMS small black class, I.e. small, black, and “LMS” painted on it (somewhere), Shirley?

Some folk are incorrigible...

36 minutes ago, brack said:

Those pipes and wiggly bits on the outside make it quite improper (much like those young lady figures Metropolitan H has studied)

... besides which above footplate level I see nothing more improper than a Westinghouse pump (not worn in the best of circles, I admit) and a top-feed, which does hint at Mr Churchward's modernism. The Walschaerts valve gear might be considered to smack of the Folies Bergère.

• Like 3

On the subject of the atlantic, I admit they've tried, but they've got things wrong - the front bogie should be inside framed and the rear truck outside. Not a huge fan of such an asymmetric axle spacing on the tender either...

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Now come on, we all know His Majesty the King-Emperor was passionné pour l'entente cordiale.

Surely in Edward the Caresser's case its les ententes cordiales, given his johnsonesque tendency to accidentally leave children around the place.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, brack said:

they've got things wrong 

Where "they" grew up in Sydenham. 

9 minutes ago, brack said:

Surely in Edward the Caresser's case its les ententes cordiales, given his johnsonesque tendency to accidentally leave children around the place.

Fewer than you imply, if any. Certainly none by the time he was King - well past it. The present Duchess of Cornwall is said to resemble Lt-Col. George Kepple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

343B673C-8030-4388-A654-DAA8ECAA337D.jpeg.a7ccc8355849174a274681c1ebee1ff6.jpeg

A CR pug, if I'm not mistaken!

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

... besides which above footplate level I see nothing more improper than a Westinghouse pump (not worn in the best of circles, I admit)

I must protest m'lud. All the best locos wore Westinghouse pumps!!  :declare:

Jim

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The Walschaerts valve gear might be considered to smack of the Folies Bergère. 

As does the little "protruberance" on top of the steam dome....

Seeing as I'm officially "On Holiday" at the present, I'd not seen the continuing debate about the Pratchett books.  All I can say is that for certain reasons, "Night Watch" is one of my favourites, and I don't mind "Unseen Academicals" either.  "Going Postal" and "Making Money" are entertaining too. The ones I have particular difficulty with are "Snuff" and (perhaps sadly) "Raising Steam" where I think that character and things mentioned in previous books get turned on their heads. I have re-read them them several times and quite a few passages nag and niggle at me each time I read them.

Anyhow, tomorrow I'm off to visit Steam at Swindon, and imbibe at the fountain of the True Faith!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Your chance to live next to Castle Aching!  

The previous tenants of the cottage next door moved out recently.  I suspect it's 2-beds, 2-receptions. 

More importantly it has a stone outbuilding comprising 2 rooms approx. 18'6" x 9'6" and 16' x 6'6".

1641129285_IMG_0167-Copy.JPG.3f09c8827dabdaef85d8ff867d08aece.JPG

868073633_IMG_0110-Copy.JPG.425cee3b6dff5b2b95344dd399ae93bf.JPG

• Like 6

The obvious answer is to rent both houses, then sub-let the actual living accommodation, recouping the cost and making a profit, while maintaining use of the shed next door.

This might be both breach of contract, and against decent principles, but it would allow the creation of more of Greater Norfolk, which clearly creates a moral dilemma.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3