20 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The obvious answer is to rent both houses, then sub-let the actual living accommodation, recouping the cost and making a profit, while maintaining use of the shed next door.

This might be both breach of contract, and against decent principles, but it would allow the creation of more of Greater Norfolk, which clearly creates a moral dilemma.

Maybe once I've created Kleinnordvölkerland I''ll worry about lebensraum for Großnordvölkerland! 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

As I took myself down towards the station I came across a man, stood upon a box, preaching to all and sundry. At first I presumed him to be an evangelist of some description, but as I came nearer I could hear that he was, instead, promoting the concept of what he called 'Living Space'. "Drain the fens!" he cried, "Annex Suffolk" he chanted and "The Unity of all Farming-Accented peoples - Norfolk shall rise and Cambridgeshire will stand defenceless against us!" he declared. He possessed a most peculiar moustache - Most small and rectangular, and was really very animated...

Edited by sem34090
  • Funny 11

6 hours ago, sem34090 said:

As I took myself down towards the station I came across a man, stood upon a box, preaching to all and sundry. At first I presumed him to be an evangelist of some description, but as I came nearer I could hear that he was, instead, promoting the concept of what he called 'Living Space'. "Drain the fens!" he cried, "Annex Suffolk" he chanted and "The Unity of all Farming-Accented peoples - Norfolk shall rise and Cambridgeshire will stand defenceless against us!" he declared. He possessed a most peculiar moustache - Most small and rectangular, and was really very animated...

Pedant writes: 

I think we have a foreign spy posting in our midst. Note the use of the passive 'stood' rather than 'standing'.

Have there been further clandestine landings upon the Norfolk coast from the the German Sea?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Pedant writes: 

I think we have a foreign spy posting in our midst. Note the use of the passive 'stood' rather than 'standing'.

Have there been further clandestine landings upon the Norfolk coast from the the German Sea?

It does state that he was "most small and rectangular" so it is entirely possible that someone else, much larger than him, had picked him up and stood him upon the box.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Northroader said:

Gute idee, mein anwalt freund, lebensraum fur dem Länderbahnen und dem nebenbahnen, mit der “pregrouppe” Englische, know wot I mean?

8F224D9F-268F-4B60-9252-ADF270BAD512.jpeg.4bb3580689d070cac8b313b2d84800c2.jpeg

Can't go yet, Squires not here!

(sorry)

(Engines, BIG GREEN ENGINES!!!  YAYYYYY!!!!!)

• Funny 1

Many years ago I was in a club which had signs on the layout 'Nicht gerfingerpoken'.  The control panel was designated 'Ein Automatichklagerramenmit knopfen' (Automatic route setting panel with knobs on).

Jim

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, runs as required said:

Pedant writes: 

Surely not?

Vulgarian_spies.jpg.f2327bcbe006bece6e19b34c4c24e229.jpg

EDIT: Notice the moustaches chosen by the filmmakers; one Adolf and one Kaiser Bill!

Clearly no mitteleuropäische stereotypes were harmed in the making of this film .... 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

As I have pointed out before, the way to spot spies is not by errors of grammar, which are in fact a sign of the native, but by their far-too-perfect grammar and diction.

This is a slightly error-prone method, however, because, in my limited experience, people educated in Zimbabwe all seem to speak utterly perfect English, which might lead to false accusations.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

B*stard insomniac Labradors ....

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

As I have pointed out before, the way to spot spies is not by errors of grammar, which are in fact a sign of the native, but by their far-too-perfect grammar and diction.

As I think we'd already established, spies are those who fail to understand that our two great Universities are Cambridge and Hull.

(unless, of course, they are graduates of Cambridge) 

4 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Enough I request a update of the lines progress :biggrin_mini2:

Nick

Ah, well, I have made some progress in making the outbuilding habitable.  Hopefully some progress on the layout/stock soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Not liam gallagher then having had his interview inflicted on us for some reason.. you know what I mean?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Progress? What’s this yere progress, then? Sometimes us sits and thinks, most times us just sits.

Crikey, that takes me back! About 1967 if I recall correctly.

53 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Progress? What’s this yere progress, then? Sometimes us sits and thinks, most times us just sits.

16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Crikey, that takes me back! About 1967 if I recall correctly.

This seems to have been a stock phrase of some antiquity, made popular by a Punch cartoon, though I don't doubt that most of us recognise it as a saying of Winnie the Pooh.

1930848910_Ijustsits-punch.jpg.5ca80fce1852cceffef5a7b14a2ce8d7.jpg

I managed to include a wholly improbable AA Milne allusion in one of the Achipedia entries. Silly, but could not resist.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

This seems to have been a stock phrase of some antiquity, made popular by a Punch cartoon, though I don't doubt that most of us recognise it as a saying of Winnie the Pooh.

1930848910_Ijustsits-punch.jpg.5ca80fce1852cceffef5a7b14a2ce8d7.jpg

I managed to include a wholly improbable AA Milne allusion in one of the Achipedia entries. Silly, but could not resist.

I'll leave Northroader to confirm whether I'm right or not but I was thinking of a Railway Modeller article, about a GWR branch set in Cornwall, by a modeller who was at that time quite well-known but seems to have vanished into obscurity.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll leave Northroader to confirm whether I'm right or not but I was thinking of a Railway Modeller article, about a GWR branch set in Cornwall, by a modeller who was at that time quite well-known but seems to have vanished into obscurity.

Oh, yes, I think I know the one you mean - written in dialect!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Many years ago I was in a club which had signs on the layout 'Nicht gerfingerpoken'.  The control panel was designated 'Ein Automatichklagerramenmit knopfen' (Automatic route setting panel with knobs on).

Jim

4AE1EB74-FE02-4760-A237-246D212B6228.jpeg.ab07cbf4f1d438d6288c28d73291f36d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

You’re both right, it Is a quote lifted by memory from an article in the RM in the fifties on “Torpoint” by Jim ?? Now noses back to the grindstone, I can promise you only blood, sweat, tears, etc., etc.,

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Witty, ingenious, but I hope not public-facing.  Nowadays it would certainly be funnier and less crass if de-Nazified.  Imagine if a poor German unwittingly wandered into the exhibition! Even Basil Faulty knew not to mention the war ....! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2