8 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Like this, do you mean?
image.png.99fb180083ee2439295df69423437766.png

All I can say is, that if the "Gentleman" requires a quizzing glass to observe the young lady, then he's not getting the maximum benefit from his membership!

In view of that, may I suggest that we're All little sheep that have gone astray....   Ahem!

William_Holman_Hunt_Our_English_Coasts_1852_(Strayed_Sheep)_s.jpg.56e93fcec1cb974e22a5a7fe09e47f27.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Holman_Hunt

I don't think we've had this pre-raff previously, for some reason the concentration seems to be on young ladies in dishevelled apparel....

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

All I can say is, that if the "Gentleman" requires a quizzing glass to observe the young lady, then he's not getting the maximum benefit from his membership!

In view of that, may I suggest that we're All little sheep that have gone astray....   Ahem!

William_Holman_Hunt_Our_English_Coasts_1852_(Strayed_Sheep)_s.jpg.56e93fcec1cb974e22a5a7fe09e47f27.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Holman_Hunt

I don't think we've had this pre-raff previously, for some reason the concentration seems to be on young ladies in dishevelled apparel....

The interesting thing about this painting is that the sheep have paint marks on them.  This means any sheep that is pre-grouping should have these marks on them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, ChrisN said:

The interesting thing about this painting is that the sheep have paint marks on them.  This means any sheep that is pre-grouping should have these marks on them.

As the marks are on their shoulders I would assume they indicate ownership where sheep are grazing on common ground.  Nowadays they appear on their rumps in the autumn and are for a completely different purpose!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I'm sure we've discussed sheep markings before?

Or is that deja-ewe?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

As the marks are on their shoulders I would assume they indicate ownership where sheep are grazing on common ground.  Nowadays they appear on their rumps in the autumn and are for a completely different purpose!

Jim

Jim,

Er, yes.  I know what those marks are for but do they not have ownership marks as well?  Those out on the hills that is.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Jim,

Er, yes.  I knoew what those marks are for but do they not have ownership marks as well?  Those out on the hills that is.

Yes, generally on the shoulder. Looking forward to my fortnight in the Lune Valley...

• RMweb Premium

A quick bit of googling turns up an article on smit marks. They are certainly pre-Grouping, pre-pre-Raphaelite, pre-railway: "in 1817 Joseph Walker published the first manual of smit marks. He published the manual for his home area of Martindale and the surrounding valleys in the Lake District in the north-west of England. His guide was so popular – so popular that over the next 80 years or so other farmers published guides to many other parts of the country."

1607786526_Martindalesmitmarks.jpeg.919d0f5910975dd100466b2b7179c47e.jpeg

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I can see a whole new field opening up for purists.

Modelu will be going around rare-breed farms to scan different types of sheep.

Nit-pickers will take a look at your layout and pronounce that your Southdown is wrong for the period and that no Texel every carried that smit-mark...

• Agree 3