What an extraordinary 'Great Leap Forward'  (even by CA standards)  while I have been away on a Grand Tour.

Working backwards: a wonderfully productive spell of modelling from James - the LNW brake/ the almost square mineral waggons/ "Lion" looking recognisably Titfield Thunderbolt and the earlier unpacking of the mysteries of Photon/Resin printers.

My Grand Tour took in an overnight in the Duke's Head on the Tuesday Market Place in Kings Lynn. - A place I have not noseyed around since my push biking days in the early 1950s. I was glad to see a lot has survived despite Lynn's  GLC 'Town Expansion' status in the mid 1960/70s - like P'boro and Ipswich. 

Incidentally Iforgot to ask who the Duke might have been (surely not the Duke of Norfolk at that time) ?

dh

• Like 4

About dogs:

Ten years or so ago when a present 14 year old grandson was small he hauled me off to a nearby Country Park outside Corby where we usually climbed around a stuffed iron ore mine steam loco ( Bagnall ?) 

On this occasion there was a genuine tepee erected for a summer project and a very friendly Inuit In residence with a reindeer stew simmering over a slow fire. 

He let young Abe and  I test out sleeping inside his tepee and told us all about his two dogs. He maintained all Canadian dogs were stupid - his Husky because why else would they put up with hauling fat lazy folk around over the ice all day and his Lab because they willingly let themselves be enslaved as Guide dogs.

dh

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Yes, they cannot pass a body of water of any kind without jumping in.  Full of sheep sh1t as they are, I find that northern becks are preferable to stagnant fen drains!

They come and lie on top of me in the night and wake me up at 5 am. Love is unreasoning. 

Thought I'd get Dr Newman's brake body rolling.  The solebars are spare 16' solebars from a Cambrian Kits kit (I only use 15' solebars as a rule), and they were the right dimensions. The fold up irons are from 51L and the bottle buffers, as per the Alan Prior drawing, are loco buffers from RT Models.

The vehicle sits quite low, but is a very good match for the drawing and seems ideally suited to run with the Birmingham & Gloucester wagons. 

I think I will need to build the springs and axleboxes. Having built springs for Lion, I'm fairly confident that I can make something semi-decent. 

IMG_1421.JPG.c9ebf247fd079268b5a05e9051a0bc0e.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG.7158e28ff19863237bb3d5042896ceb7.JPG

Great to see recent progress.

Martyn

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

James,

Have a look through the Wizard models site in wagon components, I'm sure you will find a set of wagons springs that you can use for the break-van (it wouldn't be a brake van at the time!). I think you can get North British Railway springs separately from axleboxes.

Andy g

edit: Wizards page of wagon springs starts here: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/page/1/?s=wagon+springs&post_type=product

Their page of all springs starts here: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/page/1/?s=springs&post_type=product

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, runs as required said:

On this occasion there was a genuine tepee erected for a summer project and a very friendly Inuit In residence with a reindeer stew simmering over a slow fire. 

dh

A wonderfully eclectic mix of ethnographic details there...

8 hours ago, uax6 said:

James,

Have a look through the Wizard models site in wagon components, I'm sure you will find a set of wagons springs that you can use for the break-van (it wouldn't be a brake van at the time!). I think you can get North British Railway springs separately from axleboxes.

Andy g

edit: Wizards page of wagon springs starts here: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/page/1/?s=wagon+springs&post_type=product

Their page of all springs starts here: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/page/1/?s=springs&post_type=product

Thanks, Andy, but not really seeing anything suitable. There are some grease axleboxes in the MJT range that are not too far off, but springs will be a stretch because they will need a flatter curve than usual with wagons.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks, Andy, but not really seeing anything suitable. There are some grease axleboxes in the MJT range that are not too far off, but springs will be a stretch because they will need a flatter curve than usual with wagons.

It may be worth contacting Chris Cox at 5&9 Models, as he sometimes will sell various castings from his kits, and there might be something suitable there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Why not just build them up from plastic strip the width of the spring leaves? Cut a 2 -3 the full length, then reduce the length down for the next four or five. Splash some Mekpak over them, centralising the leaves, and hold in your pinkies to form a curve for the Camber you want until they’ve got the idea, then finish off with short piece of strip in the middle to represent the buckle.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Why not just build them up from plastic strip the width of the spring leaves? Cut a 2 -3 the full length, then reduce the length down for the next four or five. Splash some Mekpak over them, centralising the leaves, and hold in your pinkies to form a curve for the Camber you want until they’ve got the idea, then finish off with short piece of strip in the middle to represent the buckle.

Which sounds like what I did for Lion.

Replacing these...

2035408499_IMG_1260-Copy.JPG.11d650ce627ee1cd9ac1fc4a29c2173c.JPG

With these ....

360428389_IMG_1365-Copy.JPG.cef27214259f09e22c0cebee837b2e57.JPG

The trickier bits will be the strap shoes attaching the springs to the solebar and the axleboxes.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Sorry, had to go back to bed - shattered - so feel I have lost most of the morning. A shame.

Anyway, yesterday I received a package, an item purchased from the Bay of Fleas.

IMG_1424.JPG.4a0bc5d223a5baf35eecb1dfb04f996f.JPG

It was a rather good scratch-built signal box.  It looked to Great Northern to me, and, indeed, some notes and drawings included with it confirm that this was the builder's intention.  However, it is also quite similar to certain GER boxes - there was a series around 1889 in Essex with more steeply pitched roofs, and similar boxes in 1903 on the Norfolk & Suffolk joint line.

All in all I thought it could be finished with brick paper and passed off as a WNR box.

Unfortunately (for me), when it arrived it transpired that, although sold as "OO", it is, in fact, to 7mm scale!

The seller has agreed to take it back, but since I have it here and it is a really nice model, I'd see if it was of interest to any parishioners of the O gauge persuasion. I cannot do anything with it until tomorrow at the earliest, so please let me know if of interest

IMG_1426.JPG.2f58e13bd8e95c9a401d57ba56e7a6a0.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG.f9aa6a754720a3d29d1cb5885271ce4b.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG.a1c810c21018d96a389f81f34706f895.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG.85dc98562652269df684e5b1f1f7eefb.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG.1593d542ea03c11cf2508abbdad4f905.JPG

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

My word that is nice.  A lovely old school 'O" gauge scratchbuild.

Losing mornings? - you have my sympathy James since I do that kind of thing all the time and sometimes for variety I lose afternoons as well.  But if you need to sleep you should and I'm glad you did.

On the subject of springs for wagons & etc and making them as outlined by Northroader I used to do exactly the same thing with sweating thin lengths of brass together and then all that was necessary was to saw off as many springs as you needed.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

The sort of signal box and construction method that i’m Intending, but I am set on making my own.

This “wrong scale from eBay” thing can cause disruption: I know a guy who accidentally got a G1 vintage tinplate wagon, and now has a house-full of vintage G1 things, having sold his vintage G0.

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

It is an odd build. The basic box has been poorly finished but then detailed with nice windows etc. It would have been much easier to cover with brick paper before adding them those brackets  holding up the walkway round the upper level will be a pain to fit brick paper round. I would probably try to  get them off with a scalpel. It will make a nice model with a bit of care and those windows would have been time consuming to  make.

Don

Edited by Donw
replace old with odd - naughty fingers!
  • Agree 1

There’s an Indian restaurant, in the former chapel of what was originally a Catholic children’s home, near to where we live, which has a full-sized replication of that painted on the very-high ceiling.

Which probably interests no one.

Sorry!

890A0E37-1CC5-4D10-A441-D8A3278A3F36.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1